I just found this forum. I am a nurse from USA and have have Achalasia for greater than 15 years.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just found this forum. I am a nurse from USA and have have Achalasia for greater than 15 years.

I am a 55 year old male. Male nurses, I understand, are more prevalent here than in the UK and many other parts of the world. I find that support groups and forums can do a lot of good. I know I felt excited when I found this site. It helps to connect with others who know what we are going through. Achalasia can cause us to do things associated with eating that are embarrassing and appear crude; therefore, it can take ones dignity. The men in my parish go brook trout fishing each year in the autumn. I love camping and fishing, although my fly-fishing form is anything but poety-in-motion. I will not go because I would keep the rest of the campers up with my nightly hacking and coughing. (I'm considering nominating my wife for sainthood for what she has endured. I look forward to getting deeper into the subject and reading other's posts.

4 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well there are many theories as to why people get achalasia. It can be a symptom of another disease called chagas disease. This is a parasite you can pick up in brazil. I have been tested fir this and itcwas negaive (gogle it if youve been to brazil.

It may be caused by a virus but this has not been identified. Doesn't mean it isnt there. It may be genetic. It may be an auto immune disorder though no-one has identified auto antibodies as a singular cause. I have read it can start as a result of eating too quickly and eating or drinking foods that are too hot (guilty!!).

I couldnt begin to guess the cause but i think acid reflux and damage to lower oesophagus nerves may be a cause.

Your experiences of a wedge pillow parallel mine. I too slid down it when asleep and i just didnt find it very comfortable so i used three pillows. But the secret to a decent nights sleep is tobtry to make sure there is nothing in your oesophagus when you go to bed, not even water!!

• Posted

Mine was because of a gastric band.  After two or three years the stomach pouch was no longer taut and expelling the extra food right out like it should.  It just piled up in the esophagus and apparently, I didn't get the message!  I just thought the band was working on it.  My surgeon was in Mexico and due to complicated back problems and the fact that now I needed a passport after 9/11, I didn't go back to see him.  I didn't get properly diagnosed for 8 more years.  So my band was removed and after 6 months things did not go back to where they should.  Damage had been done and the muscle shutting my stomach off from my esophagus was dead, along with all my peristalsis.  Lucky for me Mayo Clinic is 10 minutes away from me and my insurance covered it!  I'm one week post op and learned more and more what to expect.  I'm finding that I can hear my food and drink "groaning" down my throat and so can anyone sitting with me.  How embarrassing!  Does anyone else have this?  I had this with the band but now with it gone do  not understand.
    • Posted

I have had times when my 'plumbing' has made noises.   I think for me at least, it was something to do with the shape of the oesophagus (I had a pouch at one stage), and mixtures of air and saliva / food & drink sounding like a drain.   It may be that it might be affected marginally by how much air you swallow as you eat, how long you chew food for, and perhaps the consistency / liquidity of food that you are swallowing at the time?   

If it is now working better, my advice would be to try not to worry about the noises, and that in time they may reduce.

• Posted

Thanks, Alan.  I'll concentrate on the air I swallow and do better with the food textures.  My doctor said I could eat soft, so I figured ground beef chewed well would work, but maybe I'm pushing it.  I'll take a few steps back to more blender consistancy for now.  But I'm relieved to hear your sound effects have diminished!  Gives me hope!
  • Posted

Just an update of my experiences five weeks post myotomy and fundoplication

I have just started eating a more normal, but still softer diet. Firstly previous symptoms of a saliva filled oesophagus have gone completely. I no longer suffer with reflux at night and can sleep comfortably on two pillows, no more being propped up with half a dozen pillows to sleep. I do wake up at night with stomach pain. Not every night and it feels like painful wind but i dont have any bloating. I find drinking half a glass of cold water helps. I dont experience any other pains and the small scars have healed very well (using bio-oil).

I find my appetite for more solid food is very poor. I can manage soups and slushy food but ive no appetite. This to some may be a good thing as i have lost nearly 3 stone. Ive dropped from an unhealthy 16 stone ti a much healthier 13 stone. Downside is a whole wardrobe of clothes that dont fit.

Swallowing food is ok. I still experience a little dysphagia with some slight sticking of food in the oesophagus but this is aided by chewing well and drinking plenty of water. Swallowing food past the fundoplication wrap is slightly strange and feels like it requires a little change in eating habits. Swallowing slowly and sitting up straight. I find it helps to drink a glass of water after a meal and to walk around a little.

