I have severe acid reflux and the pain is horrific what painkillers do people suggest please?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm going for endoscopy next week so had to stop my omeprazole, gaviscon not helping I'm desparate

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh I am so sorry for your pain! Glad you're having the endoscopy it will give you answers and treatment appropriate! I too had a terrible time going off the PPI because it caused a rebound for me and I was miserable... I used extra strength Tylenol and honey coats the stomach and can provide relief... Also I drink a ton of coconut water (not coconut milk) and just keep sipping on it and sipping on it and it has a cooling effect on the burn... Chamomile tea and many people talk of Manuka honey being an amazing help... And I use the calcium carbonate with magnesium liquid Rolaids it works better for me then Gaviscon... But be careful these can cause rebound in some folks too but it helps for an immediate relief that lasts a little while anyway... My heart is with you and I wish you great luck with your endoscopy!
  • Posted

Hi Lib,

Are you using gaviscon advance liquid? It's a bit stronger - and you can only buy that at the chemists. It's thick and gloopy - tastes a bit grim - but is better than the tablets you buy over the counter. 

• Posted

I had the Endoscopy, it is not that bad, I stayed awake so that I could ask the question straight away. You are then able to walk out about half hour after. I used Renetidine I found that worked for me, plenty of water, coconut water too sounds good. I am free now of Now of any problems. I used lots of Manuka Honey starting with 25+ for weeks and then 20+ Manuka honey is a natural Antibiotic. I chewed chewing gum to encorouge juices and keeps the Oesophagus moisturised. 
  • Posted

Yes sorry do not used the Ranatidine, for those weeks before. The Manuka will help and the chewing gum. I found Gaviscon a help too.
  • Posted

Watch what you eat that may help considerably.

If you are at all worried about the endscopy I would have sedation. Had it done twice now and its a breeze and you know nothing about it. Ok so you have to stay a bit longer and can't drive home, much better than worrying about the procedure for days.

• Posted

Hi, my wife has taken many pain killers, ( dihydrocodine, paracetamol, etc,etc). However, when she is really ill, nothing in tablet form stays down. The last time she went to hospital they gave her oral morphine to take home. When she is in agony she gets in the shower, takes the oral morphine and after about 30 mins she is better. Trapped wind is an awful pain to watch someone you love deal with, as well as reflux the other end. I hope you are feeling better and are calm.
  • Posted

Just to add that the acid in my wife was so bad, she had a Nissen fundiplication operation.
  • Posted

I am 65 year old woman, and although yes I was concerned about having the Endoscopy but so pleased I did stay awake. I did not gag when Swollowing the camera, it was not difficult. They had the screen near me, and I saw and heard all that was being said. I only gagged when it was being taken out. I also felt very pleased that I was not taking up a bed.
  • Posted

In my opinion calcium carbonate and gaviscon CAUSE acid reflux. Why? The stomach believes it is too alkaline because it measures the pH which is too low. So it PRODUCES loads of acid to compensate - its called REBOUND.

GAve me terrible pains and throat acid which I've never had until I started calcium carbonate in attempt to get more calcium. The stuff is poison for me!

When I stopped the calcium carbonate my stomach produced DOUBLE amount of acid. pain pain pain

A friend told me to drink coca cola because the phosphoric acid in coca cola tricks the stomech into thinking its too acid - so it produces LESS ACID itself. PROBLEM OVER.

MInd you, I am slightly addicted to coca cola now (after just 4 cans!), so that will have to stop. But I have no more acidity problems.

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind words x

I'm taking Tramadol for pain as I have a prolapsed discs too. I find that the Tramadol takes edge off but still in pain and I am concerned it may make my stomach worse,

I get advanced gaviscon on prescription and note with interest several comments about rebound acid I may leave that alone for a day and see. Am worried a little about endoscopy but haven't decided whether or not to have sedation . Can see benefits from both options will see how scared I am on the day x

• Posted

A lot of you mention manuka honey where is this available I live in Scotland xx never heard of it x
    • Posted

Hi again! About Manuka honey, it's from New Zealand... I am in the US and just researched yesterday online where i could get it here. You can order it direct and from UK and here in the US i found it at a place called Super Supplements... A store just for natural herbs and supplements. Picked a jar up and tried it first time last night so we'll see... It was $22 fior 12 oz. i am hopeful it will help. Lots you can read about it online smile and for rebound, it took me 10 days after stopping the antiacids to get back on track and it was a miserable 10 days! Wish i had known about the coca cola trick! smile i'd have done anything for relief! Now it's about two weeks since the rebound pain stopped and since i've had any PPI, acid blockers (ranitidine), or anti acids (calcium carbonate) and i've had a couple of short flares but can tell it's getting better. I'm very careful with diet. My endoscopy is the 17th and i am less concerned about what may be found now that the symptoms have subsided.... And i will be having sedation (i'm not that brave) :D my doc said she will come talk with me before i leave that day about results. I hope you find your relief! Remember tho, rebound can take some time to settle... More than a day for sure... Maybe try the coke thing smile
    • Posted

Hi Lib,

You should be able to buy manuka honey in any health food shop - it's not cheap - I have even seen it in Tesco's from time to time. My friend who sings professionally uses it when he has a bad cold - helps clear it up. I didn't use it myself - found a drink made with freshly grated ginger, fresh lemon juice and good old uk honey very soothing. Strangely in the stomach lemon becomes alkaline! 

I had my endoscopy without sedation - I was really scared - but it was over very quickly, and they told me their findings straight away. If you do go for sedation you need someone to collect you, and they will wait until you are more aware before they tell you what they have discovered. I'd see how you feel on the day - and it depends on how you find the people who are treating you - the nurses who I met were very kind - and one had had an endoscopy herself, made me less scared. 

Hope all goes well for you - and let us know how it goes!

• Posted

I was sedated - I'm a coward.  Walked out of the hospital an hour later.  No after effects.  Good luck
    • Posted

Sedations is not the cowards route its the sensible route. If you are likely to have problems swallowing the equipment its actually quicker for the hospital to sedate you.

I have had two endscopy, both done privately, and each time the doctors starting point has been sedation. I don't need to see what is going on and am happy to be told afterwards.

• Posted

It is from New Zealand, you can buy online , though. Unsure about the strenght as to what do they mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.