I have osteoarthritis in my knee after a fall.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell full length onto a tiled floor in 2008 and badly bruised both knees. No problems until 4 yrs later when same thing happened. On both occasions left knee was the worst affected but both cleared up. The second time only the left knee cleared up, not the right one.  After a few months the right one was giving me pain and was still swollen. Dr sent me for an Xray which revealed osteoarthritis in lower left knee and told me to take painkillers when necessary. To try and prevent it getting worse I took up walking and now 2 years have no pain although the swelling is still there. It is usually stiff in the morning but otherwise not a problem. Will this inevitably become worse over time or is the walking keeping it at bay?

I know osteoarthritis is caused by wear and tear/age etc, and I am 71, but I feel this was a direct result of the fall. I tripped over the dog onto a tiled floor and the second time over a hosepipe onto a concrete surface!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.  A friend of mine just got a stem cell procedure done on her hip.  Pretty intense, though less invasive than a full on surgery.  It was out-patient.

Now we are sitting around waiting for the stem cells to do their thing, the bones to heal etc.  Just wanted to chime in.  We have lots of questions about recovery and no answers!  

Our first is:  Is it OK to take water pills during recovery?

We know the leg is supposed to remain "enflamed" to inform the stem cells which areas need help.  But her legs are also retaining water.  Can she take a water pill?  Or would that effect the necessary enflamation?

Anybody know?

Jeff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.