In respect of tablets im only taking pantoprazole to stop acid in my stomach.

So really only negative is poor appetite and feeling like ive had a gastric band, but smalk price to pay for being able to swallow and no reflux at night.

• Posted

Hi, could you tell me if you had food sticking in your chest with Achalasia? I am waiting for a Barium Swallow. I had an Endoscopy 4 months ago and it showed I had inflammation, small Hiatus Hernia and H Pylori, and was put on a course of antibiotics for the H Pylori. The Endoscopy did not show Achalasia.

When I have food stuck in my chest, I get a lot of belching/gagging and bits of food coming up. This can go on for 2/3 hours until whatever is stuck is cleared. Did you have this problem? Sometimes, I can't burp either and this feels uncomfortable. What foods did you eat before your operation?

I hope I don't need a Manometry test, because I have read that this can be quite dreadful. I don't like anything down my throat because I have a poor gag reflux.

Hope you are now feeling much better after your operation.

Merryl

• Posted

I have achalasia and I have the same symptoms. The barium swallow is the first part of the diagnosis. For comfirmation they do a manometry (it's not that bad and this is coming from a 13 year old). The endoscopy does not always find achalasia. I wish you the best of luck!!!
    • Posted

Hi sazo

Sorry to hear you have Achalasia at such a young age. How do you cope?

I had the barium swallow done 4 weeks ago and my Dr told me I have a motility problem but it is not bad. I was not told I need a manometry  I am going to see him soon to ask more questions. I have just come out of hospital after spending 10 days there for something else so could not see him before.

Merryl 

• Posted

Graeme this one is for you.

The symptoms sound right for achalasia but your history ( what you say has already happened to you would cause one to Think, not.

Each of us is intelligent and like to think for independently, but if you are having signs and symptoms similar to what is being described, ask the doctor. I, nor anyone hear is qualified to diagnose. The ailments you have in your history would typically be treated in the "opposite" way

• Posted

That is the above queStion is for you. The comment was for Merryl

Merryl, as you described the symptoms, they could be cause by diagnoses you already have. The body has a small vocabulary. For instance, you stomach can hurt, feel full, or be nauseated . That is most of the symptoms one can have. On the other hand there are thousand of things that can be wrong.

• Posted

Hi Meryl. The symptoms you describe could be those of achalasia. The diagnosis of achalasia is based on

A number of parameters. Achalasia is a condition where the nerves which control the muscles ofcthe oesophagus cease to function properly. So the normal contractions that push food down and into the stonach dont work as they should. Often the muscles controlling the gastro oesophageal sphincter do not relax propely and food tends to stack up in the oesophagus causing pain, and regurgitation. Sufferers also experience reflux of food or liquid from the oesophagus , especially when lying down asleep. Its a very disressing condition. A gastroscope simply rules out any physical obstruction such as a growth or any reflux damaged to tissues which could cause dysphagia. A barium swallow will show that the contractions of the oesophagus are disordered i.e dysphagia. The best test is the manometry test. It is not at all painful. It is a little uncomfortable when its pushed up a nostril and as it tickles the back if the throat but sipping water as it is pushed down alleviates any gagging. Believe me its not that bad. Sometimes they leave the tube in for 24 hrs to measure acid reflux. These tests will allow your clinician to determine if you have achalasia. But a hiatus hernia can also cause swallowing problems and is easily repaired with a minir op. So have the tests and hopefully your problems wont be due to achalasia, which can be a progressive condition, and willl simply be due to a hiatus hernia, easily fixed.

• Posted

One other thing you asked about foods. Well everyone is different but many people complain thst foods such as bread and potatoes and rice can be difficult to swallow. Meryl you have gad a scope abd this has shown a hiatus hernia. Reflux inflammation and H.Pylori. These factors alone are enough to cause dysphagia as you describe, food sticking, regurgitation, belching/burping. But of course they can also be symptoms of achalasia. You need the tests.
  • Posted

Graeme

I bow to your choice of words , great reply

• Posted

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for your reply. I just hope It is not Achalasia. I have read, it can be dreadful to deal with. My Dr referred me for an urgent scan 6 weeks ago to a Speech & Language but still no appointment. Could you tell me what involves the Speech & Language?

Regards,

Merryl

• Posted

Hi Graeme,

I forgot to mention, I also have Hypothyroid and Lichen Planus. I am only on a small dose of Thyroxine 75mg. As far as I am aware, the LP started in January this year. The rash was getting much better, but came back 2 weeks ago. So I have enough to put up with at the moment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.