I just don't know what to do

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on citalopram 20mg for seven weeks tomorrow and I'm still very up and down with the anxiety. I spoke to my doctor today and he said that I should go up to thirty because if 20mg was going to work for me it would have done by now. I just don't know what to do. I was on 20mg up until last year and I was great on it. I'm just scared of going up to 30mg because I'll get worse again before I get better. Please can anyone tell me if it's normal to still be up and down at this stage.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gemma, 

Give it more time. I’m on 10 mg and today starts my 14th week. I had anxiety all the way up to now. It does come in waves but it slowly decreases. Try not to focus on it. I know it’s hard but go for a walk. It really helps with the anxiety. I try to walk every day. It’s hard with working 10-13 hrs a day. But I squeeze it in. The days I don’t I notice I get some anxiety. My sleep is also coming back. It’s a very slow process with this med. I’m praying for you and Kelly 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I’m here if you have ?’s

Will😎

• Posted

Hello will ..that's exactly right when those waves hit me I went outside for a walk..it will calm your nerves when outside .staying inside causes you to think over n over again which makes it worst..or I would zap my body with a cold shower...it works trust me..

• Posted

Hi lois,

I totally agree with the water, I could live in water, lol. Either hot or cold for me. 

Will😎👍🏼👍🏼

• Posted

Thank you Lois and Will for the advice, I don’t know how I’d get through this without you all on here. I’m trying to be as positive as I can and just keep hanging on thinking about what I can do each day rather than what I can’t.
    • Posted

Hi Lois,

Does taking a 1/2 minute cold shower per day help? I agree with the going outside, I go for walks or sit outside to go clear my head 

• Posted

Yes zap your body with cold water it totally changes the way your brain is thinking..most of these anxiety symptoms are mental even washing your face with cold water totally does it..is a small relief ..but is better than nothing..
    • Posted

Gemma, 

If you didn’t do this yet start cutting out caffeine especially chocolate. I also drink a lot of water over 2 quarts a day and the walking is important or running. Any exercise. 

Will😎

• Posted

I’ve switched to chamomile tea and I’m trying yoga but I don’t think I could do to do something like walking or running too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.