I haven't been thinking clearly for years and my memory is awful

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi,

I've been putting up with moderate but continual anxiety and depression for years now to the point where I think feeling like this has become normalised. However, as I get older, I'm realising that these issues are starting to severely affect my quality of life

For at least fifteen years now I seem to have been suffering from problems such as:

Poor short and long term memory

Can't think clearly or strategically

Poor concentration

Can't express myself clearly

Struggle to think of things to say to people

Seem to have nothing on my mind most of the time

Can't hold many thoughts in my head at the one time

If I read things I struggle to remember in any detail what they are almost as soon as I've finished reading, ditto if I'm listening to something

I feel emotionally flat

Have difficulty having a deep or meaningful relationship with anyone

These issues are permanent and don't come and go - for example, I can't remember a time when I've felt clear headed and able to remember things well.

The frustrating thing is that academically I seem to be quite smart but my cognitive ability is very poor. I went back to uni 6 years ago, did well and I recently got a good new job. However i am struggling due to my memory, concentration and ability to deal with multiple strands of information. It's being noticed and commented on by colleagues and I'm really worried I won't be able to cope and will have to quit.

I've found I've always struggled at any workplace I've had due to these cognitive issues but until now have always had mundane, low responsibility jobs where I could get away with it.

I'm on propanolol every day which lessens some of the physical symptoms but I still get tight chested and short of breath when stressed and minor things (mostly at work) get me panicky.

I've tried prozac which for 8 weeks which had no noticeable effect and citalopram for 6 weeks which just made me nauseous and gave me a weird feeling in my head. I took venlafaxine for the first time on Saturday and it floored me - Sickness, diarrhoea, dizziness, pressure in my head and anxiousness. I'm scared to take it again now- there's no way I could go to work like that.

My doctor booked me in with an NHS psychiatrist but the waiting list is 9 months so I'm thinking I'll have to go private, which I can't really afford but I need to do something about this. I've ignored it for too long.

I'm feeling really hopeless, withdrawn and worried right now. Has anyone experienced similar long term symptoms and if so, have you found anything that's helped make things better?

Sorry for the rambling email but I've not really talked to anyone about this other than my doctor and I really need to speak to others about this, hopefully people who have gone through or are experiencing similar issues.

Thanks for reading.

Col

5 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Me completely - Col, please tell us you've found a cure!?

• Edited

There is a permanent fix for thissad sorry for the long post, but if it helps someone then smile ).

I have been going with similar phase. But i do recommend something.

I think all these things start to happen when you have excess pressure and stress or depression, which i think make the brain numb.

So, First of all test your vitamins levels. Mostly the main factor is B12 and other variants of Vitamin B.

Secondly, I think brain goes into deep hibernation or response numbness. I call it "rusty brain". Now you have to something to crap off the rust. Re-energizing brain neurons with the help of meditation.

How to do meditation :

(Original video was in hindi, translated to English. So there might be some language errors)

So the process of meditation is explained in the initial minutes. I recommend you to follow that methodology.(As there are various)

Now at least do that for 3 to 6 months daily, depending from how long you have been facing this issue.

( If you didnt get the meditation method from video i will explain you here)

Thirdly, don't pressurize yourself to perform better. Stress is brain's enemy. So you need to chill relax and enjoy the life. Eat healthy and avoid meat. Do some exercise or yoga for at least 20 mins a day

Fourthly, Don't stick to Digital world ( i mean to say: dont use mobiles laptops unnecessarily) Actually we have tendency to lessen our suffering or getting over boredom with the help of digital world( scrolling through the facebook post and unnecessarily watching youtube videos). This creates distracted thought process or numbness( just feeding information without really processing that info. Which leads to information overloading. Brain gets confused: which info to process or to store, The real world or the virtual world.)

I am saying this because our brain is in weak stage. So first we need to strengthen it, so it can process thoughts and information effectively and efficiently.

And last thing don't be lazy. Stand up do the work that you have thought.

And avoid multitasking as much as you can for certain period.

So what we are doing here and why all these restrictions. ( Its like you have to go to gym to make the muscle):

Actually first we are dosing what is deficient. So the brain get its fuel.

