I have to stop drinking

Posted , 11 users are following.

I need help to stop drinking. I have been a heavy drinker for most of my adult life and have put my family through hell over the years. I tried AA a few years ago but struggled with the whole higher power concept. I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time unless I have consumed a significant amount of vodka. I have hit rock bottom but my GP surgery is closed for the Christmas holidays. I am going to an AA meeting tonight in the interim. Any advice please. I an desperate,

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just wanted to give an update so that all the lovely people who have supported me on this thread know that I am just going to sleep on my 10th sober day! Thank you all.
    • Posted

totally outstanding Emma. Soon 50 and then a 100. Just think of the future and waking up with a clear head and certainly also a clear conscience!! All the best and 2016 is your year! Regards Robin
    • Posted

Hi all. Hope you are all well. On day 21 of sobriety but this week has held good new and bad news.

​Bad news first. Had to attend a disciplinary meeting on Wednesday for being drunk on duty before Christmas. Painful, embarassing and emotional. Had the decision today and I have been dismissed for gross misconduct. I am worried, scared and very emotional with lots of thoughts running through my head.

​The good news is that I didn't pick up a drink and that my blood tests for liver and kidney function have come back clear. After 20 years of heavy drinking that is a blessing.

​I know that I am just at the beginning of my sobriety and life is going to get worse before it gets better but I am going to bed sober today and that is a good thing. Not sure if it will be the same tomorrow but I am taking it one day at a time.

​Good night, God bless and thank you for all of your support.

• Posted

You very strong in spite of all the problems you are facing and i salute and congratulate you. All the best fromRobin
    • Posted

Hi Emma

I admire your courage and strength, you are a better person when it comes to the demon drink than I have been.  I congratulate you on not turning to it on your dismissal, that must must have taken such determination.

Sending you my very best wishes for a prosperous and sober future.

Lizzie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.