I have started spotting and bleeding while using hormone vaginal cream.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been using the vaginal cream twice a week for 2 1/2 months. Started some spotting ten days ago. Now it is getting heavier. In the little booklet, this is a side affect. I am post menopause. It has been 7 years since a period. Now sore breasts, mild cramping, etc. I think I will stop the cream. Has anybody else been through something like this with vaginal cream? Thanks.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It certainly can happen. Do you mind mentioning the name of the cream and also how much you were using.  I'm assuming you were given this cream for vaginal atrophy and dryness?  Has that issue resolved?  And curiously, have you noticed any other things while using the cream twice a week?

• Posted

Estrace, started 1/2 gram nightly for 7 nights then to 1 gram twice a week. Yes for dryness and va. The strange things that I have noticed beside bleeding, are too moist and loose (now is that crazy or what). I went from one extreme to the other. Other than that, I have no energy, it is completely gone. Are you using it? If so, what has happen with you?
    • Posted

Before the bleeding and spotting started, it was like my sex drive kicked into high gear. Now that I liked.
    • Posted

Hi Melinda,  I guess my suspicions were correct.  

I find some of the things you mentioned very interesting. I was originally (2013) told 1 gr every other day for two weeks, then twice a week.  The problem was I didn't like how I felt when I used it.  I would get a cold chill all the way up to my scalp. Then a quick dizziness and tingling sensation.  I never felt all that good the day I used it, but much better the next day.  I rarely used it, and a year later things were worse.  So i came home convinced I needed to be more consistent.  Vaginal atrophy and dryness are nothing to play around with.

So late August 2014 I started using it more regularly, just 1/2 gram very other morning.  So fast forward a couple weeks.  My scalp started itching and my hair started falling out big time.  In October I saw a dermatologist who said it was the Estrace, and to stop using it.  I will say that half way through that September, I started feeling absolutely great.  Happy attitude, good sleep, nails grew thick and strong, hair started growing more quickly, sense of humor returned.  I really felt likely old self.  So ti was very disappointing that I had the hair issue.  

Obviously the estrogen is causing some build up in your uterus, which is causing the spotting.  And I've also heard women talk about the too moist and too loose, as well as changes they noticed with the labia.  And yes, the energy thing can also be an issue.  There are a couple women I regularly chat with as far as vaginal Estrace and the things that they feel and notice.  Every women is different.  

I've tried several other things, as I really don't want the vaginal atrophy and dryness as an issue.  But unfortunately, I'm still looking for just the right thing.  

I will mention that when I was doing a patch and vaginal progesterone, my vaginal was perfect.  Had plenty of moisture and everything felt very normal.    

• Posted

Melinda, that sex drive doesn't surprise me either.  Estrogen play a huge role in our sex drive.  So yes, no doubt having some estrogen again did that.  It is wonderful isn't it????  Makes you feel like life isn't quite over yet!  

• Posted

For the moisture issue, I even cut the dose back some, which it helped with that. But, not the spotting. I know there has to be somethong else to replace the estrace. When the estrace is out of my system the dryness and va will hit me like ton of bricks. I have issuses with utis and yeast infections from dryness . Sometimes it is so painful I cannot sit down. I see my nurse practicioner (p. provider) Thursday for other issuses but wanted to discuss this first with her before going to GYN. They do not take time and explain like she does.
    • Posted

Well yes, there are plenty of options.  Some of them i really don't like the thought of.  My girlfriend takes a pill once a day called Osphena.  The way it was explained to her is that it pulls the estrogen we have to the vaginal area.  Now that may not be exactly right, but if it is my question was "well than what else in our bodies are lacking that estrogen?"  She's really gotten quite overweight since she started it several years ago, but don't know there is a connection there.  

There's also DHEA, which has recently came on the scene.  The studies show it does a good job with vaginal dryness. There's also a pill you insert called Vagifem.  It's a very low dose measured in micrograms.   Or you could try estriol.  It's the weaker form of estrogen, supposedly women in the UK really like it.  And of course there are all of those "natural" remedies, like coconut oil, lubricants, replens, to name a few.  But while some women see some improvement, I guess I'm cynical enough to  scream "Our bodies are NOT coconut oil deficient!!!"   They didn't need it before, so why would this really fix the problem now?  

But keep in mind, the changes that happen to the vagina are not limited to just dryness and atrophy.  In some ways, you could say those are actually the symptoms. The bigger problem is actually how  our cells change, as well as our PH.  Without estrogen, these things all morph.  So it's not a surprise you are having UTIs and yeast infections.  Many women also have bladder issues, and many women have experienced pain.  I've even heard from women who have difficulty walking because of this.   

So you are right to attempt to treat the issue.  Apparently the 1 gram of Estrace is a little too much for your system.  

Please let me know what you decide to do.  Maybe you'll find something that could also work well for me.  

