I have severe acid reflux and the pain is horrific what painkillers do people suggest please?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm going for endoscopy next week so had to stop my omeprazole, gaviscon not helping I'm desparate

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In England Manuka. Honey easy to get, in Holand and Barrat. Amazon also sell this online. The higher + the better but obviously will be dearer. I hope you get better soon.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi! When I had my endoscopy I tried to stick to ranitidine and Gaviscon (somebody already mentioned it but get the advance Stuff as it is much better. I had a Fundoplication surgery four weeks ago because of my reflux. I have since read up about DGL licqourice being real good and I thnk it is, you can get it from Holland and Barrett. Try and stick to food which won't irritate it whilst you wait for the procedure. Avoid tomato .. Havea lukewarm cup of camolomile tea after your food..and trywedge yourself up at nighttime. Hope your endoscopy goes well. 
    • Posted

What gets me is 'avoid tomato'.  Is it really so dreadful?  Also is it the only thing one should avoid?
    • Posted

I find tomato based products really aggravate symptoms such as lasagna, spaghetti Bol etc. despite having my surgery for GERD I have to avoid or limit them as I felt so ill the morning after bolognese. There's loads of foods to avoid but when you have such a condition as this, I find there's not much you can eat without being miserable. 
  • Posted

Best medication on the market is Gaviscon! Cures it straight away, also examine your diet!
  • Posted

Hi guys and gals

Well not sure if endoscopy can take place tomorrow now as have a chest infection .... the 4th since feb 19th by the way!!!!!!! GP said they might not do it ....

Does anyone know if there is a link between GORD and chest infections

• Posted

I think you are eating something that the stomach cannot digest very well e.g. Lactose from skimmed milk, dairy or gluten intolerance or even too many beans are indigestible for many.

Then your stomach makes too much acid trying to digest something it cannot.

Try to detect bubbling in the stomach after certain foods - if you get that then it's also the cause of the acid. 

We can get intolerant to certain foods at any time in our lives.

• Posted

Did you have your endoscopy or not? I do know they checked my oxygen levels before they did mine. It could be your chest infections are linked - but if your oxygen levels are down they won't risk it!
  • Posted

Evening all

I survived the endoscopy xx sore throat now tho xx

Nothing nasty detected but erythematous gastritis with excess mucosa

Good news back on my Omeprazole yippee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.