I have strange feeling, like the blood is draining from my body and I'm terrified

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm just hitting the menopause and i already take HRT as I had a hormone imbalance. I also have epilepsy but it is completely controlled by medication. I have been having really strange episodes where it feels as though all my blood is draining from my feet and I feel lightheaded. These happen every day for about 10 days then stop for a week, then come back. I also feel depressed and my anxiety levels are through the roof. My doctor doesn't think it's epilepsy, he thinks it's stress which is made worse by the menopause symptoms. I'm 48. Has anyone had anything like this? I feel like I'm going mad. I cry all the time. Sorry this is so long 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi nic , yes hormones are very strange indeed, it could just be your body's way of having a hot flash without the heat, these symptoms come and go exactly as you just described, here for 10 days gone for a bit only to return the next month, and always some other symptom in between, I'm no doctor so best to get it checked out if you can and if all clear, chalk it up as crazy hormones!!! I don't have that feeling but do have so many others that make me swear this is it I'm a gonner !! Only to leave you a crying mess and so all alone!! Yikes not fair.... One of my symptoms at the moment is stiff legs and feet and hands, and face and mouth, and dizzy when looking up or turning to quick, I feel like I have ms and I really hope I don't I haven't been checked as my anxiety is just to high to go and find out, it always leaves me and then returns for a week on the same day the following month, and no matter how many months in a row I get it , I still freak myself out every single month... Its a very stressful time in life and , so sorry that your going through this so badly, hopefully you find something to help with your symptoms soon.. Good luck stay strong !!!!

• Edited

Oh my gosh Gypsy you sound exactly like me! “Afraid to get it checked because of anxiety” lol!! 

I kind of try to say to myself “well, it’s been a year, surely I would’ve died by now” LOL

As for the OP’s question.... YES what you describe sounds like something I’ve had. It was a very strange feeling, it’s happened a few times. I think it’s a hot flash without sweat! My mom said she had them sometimes like that as well.

• Posted

really? That is such a relief to hear. I feel as though I'm going mad xx

• Posted

CRAZY!!! Right.. Cant believe anxiety can do this to ya. These symptoms leave you absolutely scratching your head lol , and I never ever use to be like this its horrible scared to do anything or go anywhere.. What the hell is that, I'm the type of person that goes everywhere and does all kinds of things. Well not anymore, and I want to be able to do these things again, I want and need my independence back, and need to feel good again.. Sick of it all...

• Posted

Hi Nic, depression and anxiety are "normal" in menopause and perimenopause, but I have not had this blood draining feeling.  I do get numbness in my feet from time to time, but I know it is hormone related so not very concerning. 

Lets see if anyone else has similar feelings...would not surprise me at all if it is not one of the symptoms.

Hang in there!

XXX

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies, and for replying so quickly. It means a lot. I feel very alone and have never felt this bad before. i had post natal depression and even that seems a breeze compared to these feelings! I don't wish anything on anyone else but I'm glad there are others who understand how frightening and horrible this is xxx

• Edited

I’ve had something very similar for years off and on. I’m 56 and post since age 50 but at 49 many symptoms began to appear; this that you’ve described being one of them. With me, it’s as if I have an internal dropping feeling from head to toe, as if everything inside of my body is flowing outward...and I will often get a feeling of internally “dropping” or a pressure in my chest too. My heart checks out fine, as has every other test. It may be of interest to you that I’ve never had a hot flash; It may well be a version of one! I am also on a very low dose estradiol patch, but I had these episodes even while not on hrt. 
    • Edited

That sounds exactly how I feel, a huge internal dropping feeling. For a few seconds afterwards I feel too heavy to walk. My heart also checked out fine and I've had lots of different tests for various things and there's nothing wrong anywhere, which is good, but so annoying as I don't know what it is. So hopefully it is a version of a hot flash! I'm so glad I came on here, I feel more settled already. Thankyou so much for bothering to reply x

• Posted

Hi Nic - I know exactly what you are talking about...I don’t get it all the time, but when I do, it totally freaks me out...for me, I liken it to being in an elevator in a high rise & the floor drops out of the elevator.  This feeling is very different to the daily hot flushes/hot flashes I get, so I wouldn’t describe it as a hot flash.  I think it’s just when a major hormonal switch happens - this whole menopause thing really is not fun & I never thought there would come the day that I am jealous of my friends who have no symptoms & constantly am questioning “why me?” There isn’t a day now that I don’t wake up with something - so OVER IT! I would love to hear from women who have suffered thru this & now are symptom free - ugh!

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it, so scary and makes me so miserable. I never realised anyone else had these and I feel so much better knowing it's not just me. I feel like you and often say 'why me' Some of my friends have had virtually no symptoms at all. I'm really pleased as it means that I won't need yet more epilepsy drugs. How long do yours last? Mine must only be a few seconds but it feels a lot longer. Do you get depression with them too? I feel so bad afterwards but I guess that could just be the fear of not knowing what they are. I hope yours get better soon, they are absolutely horrible x

• Posted

Hi Nic - The one thing that always happens to me afterwards is I get “fog brain” I think it’s just all the capillaries in my brain & body go haywire - yes, i vasillate from depression to anxiety on any given day - I actually suffer more from anxiety than depression.  It’s getting  pretty bad when even your long time friend tells you maybe its time to change your attitude...but unless you have experienced this nightmare, nobody gets it - 

• Posted

Hi Debra, I get brain fog too, I hate it. Sometimes I can't talk properly or read for about 30min. I honestly feel like I'm going mad. I also seem to suffer more with anxiety, totally irrational anxiety. You're right, if you've never experienced this the you haven't got a clue, it's a nightmare. Just being on here has made me feel so much better, I thought it was just me

• Posted

Hi Nic - Unfortunately there are a whole slew of us peri/menopause sufferers.  It really makes me upset that there isn’t more education & drs who really take this condition more seriously.  My own GP who is a woman younger than me, just laughs off my laundry list of ailments.  All she  offers is anti anxiety RX & anti depressants & tells me you have no more hormones, you are in menopause!  I love her other than the fact that she is not well versed on hormones!  I am 61 and feel I might have missed the boat on going on bio-identical since I am 6 years past my last menstruation.  My symptoms have ramped up in the past 3 years.  I did have the typical peri symptoms like insomnia, flooding etc, but the really crazy symptoms like anxiety, brain fog, flushing, tingling in my extremities, dry mouth, bloating/gas/hot flashes/headaches/muscle tension/burning extremities/asthma/shortness of breath irritability/depression, etc just keep on coming  - I just would love for someone to tell me “oh you are almost finished”,  I think about my Mother & woman who have come before us with even less knowledge than we have & cant imagine how frightening it must have been for them - at least we know what’s happening to us - take care - be good to yourself - 

• Posted

i get the dropping feeling when I'm in bed, typically wakes me up from a deep sleep and I feel like I'm dying. i feel like my whole body is sinking into the bed and it's gonna suck me in. scary as hell when you're woken up by it and in a complete sleep daze. I've had to sit myself up, turn on the light and wait for the feeling to pass. I think I'm having a heart attack or something.

• Posted

Hi Nic. I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure out what your strange episodes of that feeling of blood being drain? I'm 52 , about 10 weeks ago i had a health scare and ever since then I have been experiencing weird sensations all over my body. Just recently I started experiencing the sensation as all blood is being drained from my feet to my upper body. I've vern freaking out, basically I have bern crying for the past 10 weeks. I dont know what's wrong! I am post menopausal. please let us know how your doing and if you ever got your issue resolve. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.