I have osteoarthritis in my knee after a fall.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell full length onto a tiled floor in 2008 and badly bruised both knees. No problems until 4 yrs later when same thing happened. On both occasions left knee was the worst affected but both cleared up. The second time only the left knee cleared up, not the right one.  After a few months the right one was giving me pain and was still swollen. Dr sent me for an Xray which revealed osteoarthritis in lower left knee and told me to take painkillers when necessary. To try and prevent it getting worse I took up walking and now 2 years have no pain although the swelling is still there. It is usually stiff in the morning but otherwise not a problem. Will this inevitably become worse over time or is the walking keeping it at bay?

I know osteoarthritis is caused by wear and tear/age etc, and I am 71, but I feel this was a direct result of the fall. I tripped over the dog onto a tiled floor and the second time over a hosepipe onto a concrete surface!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jane You seem to be doing well.  the walking has obviously helped. I cannot say whether it will get worse or not just do as you are doing with exercise good diet etc.  See Gp if things get worse.  I assume as your gp said to take painkillers when necessary who just take something like paracetamol.  I have had OA in both knees since my early 40's, I am now 66.  I have managed well like you with occasional pain killers plus 2 lots of physio during flares ups.  It has not really affected me until a couple of years corresponding with other health problems etc.

Last year my right leg was very painful and I was going to have a washout but because the pain suddenly improved the consultant cancelled the op.  This year

it is the left knee and leg as well (So might be something else as well). I also fell

on this knee 3 years ago in doors and had a cut and severe bruising on the knee leg and toes.  In 2012 I fell and broke my left wrist but fortunately I was ok apart from a couple of small bruised on the leg.  Both times I recovered well enough but like you I think this latest flare up has been made worse by the fall.  I think I will have to be referred back to the consultant.  I also have arthritis inn the neck and spine.  I hope you continue to keep it at bay.  Good luck and take care

• Posted

Jane I should add that most older people will show signs of wear and tear on xray even if they have little pain, so the falls could have just made it worse hence the pain.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Libralady. I think you have answered my question simply by mentioning 'flare ups'. Presumably that is the point: one does get flare ups from time to time and I suppose they might get worse as the years go by. I have to say my mother had big problems with osteoarthritis of the hip and my grandmother of the knee, so I kind of expected a problem in later life.  I didn't realise that flare ups were par for the course. Thankyou for that, will just have to continue as I do and keep the finers xed it gets no worse.
  • Posted

With regard to flare ups my husband has it in the hip and swears that his pain gets worse during damp weather.  In the warm summer weather he will stay out working in the garden for hours.  I myself don't find any difference.  During the flare ups I rested  and took anti inflammatories for about a month had the physio and got back to normal mild pain .  I must confess I am not good about doing the 

exercises given to me.

• Posted

My grandmother would complain about it in damp weather too, especially during the winter.  She always referred to it as rheumatism but it was undoubtedely arthritis as she had the swollen joints in her fingers, I have too. I can't say I've noticed any difference but perhaps haven't had it long enough. Mum had lots of problems with her hip which ultimately transpired was due to bone infection after the first replacement  op. She subsequently had it done again thanks to that.
    • Posted

Jane.

i am so sorry to hear about UR mum..

I have been thru 3 THR and lucky I am still here as I has the last device recalled by the manufacturer. It has metal on metal pieces rubbing as I walk can cause heavy metal poisoning and death and case the pseudo rumors I have and joint failure which has prompted a revision in the hip implanted in 2011 .

I have osteo arthritis and have done well for many years. Have had many complications now I'm looking at stem cell therapy hoping to get into a clinical trial.

take care..

CHEERS

HOPE biggrin

• Posted

Hi Jane smile

My arthritis is very up and down.  It's mainly in my right hip and lower spine but my right knee is also affected.  Exercise and painkillers certainly help but in my experience wear and tear in joints tends to get worse over time as the cartilage continues to deteriorate.  I suppose we're all different though and I hope that you are one of the lucky ones whose OA seems to remain static.  I would mention the swelling to your GP though if it's always there.  The swelling in my knee seems directly related to ther amount of pain I am getting.

• Posted

It's interesting  what you say and I will mention the swelling the next time I visit the dr. Most people I know who have OA seem to get joint replacements confused and I don't know anyone who just seems to live with it. I have the feeling that the exercise has resulted in keeping it at bay. I also lost a lot of weight specifically for this reason and am certainly not overweight so that has helped too I'm sure. I am certain it all started as the result of the 2 falls I had 4 yrs apart, the second of them being the tipping point.  What does puzzle me is that the knee that took the worst of the fall doesn't give any problem at all.

• Posted

Maybe the swollen knee was on the way out anyway neutral  My right hip shows wear and tear but my left one looked fine on the x-ray, however I do feel that as my right hip is so painful I am now putting more pressure on my left and probably wearing that one out in the process.

I do think that if you feel you need a knee replacement you need to see your doctor or he will think everythink is okay.  I won't say you have to be a nuisance (?) but you do need to be persistent.  I am hoping for a referral with a view to a hip replacement but am at the stage where the GP just keeps giving me stronger painkillers which make me feel nauseous and lightheaded so I only take them if I'm not going out.

• Posted

The best thing u can do is ask for PT they will help u build muscle around the knees to provide support to the joint and longer life of the joint. How much longer...well no one has a crystal ball. I can tell u I fell 5 years ago down two steps on landed on both knees on concrete.

Tore the two layers of skin off to a 2-3 degree burn on both knee caps. Plus they both swelled up as big as melons. 

Dr reports showed damage to the knees osteo and the meniscus the padding between the joint , bones where the knee moves. Also joint fluid was removed to relieve the pressure. It took 3 weeks for the knee burns to scab over and every step made them open up, from falling on concrete . I was a mess.

Then after a week of PT I learned to strengthen the muscles and tendons around the knee, therefore less strain in the joint itself. I am doing well. I still have some knee issues. Reminds me to do my exercises then it get so much better.

Really to compare it two going thru 3 THR surgeries for osteo it's not bad.i think struggling thru hip surgery recovery can cause additional strain on my Knees. Each time thru PT 's always they addressed my joint issues & were very carful to assign me with palates type strengthening  exercises. No pain to gain strength in my knees at all. Helps to keep the body core muscles strong as everything basically goes from there.

Anyway that's my story. I think thru my experiences that PT has given me mobility for both hips and knees.

healing thoughts sent UR way.

CHEERS

HOPE biggrin

• Posted

Oh Hope!  Just reading that has made my eyes water!
    • Posted

I would think it means physio therapy.  Iam sure hope4cure will reply if I have got it wrong.  Good luck
    • Posted

Makes mine water thinkin bout it LOL

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

PT IS PHYSICAL THERAPY. 

sometimes I need a little to stay in shape and strong.water therapy is great..

keeps me off the meds. 

I hope it help you as much as I'd did me.

CHEERS

HOPE cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks for that. In my days at school PT stood for physical training - as opposed to games such as netball and hockey/lacrosse. Does that date me - probably!! biggrin
    • Posted

O yes in my day too! Now I dated myself..LOL

ISNT IT FUNNY HOE LITTLE THINGS take u back. . I wonder what PT will mean in anothe 40-50 years..

as it is this generation has never known life without computers, iPods email 

as for that matter I miss the old days. They even messed with the Twinkie recepe. I miss a lot about then. But advancement in technology have been a good thing too! I have a hard time just keepin up.YIKES 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.