So with the meditation we are training our brain to function properly, because it has really forgotten its abilities because of huge stress.

So in meditation brain again learns to process thought calmly and step by step only focusing on required information. Increasing focus, decreasing anxiety and stress.

Lastly the digital thing is like parasite for our brain. So for a period of time it is necessary to avoid this parasite and need to strengthen our brain.

*Note*(for men): " If you are overmastrubating please limit it( max 2-3 times a week) which depletes our resources".

Thankyou. And sorry of this long long post (and for english lang errors if i did any, english is my second language)

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I really like your comment.  I 100 percent agree with the meditation and stress points. Stress is the number 1 killer but please look into my comment about the eyes. It will help 
    • Posted

I will try it. I too have had similar symptoms. For me I described it as a brain fog where my memory was badly shot up and I just didn't have much on my mind. This condition happened all of a sudden at 14 years old and before it, I had the exact opposite I was a very healthy person who could think at a million miles a minute and I had a great life. And by all of a sudden I literally mean I was fine one day and like this the next. Now I am 17 and my condition is still there. I like your ideas about anxiety and meditation but I never really noticed I had anxiety as I was always an extrovert (but maybe it's one of those weird anxiety variants.) Anyway, If you have any ideas on how I could get better that would really help as this condition is pretty debilitating and I just hope its not permanent and that I can return to normal.

• Posted

Hi, the solution to this problem is your eyes. I know  it sounds unrelated but I somehow got lucky enough to find this. I'm sorry that you have been dealing with this so long. Download the App accleread. It will train your eyes and help you think a lot faster. Sometimes I find myself in extreme euphoria just my own thoughts. I understand this problem and I know that sometimes you might be trying sooo hard but still can't get stuff done. It's your eyes. You might have a very slight form of lazy eye. I know this sounds crazy but just trust me. Get the app accleread and make sure to use your eyes to read. And it's free but you'll want to get the full app when you start seeing the results.

• Posted

I know this is was 3 years ago when you posted this . but have you overcome this problemb because I was in shock reading your post as I have the same problemb I put it down to anxiety and ptsd and a whole list of over problembs but not sure . I have quit all my medications as i though that would bring my memory back but im still the same I cannot watch tv anymore and my concentration is awful any advice would be greatful . also when people in my life talk to me its as if it all goes through me withought any though.
  • Posted

hi col

i to have this problem my long term memory is fine but its short term i have a problem with and i cannot concentrate or remember things that have just heard i listen but like the saying goes through one ear and out the other that how it feels like i just recently left my part time job as a waiter due to my memory and concentration id forget peoples orders and have to repeatedly ask them what they were having even when i try so hard to remember and concentrate and my employers got really mad with me about it. i failed my GCSEs because of this as well i could have listened to an entire lesson and by the end of it not remembered a thing

this started about 2008 when i moved back to the UK from ascension so it was a big move and i had just started school so everything change shortly after my parents got divorced so that adds more fuel to the problem ever since i couldn't really make friend and when i did i could never understand them it hard to explain but i never felt they truly liked me and were out to get me this is the same with my family but not as bad it doesn't help i was bullied most of my school life in 2015 i moved to my dads and step mum and her family hoping it might change and it just made it worse my dad took me to a family therapist but it didn't help and i don't really remember what it was about i think school put me in it due to what i would write in my books and then in 2018 i moved back when my mum because i was getting worse he just wasn't helping and i like i said i felt i wasn't wanted and they were out to get me

also i have trouble day dreaming i could be listening to something and then the next thing i know i've been daydreaming for ages i don't feel like ive got any control over it

i don't like interacting with people ill happily go out somewhere but i struggle with groups of people even if its a mall amount i feel like im going to have a panic attack also unless someone speaks to me i wont speak to anyone unless their family even then i'm rather quite and struggle to keep a full conversation. until recently i couldn't look anyone in there eyes id just look around or something in there general direction and even now after i've had conversations i have panic attacks nothing big just ill start shaking and lightly crying

another thing when talking to people and interacting with people is i worry ill do something stupid or up set them and often if i get blamed for something (i have a little brother so that happens often) or feel i need to say something or stand up for myself i don't and ill spend most of the time especially when i was at work trying not to burst into tires because i do get upset easily and i don't have much self confidence

on top of this i do suffer from depression (self diagnosed) and have been know to self harm and i beat myself up physically and emotionally over little things for the past couple of years i started to think that it has something to do with something in my brain like cancer or a tumore or a brain defect but i have no clue and thats when i found you post and now i'm not alone

i'm not on any meds but have been on some med in the past but i don't know what they were

nice to know im not alone-simon

• Posted

All what you describe are signs of being an empath. Please look into it. I hope it will help you.

