I have weaned myself off Sertraline over four months after taking it for 4 years at 50 mg per day.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Now i have been off Sertraline for the last 2 months. I have been having severe withdrawal symptoms like crying frequently over the smallest things, tightness in the chest and severe anxiety. Dont know what to do. But i will never go back on the medication again. I would like to know how other people have dealt with this and whether i will finally be able to beat this.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

I was on sertraline for my depression but it quickly upped my anxiety levels big time. Went back to my gp who admitted that it could well do so and I was instead put on fluoxetine much easier for me to cope with both my anxiety and depression.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike

Sertraline really helped me when i was on it but i did not want to take it lifelong so i weaned off it. Unfortunately my symptoms started two months after i had my last dose. I dont want to take any more antidepressants. My doc gave me lorazepam to take in extreme situations but i feel i might become addicted to that too.

• Posted

Hi Anna, OMG I am so glad I have read this post off you before I go back to my doctors to ask for help for me to sleep, following the end of counselling for rape.  I didn't have any idea this stuff was so nasty I have luckily turned it down but I felt I'd done the wrong thing!  What else does it do?  You may as well tell me the worst of it!

• Posted

Hi sam

Please do not take anything that will get you addicted to. I am going through the worst situation of my life. I wish someone had told me about the terrible withdrawal symptoms i would have after weaning off and that too under docs guidance. There are some meditation videos on utube like "mindful meditation" that can help you relax and sleep.

• Posted

Thanks Anna, I'm not taking any now that's made mind up, have a book on Mindfulness, do course if I have to.

• Posted

Thats really great Sam. I do not want anyone to go through what i am going through now. I used to be such a strong person once but Sertraline has made me mentally very weak. Now i have to fight to regain that strength of mind. But i will take each day at a time and i am sure i will get there. We all will.
    • Posted

Yep you have made me make the easiest decision ever, NO antidepressants ever!
  • Posted

HI Anna,

I fully understand what you're going through. I was on sertraline for a year, 50mg as well, and it helped me immensely with my OCD and depression. I don't know what I would have done without it at the beginning, until I could get other supports through CBT. But after about eight months, I was experiencing side effects like insomnia, a dulling of all my emotions, and I felt robotic and I just didn't seem to care about anything. I was such a flat liner I didn't recognize myself. I, like you, took about 4 months to taper myself off of it, decreasing the dosage very slowly every two weeks, then every other day, etc. I wrote down every dose I took, and how I felt so I could hopefully minimize the horrible withdrawal symptoms I had read about. Despite my best efforts, I still experienced withdrawal symptoms, like brain "zaps", restless legs, unexpected moments of anxiety that came out of nowhere, etc. as well as insomnia crying, anger, etc. I dealt with it using deep breathing, mindful meditation, and also taking a little dose of Valium if my symptoms were very intense. I'm not encouraging you to take something else that is potentially addictive, just sharing what I did to deal with my symptoms. I have a prescription for 5mg, the smallest possible, and I cut it into six pieces and one of those is my dose. I'm a very small person and that does the trick (helps the insomnia and anxiety) but I'm weaning off that now as well. And even at that small dose I will have to do a small taper, as I want to be off of all meds. Anyway, I live in a state that has legalized medical marijuana, and that has been a wonderful solution for me. There are tinctures, flowers, and pills one can take, and anything high in CBD and low in THC is medically therapeutic and does not produce any type of high. There is pain and anxiety/depression relief (I have severe osteoporosis and have almost constant back and rib pain). I don't know if this is available to you, and some people have mixed feelings about this type of "treatment", but it has been so prevalent here and gaining so much credibility, it was something I needed to try. I refuse to take any toxic bone drug, and I only want to put natural into my body at this point. I have also seen a nutritionist to improve my diet (I have been a vegetarian for the past 5 years) but my diet was very imbalanced. I am now eating a better balance of nutrients, and I've also added a Vitamin D supplement that I take daily. 

Its a slow process, even after being off the sertraline for almost six months now, I still feel some pangs of withdrawal. I know they will pass but it sure is scary to now realize how this type of drug completely infiltrates and changes the brain. I will not take any drug like this ever again, and am committed to finding healthy, natural ways to cope with my depression and anxiety. 

