I have to stop drinking

Posted , 11 users are following.

I need help to stop drinking. I have been a heavy drinker for most of my adult life and have put my family through hell over the years. I tried AA a few years ago but struggled with the whole higher power concept. I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time unless I have consumed a significant amount of vodka. I have hit rock bottom but my GP surgery is closed for the Christmas holidays. I am going to an AA meeting tonight in the interim. Any advice please. I an desperate,

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Morning all.

​I have woken this morning with a craving for the burn of vodka. Went to an AA meeting last night. It was very crowded and in a very small room. Felt claustraphobic and a little panicky but saw it through and was glad that I did. Trying to keep the craving away by drinking lots of non alcoholic fluids.

• Posted

Well done on going to a meeting. Try lots as they are all quite different. Drinking lots of fluid is good. Stay full at all times. I find if I'm hungry or sugar levels drop that I'm much more prone to cravings and giving in to them. Eat lots and treat yourself with chocolate or icecream. Coke with lots of ice is a treat for me so find a soft drink you really like. Keep in touch and massive well done to you..c X 
  • Posted

Hi Paper fairy,

​I will do as you suggest although I have never had a sweet tooth. I haven't eaten yet today as I feel nauseous and by habit I avoid food so that the vodka kicks in quickly. There is a lot of chocolate around at the moment due to Christmas but will try and eat some toast first. Thank you.

• Posted

I was like that for years when drinking. But after long periods of being sober my sweet tooth returned! My treats now are as above plus going out for a coffee and a cake! Funny how you change. Did put on weight but it's settled down now. The same happened years ago when I gave up cigs. 

Hope you have a better day today. I also find after a binge( when feeling sick and no appetite) dry wafer buscuits or crackers help plus banana and any fruit. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi,

I used to start with raw eggs then progressed to cold beans if I could open the tin. Loads of fizzy pop.

P.

• Posted

Morning all,

​Went to another AA meeting last night which makes it one a day for 3 days. Never tried that frequency during my previous visits. I would go maybe once or twice a week and think that was enough. I got a lot out of last night and there was someone there that I recognised from about 7 years ago. They are doing really well and still sober.

​I am so glad I have this forum though. As I struggle to pick up the phone and speak to people I can at least log in and read posts from people struggling with the same illness and realise I am not alone. I have a lot to deal with and the next few days, weeks and months are going to be tough. I stand a high chance of losing everything including what remains of my sanity.

​Thank you for listening and hope you all have a good and sober day. 

• Posted

HI Emma. SOunds like challenges in work and family?? That is enough to send people into drinking but DO try to stop and we will help you. Think of the mornings you wake up FRESH! You can do it!! Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin,

Great to go to work with a clear head and see some of your mates with hangovers.

P.

• Posted

Well done Emma and glad you're getting on in aa. I've made a few very good friends there who I stay in touch with most days. Remember to live in the day and not to dwell on the past or worry about the future. This helps me stay focused. Don't overdo things when you start to get you strength back. That's a big mistake for me through bitter experience. 

2015 has been a difficult year but I face 2016 feeling positive. I've mainly been sober but have had a few relapses in the last few months. I've learnt a lot from these mistakes though. 

This site and the lovely people who post their advice and experience on here have helped me so much. So thank you all who have taken the time to help me. Wishing you hope and happiness all of you ..C xx

• Posted

it is pleasure helping you and admitting mistakes is good and shows your strenght. May 2016 be your year! Robin
  • Posted

Hi all,

​Just an update. This is my 7th sober day. Been to lots of AA meetings and am feeling ok. Long way to go and I know that when I start having to sort out my problems it is going to tough.

​Hope you are all ok and thanks for all the support and encouragement.

• Posted

7 days!  Nice.

​Your feeling ok?  What does that mean? I hope you are feeling very proud of your accomplishment!  I hope you are meeting some new friends in AA.

​Yea, when we stop alot of problems come into our minds...that we were numbing...you will get stronger as you work thru them.

​I'm happy for you and Happy New Year!

• Posted

Hi Emma,

May I tell you a bit about my early days which will help I hope. I went to the railway to commit suicide such was my desperation. I ended up at the samaritans who took me to A.A. It was a waste of time as I was too pi**ed and spent the whole meeting having collapsed through the seat of a canavass bottomed chair. When the meeting finished, I went drinking.

I did go back to A.A. a few times and I too wasn't happy about the higher power concept. I didn't go again for a couple of years and stayed drunk.

I went back, took from the meetings the things that suited me, became a secretary, did service (making tea, opening up etc.) and it was the best thing I ever did. I've been sober since.... 25 years ago. I went through the motions about the higher power concept and then chose my own higher power. I coud then concentrate on the steps.

Initially, forget about a higher power...... it can be your dog or your front door if you want it to be. Just go, meet people who are in the same boat and make new friends you won't be to spend all your time drinking with, in or out of home.

I met one of my best friends at A.A. then more friends and more friends and kept my sensible drinking friends. It changed my life for the better - unbelievable! Please don't dismiss A.A. because of a God, religion or Higher Power........... if it doesn't suit at first, just pretend, it doesn't matter...... it's what the other aloholics share that matters. You'll hear your own story told by others then you'll realise that you're not as alone as maybe you think you are.

A.A. saved my life and I was able to help others too which is one of the best medicines.

Best wishes and have a sober tomorrow. Peter who t

• Posted

Hi Peter,

​Thank you for sharing. You understand me so well! When I tried AA years ago I didn't stick to it for various reasons and one of those was the higher power concept.

​This time I have attended a meeting every day for the last six days (2 on some days) and met some lovely people who have offered encouragement and support. I am not attending today as there are none local but I have spoken to one of the ladies who gave me their number at one of the meetings and I will go tomorrow.

​I am taking your advice and not worrying about the HP element. I will find that in my own time I am sure. At the moment I see the fellowship as being greater than me due to the support and success of its members and that will do for now.

​Happy New Year Peter and thank you.

• Posted

Thank you emma, that's great news; the more you talk to other members and the more literature you read, I'm sure you'll make up your mind what's best for you. Starting to go to A.A. meetings an be daunting and to deal with the anonimity aspect can be troubling. People will ask you why you don't drink; I found that diffiult to answer at first but came the day I just told them straight.

To go to a meeting everyday is brilliant so well done!

Yes. don't worry about H.P. yet......... I didn't for some time but eventually came to the conclusion that it wouldn't hurt me, might do me a lot of good and couldn't really follow the steps if I didn't have one.

Anyway, despite my life's up's and down's it's all worked for me. Sure, I make mistakes but after being a drunk for many, many years I had a lot of catching up to do and we learn from our mistakes.

Keep it up, I'm with you all the way and you really do help me a lot. So thank you.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.