• Edited

hi, thanks for your post. I totally relate to what you said. Ive dealt with my depression and managed for years, Im 33. ive been hospitalized at 26 and tried pills but it made me even more depressed and hated that feeling. Just the other day I had a panic attack and I feel was brought on by stress from work. it got so bad I called out sick from work, went in today and struggled being there, forgetting what I had to do. Hoping people wouldnt talk to me cause I wasnt clear headed. What does help me is telling my family how I feel and writing down my thoughts. Worse thing you can do is act like everthing is fine. I recently got a rx for a marijuana card and got some drops hoping that would help with pain but didnt. It did jus make you feel good and relaxed. But the other day when I had a panic attack I had a gummy I bought online and felt it may have caused it as well as my own stress. I never had attack that woke me up from sleep.

Good luck to you.

• Edited

hi there,

ive been feeling the same way, and never knew how to explain it... i have searched the internet on and off, never found anything to confirm why i feel the way i do. thank you fir making feel like im not alone!!!

i thought i may have learning difficulties so i went to a gp a couple of years ago and she said "it can take years to diagnose in adults, whats the point in looking into it now, you have a job and married with a family so what exactly would you do with your life now ? " this was so upsetting for me... i then saw a private psycologist who also wasnt able to help me. he said it would cost me too much money, he was right i couldnt afford to pay for the sessions but it left me feeling lost. i then had to will myself to think positive, andthat nothing was wrong with me ...a cycle i have been through so many times ... i was taking meds for epression at one point too but they didnt help at all. so i kept telling myself that it was all in my mind, and no one understands when i tell them, they dont see me the way i see myself. i am 44 and just getting by at work, been in the same grade for almost 20 years, everytime i have been temporarily promoted i have not fulfilled other peoples expectations. i feel like let people down, but its others that are always pushing me to aim higher and i actually dont want to fir all the reasons you mentioned, and that all goes around in my head. is there anything i can do ?. .

• Posted

While reading the above text I felt like you are describing everything I've been feeling for a year now. How to resolve it. I've been known to be smart but now I'm not sure about anything

• Posted

While reading the above text I felt like you are describing everything I've been feeling for a year now. How to resolve it. I've been known to be smart but now I'm not sure about anything

• Edited

this described me and everything that i have been going through since childhood now i am 25 and still have not been able to get any help or figure out what exactly could be wrong with me and its starting to affect every part of my life I now have a newborn son and i don't want this too affect the way I love and treat him and his mother my girlfriend. its hard to get through even when writing this response to people who are dealing with the same things i deal with if anybody knows a positive way to cope other then smoking marijuana or self prescribed medicine i would greatly appreciate the knowledge since i am unable to talk to a professional who can help me dig deeper into these issues and overcome them

• Edited

I'm 17 and this has been happening to me for a really long time. It just keeps getting worse. I isolated myself at home this entire summer because I didn't really have anyone to be with. I always confuse people and don't know how to express myself well. I've been infuriating my mom with how intense it is for me and I feel like she's tired of me. Sometimes she threatens to kick me out because she can't deal with all my s**t. I've been struggling with friends, when I first meet someone they think highly of me but when they get to know me they laugh at how dense I am. I've been called stupid (not in an intentionally mean way but it hurt) and they seem to look down on me and not take me seriously. I don't wanna be like this but idk what to do. I have ADHD which might explain it a bit, but the fact that others with ADHD I know don't act the way I do in the way we're talking about which upsets me because I still don't have an explanation. Why can't I think clearly?? I just want to know what's wrong with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.