Last but but not least, light and gentle exercise, and lots of prayer always sustains me.

this is a super long post but I hope something I've shared with you helps in some way. You're definitely not alone, best wishes as you deal with these ongoing symptoms. But they WILL go away. We all have to believe that! 

Hugs to you,

Tiny Gal

• Posted

Thank you so much. This withdrawal has suddenly cone upon me. Started after a trip with my family around May25th of this year. I had stopped completely around the middle of April after gradual taper off for 4 months. Its soo bad that i hate being alone in the house . I have to force myself to continue my daily routines. Even taking a bath in a closed bathroom scares me. I have bever ever been like this before. I have stayed alone upto 10 days in this house and its never affected me. I cry all the time. Its got to a point where i will have to meet my doctor and see what can be done. I dont want to go back on any SSRI but i have to see what tge doc says. Feeling quite anxious about that visit. I do go to the gym and pray and talk to friends but nothing seems to help. I have a lot of changes to deal with also. My hubby is retiring in a couple of months and we have to shift house. Also the kids are gone pursuing their stdies
  • Posted

Hi I take 150 mg of sertraline which I find very good though I have never tried to come off it.

The official advice is to stay on the meds until you have been feeling better for at least 6 months before trying to come off.  Did you?  

At the end of the day it's your choice whether you want to go the medical route or the self help one.  If it's the latter then try mindfullness,  meditation,  yoga etc.  i have heard the herbal St. Johns Wort can help with mild depression but haven't tried it myself.   If you do decide to take it check with your doctor/pharmacist as it can affect other meds you are on. 

• Posted

I took it for 4 years on 50 mg and i was feeling great but i did not want to be dependent on it lifelong. Therefore i decided to get off and give my brain a chance to deal with life as it was intended to in the first place. I find that my family and friends are the biggest help i have. Plus i go to the gym and am now going for some meditation classes. This anxiety and depression i am feeling on such a scale came on suddenly after two months of completely stopping. So its definitely withdrawal. I have to just be patient and manage through this the best i can.
    • Posted

Hi Anna,

It's been a year, how are you feeling? I also have been on Zoloft for four years, went down from 50-25 two years ago, and am tapering off over the last month. I'm down to like 6mg a day and planning to take that every other day for a little while now, per doctor's recommendation. I've experienced no withdrawal so far, but of course I'm trying not to think about it. Hope you're well, just curious how your experience has been since you last posted. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Sarah hope you are well. I unfortunately have had to go back on sertraline 50 mg as my anxiety and depression returned full force after i stopped. So i was advised to go back on it. I suppose i will have to take it for a lifetime. But you please hang in there and give the weaning a good chance. Its different for different individuals. Cant generalise in these matters. Maybe you will be able to do a better job. I do have depression and anxiety sometimes but i will not increase my dose if i can help it. I find ways to help myself in these situations. Reciting the Lords prayer is one of them and it is helping me.
    • Posted

Hi Anna, hope you don't mind me joining the conversation.  I came off sertraline in March after a year of being on it.  I also tapered over 4 months and thought I was giving myself plenty of time.  But a month later I got random insomnia out of nowhere which has lasted 3 months so far and I'm now getting far worse anxiety than I did before taking them (I was taking them for post-natal insomnia).  I am desperate to sleep and am occasionally taking temazepam but obviously don't want to get addicted.  How many months were you off and did you go straight back on at 50mg? Did you have side effects going back on? A site called Surviving Antidepressants recommends only going on at a teeny tiny dose (eg 2mg!) but my doc also said to go back on 50mg.  I really don't want to go back on, I'm doing all the right things (yoga, mindfulness, counselling, acupuncture) but the symptoms are awful.

• Posted

I understand what you say but I think the withdrawal symptoms start when you come off it and not 2 months later.  This to me sounds like your depression has returned now the drug is completely out of your system. 

Like I said your choice though.   

• Posted

Withdrawal symptoms for some start when the dose is reduced but if it is reduced really slowly it does not become a problem then. It was like that for me. But after about a month or two of stopping completely the brain suddenly realises its not getting its fix. Thats when the problem starts. This is different for different people. I have read on the net that withdrawal symptoms can last from days to months after stopping the drug completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.