• Posted

I am already on HRT, the e patch and p pill at night. I don't have extra estrogen to begin with. I do use coconut oil for comfort and pain. But, it is only short term. I don't like the spotting and bleeding at all. I lost my dad to brain cancer several years ago and 3 brothers have had cancer. So I think they will stop the estrace. But, they will need to replace it with something. I have tried replens, short term. But, maybe need to use more.

• Posted

HI Gail!!! I didn't realize this was you lolol!

• Posted

Hi Melinda,

Ok, so already on HRT???   But it still didn't prevent dryness and atrophy, which says you probably weren't getting enough estrogen to prevent that.  Are you doing the .25mg patch?  

I just know that my vagina was in really good shape when I was doing .75mg patch with up to 5mg progesterone vaginally twice daily.  If your HRT is a very low dose patch with 100mg promethium orally at night, it may be a little heavy on the progesterone.  

• Posted

P. Pill is 200mg. at night and patch is estradiol .05 mg change twice a week. P. Provider is sending me to gyn asap and requesting a biopsy. To top it off another uti😫. She said it was not the cream causing the bleeding. I am waiting for the appointment call.

• Posted

I've been on Estrace for a little over a month, for va and dryness.. I had a hysterectomy 16 yrs ago but kept my ovaries. Bleeding isn't an issue for me but I don't know if that is working or not. Reading the responses I can relate to a lot of them. I used 1 gram every night or 2 weeks, then 1 gram twice a week and using a period size amount to spread around the vulva and urethra. My second week in I had to cut down to 1/2 nightly bc it wasn't absorbing it was just collecting up there and putting so much pressure on my labia and my bladder was not happy! I cleaned out what I could and skipped a night then started the 1/2 gram. I did better. But the morning after, I have bad cramps, headaches, vaginal and bladder irritation and burning, frequent need to go, dizziness, it's miserable! I've noticed my skin is softer than it was, but my hair is getting thinner, not losing it but the hair shafts are thin and it's very dry.. I've also been getting joint pains, mainly in my fingers, that started on week 3 and is getting worse. I'm currently still on a heating pad since getting up this morning (I used it last night). I go back for a check up tomorrow so I'm going to be talking to my gyno about all this. I've kept a journal since starting it and writing down everything , there's definitely a link to my symptoms on the day's I use it and they're better on my days off...

• Posted

My goodness! My typo's are terrible!!!

That was supposed to be PEA sized amount not period!

• Posted

If you don't mind, please keep me updated. I do have arthritis but just thought it was getting worse. I had not connected the dots. This is very strong cream.

• Posted

Hi Melinda,

I've never had any issues with joint pains and muscle aches, except my knee, which I blew out the ACL tendon in 10 years ago, I can predict bad weather better than the weather man lol.

But my fingers have never hurt before, in the mornings I have to massage them just to get them to bend.

My doc took blood to test my thyroid today, she said a lot of my symptoms are most likely meno related but a thyroid issue can also cause them, so we're ruling that out. The Estrace has made a big difference in the AV and dryness, but I have a rectal prolapse that was misdiagnosed by my first gyno as a bladder prolapse, so next week I start pelvic floor physical therapy. If that doesn't work then it's off to surgery. I'm switching to Vagifem on Thursday to see if any of my other symptoms subside, apparently Vagifem doesn't get in the blood stream as much as the Estrace. But she still wants me to use the estrace cream on the vulva every night bc it helps so much with that dryness and urination. I'll let you know what the thyroid test says and how the Vagifem works out...

• Posted

Gigi, I wish you good luck. Hopefully, no surgery for you. I have been on estrace for 2 1/2 to 3 months. It is like my body has gone in reverse in some ways and worse in other ways. But, I will have to find something to replace estrace. Please keep me updated and I will keep you updated. We have to stay positive and strong.
    • Posted

Ask about the vagifem... I was orginally prescribed that but the first use burned like crazy, but I had just went through a month worth of treating for yeast infections and bv, which it was none of that, it was the dryness and atrophy, so a months worth of harsh creams I believe dried me out even more, because prior to that I had no symptoms at all, now that my pH is back to normal and the moisture is back I'm hoping the vagifem does the same thing, without the side affects. I've did some research and Estoril is an option, it's the weakest estrogen there is and it's bio identical. Our levels of that basically triple during pregnancy, and then go back down after we give birth, but it's supposed to do the same thing. I don't know if you're in the US or not, but here we have to use a compounding pharmacy to get it bc it's not "manufactured" here. I believe in the UK it's called Ovastin.. but double check that to make sure. Also, if you're stopping the Estrace, I used Replens a few times and it helped, but the discharge was gross, like wet toilet paper, supposedly that's normal because it's shedding the dead dry tissue. I also use coconut oil in between applications of Estrace. Just some option's if you haven't already tired them...

• Posted

I am in the US. I have seen alot of ladies on this site that use Vagifem. That would probably be my next step, if I can get it. I do use coconut oil and vitamin E. Also, have used replens. I went all day yesterday w/o bleeding till last night. This morning it is ok. I just know what the procedure will be. But, I want to see if they will do some blood work first. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.