I just found this forum. I am a nurse from USA and have have Achalasia for greater than 15 years.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just found this forum. I am a nurse from USA and have have Achalasia for greater than 15 years.

I am a 55 year old male. Male nurses, I understand, are more prevalent here than in the UK and many other parts of the world. I find that support groups and forums can do a lot of good. I know I felt excited when I found this site. It helps to connect with others who know what we are going through. Achalasia can cause us to do things associated with eating that are embarrassing and appear crude; therefore, it can take ones dignity. The men in my parish go brook trout fishing each year in the autumn. I love camping and fishing, although my fly-fishing form is anything but poety-in-motion. I will not go because I would keep the rest of the campers up with my nightly hacking and coughing. (I'm considering nominating my wife for sainthood for what she has endured. I look forward to getting deeper into the subject and reading other's posts.

4 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Meryl

We you do describe symptoms of achalasia and you mention you are hypothyroid and have Lichen Planus. These can be auto-immune disorders, esp lichen planus; where the boddy forms antibodies to its own cells and structures. It is not neccessarily serious so dont worry. No-one really knows what causes achalasia but there is a lot of evidence to suggest it may too also have an auto immune precipitator. Its believed that possibly a virus kicks of the auto immune system which in turn forms antibodies which damage the nerves in the oesophagus and this results in a failing swallowing mechanism. So I cant say you have achalasia but you have some symptoms and you have an auto immune disorder. Of course your symptoims could be far simpler and just be as a result of your hiatus hernia and gastric reflux inflammation. Again dont worry about the manometry tests if you have them as they really are a breeze. I was very apprehensive before having them, even having a medical background, but when I had it done I thought I could do this again if I had to. So dont worry. Yes the symptoms of achalasia are horrible. The gold standard treatment is to have a myotomy where the muscles at the base of the oesophagus are gently dissected so they dont work any more and then a new valve formed by folding the stomach under the base of the oesophagus, called a fundoplication. In gfact if you have a hernia repair alone I am betting the surgeon does a fundoplication in any case. So you will get half the same surgery!! You are in hospital a couple of days and then live on a watery diet for a few weeks. I have to say having gone through the op its no where near as bad as I suspected. In fact many of my symptoms have all but gone. If you have true achalasia you will always have some degree of oesophageal dysphagia and even now I foind some foods difficult to swallow so I avoid them. I cant drink fizzy drinks..oh sad loss..and I lost a lot of weight..good thing. Achalasia can be progressive and surgery may not always cure the problem but in 80% plus it does bring about a return to normal and I have to say by and large it has in my case

• Posted

Thank you Graeme for your reply. I will just have to wait now until I have the tests. I too have lost over 2 stone since I had the symptoms.
  • Posted

Hey folks!

I'm queued to have the procedure monday. In that, this is my first since I was 5 years old, (tonsillectomy) I wouldn't be untruthful if I didn't say there is some trepidation.  Oh sure, I'm a tough nurse, quite used to such,of needles and knifes don't bother me in the least (as long as they are going into someone else)  I fully believe that "elective surgery" is an oxymoron.  

• Posted

Hope it all went well Richard, my husband had a Heller myotomy with partial fundo at the beginning of 2014, it has been life changing for him.
    • Posted

thank you vix

well, to update, they've been changing dates around on me.  I am now waithing until 6/23 

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

I got my myotomy and partial fundiplication monday. I'm still on a clear liquid diet that is progressive.  But let me say " Hallelujah ". I have already had several nights of sleep. Something that I have not had for years.  The staples in the skin of my abdominal bother me but I will not complain The liquids go down instead of tasting them for two days.  I want to get back to work and move on 
  • Posted

Thanks merry

helps when you have wonderful nurses, within a first class care team and you the patient get out of bed and move around

• Posted

Puny cannot be an option!
  • Posted

And sorry Meryl 

i called you merry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.