I have tryed 3 ppis is there any point to try another

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I have had reflux ouseagitis now for about a year it was only about 4 months ago I started to take medication after endo showed grade 2 scarring taken omaprazole lansopaprole and now on nexium 40 and never had any pain in my stomach now getting cramps not to sure what to do still get the reflux and if I up the medication it makes me worse as I have chronic fatigue at a loss see ent this week after having barium swallow have a feeling he will tell me to up medication i don't think I will ever get rid of this is there any more tests I can have or thinks to ask I also have really bad bowel movements my reflux seems to repeat about a hour after my tea I don't really enjoy food that much now any advice much appreciated

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Russ, you sound very much the same as me. Ive been suffering  a year too and am on Omeprazole, Ranitidine and Sucralfate. At times my acid reflux is still bad but on the whole alot better, although it did take quite a few months to see some improvement, but i do still get the cramps. Have you tried doing a food diary as i have found that i am intollerant to quite a few foods inparticular wheat and chocolate (groan) which when by mistake i have eaten any of these then i take colpermin which eases the the pain from the cramps  until they have passed which is usually about 48 hours.

I hope this helps and you soon get some answers as i know how you feel and have had many tears in this last year though being in so much pain

• Posted

Hi thanks for info maybe I try and combine another medication keep a food diary and speak about changing medication frustrating unfortunately it's not my only symptom nevermind I keep trying different things thanks again
  • Posted

PPIs only reduce acid. They do not stop reflux which must be managed by lifestyle.

There are many different PPIs but research has shown they are all as effective as each other when taken in comparable dose - but some people find one more tolerable than another. The one that seems to produce fewest complaints (in my experience) is pantoprazole (Protium / Protonix).

They are a pre-emptive drug. You need to take them at the same time each day - half an hour before breakfast is best as the food will help propel them to the duodenum for absorption rather than breaking up in the stomach acid.

They take a few days to build up to maximum efficacy.

To reduce reflux you'll need to lose weight  (if necessary), avoid overfilling the stomach (eat little and often), avoid tight clothing, avoid exercise after food that will compress the stomach (including bending), leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed, raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

If you cannot control your reflux, you may wish to consider the possibility of anti-reflux surgery (ie fundoplication) - which I had and now I am med free.

If you are on a high dose of PPIs for a long time, you may develop hypochlorhydria where insufficient acid resulting in malsabsorption of essential minerals which could make you tired from anaemia but generally reflux disease can result in tiredness by itself.

• Posted

Hi so even if I try another ppi it may be the same I had 3 days where the reflux completley went and still can't figure out why it's frustrating, your information is really helpful quick question if my splinter is weakned if to say I stop the acid can it heal and strengthen to prevent the acid ?
    • Posted

There are differing resons for reflux. A weak sphincter is th emost likely. (Others are poor persitalsis and slow stomach emptying.)

A weakened sphincter may have various causes. The most common is a hiatus hernia. Acid production or reduction won't affect the reflux. A weak LOS is not an illness that heals itself.

• Posted

Right ok so sounds like I am up against it here it's just doctors keep saying once I get it pushed down it should get better but I have a feelin this is chronic
    • Posted

Hi,

I hope that you don't mind me replying to your message.  I have on-going acid reflux issues.  I am currently having a flare up after a few months of being alot better.  I am taking Lansoprazole 30mg once a day and have been told to try it twice a day.  If this continues I will have to have mores tests but my gastro dr has mentioned surgery.  Just with you saying that you have had it done - how effective was it and what is like eating/drinking after the operation and did you have to take much time off work?

Many thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

30mg lansoprazole is a low maintenance dose (equivalent to 20mg omeprazole) so doubling up shouldn't be a problem.

However, if your problems are mainly reflux rather than acid, a fundoplication may be a better option.

