I have tryed 3 ppis is there any point to try another

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I have had reflux ouseagitis now for about a year it was only about 4 months ago I started to take medication after endo showed grade 2 scarring taken omaprazole lansopaprole and now on nexium 40 and never had any pain in my stomach now getting cramps not to sure what to do still get the reflux and if I up the medication it makes me worse as I have chronic fatigue at a loss see ent this week after having barium swallow have a feeling he will tell me to up medication i don't think I will ever get rid of this is there any more tests I can have or thinks to ask I also have really bad bowel movements my reflux seems to repeat about a hour after my tea I don't really enjoy food that much now any advice much appreciated

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

ll to often PPI's get prescribed when low stomach acid can cause reflux. This just makes everything worse. It is a proven fact that as we get older. we produce less stomach acid. This in turn means your food isn;t broken down properly.

Another cause is overgrowth of bad bacteria (probiotics and healthy food should eliminate that). Food intolerances also play a part.

I have suffered for 3 years and totally failed by conventional medication have spent a small fortune on speaking to experts etc etc.

We weren't born like this so something in our digestive systems have changed. If you suffer from a lot of bloating and feeling like your food sits in your stomach - it could be one of the above listed things. One of my triggers was fat. If I had anything containing butter - I had a flare up.

Keep a diary of when your symptoms change. Try some high duty probiotics first. Then try some digestive enzymes which will help if it is low stomach acid. There is plenty of good info on here. It is a long process but you will get there in the end.

• Posted

Hi there mine was caused by stress to my body I am positive of that I was having hemplegic migraines and didn't sleep for months my digestion changed bowel movements a lot of things changed suffering from chronic fatigue so think it's all linked I just hope time is a healer
  • Posted

Hi, I was on Rabeprazole and Ranitidine but decided I would be better without drugs so gradually reduced until I just take one Ranitidine a day. I followed all the advice in this forum and avoid all possible triggers, eating only healthy food. I saw a homeopatic doctor and take some medication she gave me and I think that helps. Next week I am seeing a dietitian and then I shall look for a nutritionist. Keep a food diary and then you can monitor what you eat  and what you take. Chewing gum after meals really helped me.Try not to worry about it, just try to work out what works for you.
    • Posted

Excellent advice Hillary. I tried the chewing gum for a couple of months and yes it did help particularly with dry throat. However  I then found out what it contains and was horrified! Have a look at the very fine print. How cured do you think you are with Rinitidine?
    • Posted

Try organic gum, it's delicious and won't hurt you. Same with all kinds of food too. Go Organic.
    • Posted

Mick I nearly had a fit when I got out the magnifying glass and took a peek at Wrigleys Extra! I used to buy it by the box too. Could you tell me the brand you use please? If it gets "eaten" in moderation could you kindly PM me please. I have been using Emma from Greece but I couldnt see it doing anything. I suppose you hate dry throats too?
    • Posted

Same thing happened to me. I loved chewing gum until one day I checked the contents. I now use an organic rainforest gum called Chicza and I get it from the local health food store.

I read recently that chewing gum after a meal drops your stomach acid by 30%.

• Posted

After reading some of the comments here I'd like to know what has caused my reflux. I am slim, have always played a lot of sport, have no hiatus hernia and have always eaten a pretty healthy diet, although I did eat chocolate and enjoyed tea and coffee, which are all off limits now. My doctor thinks it was triggered by the death of my (younger) sister in April, in which case surely it should improve as I come to terms with her death. Previously I only had the odd attack about every two years, generally when I was away on holiday.
    • Posted

Hi yes I suppose it could be related it's difficult to say for sure but stress grieving can cause a lot of things I hope it gets better there is lots of help on this site from people who suffer I suppose it can get better for some people and others just can't find the answer good luck with things try to relax as much as you can
    • Posted

I would put stress up there at the top of the list. Next has to be diet. Have you had severe gastric or vomiting in the last six months? This really puts your gut out of wack and in particular the small intestine. Antibiotics can also be the culprit. As a simple suggestion see what happens if you drop all dairy, all grains, coffee/tea/cocoa, and all alcohol for at least a week. You measure whether you are improving by noting in your diary the severity of attacks - how many a night, how much acid in your throat, ease of swallowing etc. dont forget when you get mucous that is just your body doing what it was designed to do and that is repair itself. Lately I have just started using a fitness tracker. It has a sleep mode that very accurately tells you on a graph how many times you woke up, how long you were awake, when you got deep REM sleep, but most importantly when you had your attacks and the total time you were fully awake! Amazing technology and under $100. When I first got this I was totally shocked that my first attacks came less than an hour after falling asleep. I always thought it was hours later - we rightly dont have visible clocks in the bedroom as these absolutely cause insomnia! Interestingly my wife has one too and it showed us how I disturbed her each time I had an issue. I was totally wrecking her sleep as women tend to listen to kids and husbands!
  • Posted

I have all the symptoms you have and then some. I took nexium and then omnep. for years. Then Pantoprazole 40 mg. Now he bumped it up the other day to 2  40mg per day. I had the motility test...not pretty...but he still will not do a hietal hernia operation as he said too ricky since I had a malerotated/upside down stomach at birth. He said in a month he will see me again. I think i will not get better until operated on.
    • Posted

But Pantto. works so much better for me. So, what does that mean?

By the way, the concesus is that I would not survive a hietial surgery because of my birth stomach operation.frown

• Posted

Hi,

I have ongoing acid reflux problems too.  I have been on 30mg of Lansoprazole daily which seemed to really help but Im having a flare up at the moment where I have been told to try 60mg daily to see if that helps, I am not really wanting to do this as I am worried that the more medication I take the more my stomach will get used to this and then it will give me problems when i am wanting to reduce this.  However, I do find that having sips of Gaviscon throughout the day on a bad day does help for instance relief - have you tried this?

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Have you tryed a squeezed lemon in half a glass of water every day ?

it sounds crazy but it equalises the Akalaine balance in your stomach and has worked for many people .

Do you drink a lot of Coffee? Fryed foods? Late at night? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.