It was very effective for me. I was immediately off all medication. My own experience was the operation was short but I knew nothing of it. Afterwards pain levels were like a bruise. (I, personally needed no pain killers.) 5 small puncture wounds that healed in a few weeks to leave almost invisible scars. Overnight stay in hospital and home next day. Foodwise, I was eating soft foods (eg a fish pie the next day before discharge from hospital). Felt full very quickly - half size protions were more than enough. Lost 20 pounds in a couple of weeks before my stomach started accepting more food.

I'm retired but, depending on the physicality of your work (no heavy lifting) between 3 to 6 weeks should probably be ample time for recovery.

• Posted

Hi just seen ent today for barium swallow results he said it was ok my food is going down ok and has me in for mri of neck soft tissue with contrast I suppose to be on safe side.

I had results from a gastroscopy that showed scarring a couple of months ago and I told ent today I still can' t control the reflux he looked down my throat saying it was red and said he is from neck up so i have to see my gi what will they do next ?my gp has have me a prescription of prantaprazole is 40 mg is that right dose ?will it be any different than the others the endoscopy said erosions if this continues will it develop into barretts esougpgaus ? Just wondered if anyone knows if food enzymes may help and if it is ok to take with a ppi medication

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I will see how I get on doublling up on medication.  Its just my throat that it effects the most and makes it difficult for me to eat and I am back on mainly liquids only!  So would you recommned having the operation done and it was successful for you?  Can you eat normally now with any issued and without medication?  I have lost quite alot of weight from this too, that has been the only bonus from all of this as I did need to lose the weight.

• Posted

Ii have found that Ranitidine tablets really help.  I get most of my problems at night and taking these tablets mean I get a reasonble night's sleep. 
  • Posted

It's very frustrating when medication doesn't seem to work. I'm wondering if the meds are causing the cramping. Perhaps your doctor can discuss a diet regimen that can help because you absolutely have to change your diet if you have a bad reflux problem. For starters caffeine is not helpful. Even decaffeinated drinks still have caffeine, but if you have to have your tea, try decaf. Also, consider a probiotic like kefir. It's not a cure, but a lot of people claim it helps them.

Some things other suffers find helpful: Never eat a heavy meal before bedtime. In fact, no food 3 hours before bedtime unless you are very hungry, in which case select an apple or something bland like rice or oats. Try six small meals a day, large enough only to satisfy hunger. Never get full. There are a lot of great helps on this site. Take a few minutes to read what others have posted.

Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi thanks I will look into that kefir I think it's the medication causing cramping the only reason I stopped omaprazole is from side affects I was tired and it caused me nasal problems shame it actually worked better than the others I had low vit b12 before I even started taking ppis so I supplement now it's all part of the chronic fatigue I suffer I have a big cycle of things going on digestion is where I have to start looking at
    • Posted

Russ I think you have nailed it with fixing digestion will fix everything else as the gut is a complicated organ. I agree with Barrets that one should start with food. After years of suffering I am having a really concerted effort to cure reflux at it roots. My current doc reckons I have excess bacteria in the small intestine. Instead of this excess gas going out the bottom, because I have a hernia it is exiting via the throat as that is now the weakest point. This now makes a huge amount of sense to me. Anyway I have been on restricted carbohidrates since last Thursday and I can feel changes happening in my body. There is a fair book on this by Norm Robbilard. Dont think he quite nailed it as there have been huge advances in this thinking over the last 12 months even to the stage that you can test yourself at home with a lab test. I will be doing this in the next few days and will keep you posted if you wish? I think we are both in the same place at present. Just spent my third night sleeping upright. What really worries me is the number of young people being affected. It has to food additives and chemicals as it was unheard of in the fifties?
    • Posted

Hi Rex yes please keep us posted on how you are doing I am starting with some probiotics and hopefully this may help me and a quite a bland diet for me I think your right about the additives and chemicals I ate quite healthy before but I did overindulge in processed foods as well although I am not over weight I did eat a lot maybe contributed in some way hard to pin point been through a lot of stress so all would have contributed keep us posted Rex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.