I just want to feel like myself again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Ever since my anxiety and panic attacks started a few months ago, I don't feel like the same person. I was so goal-oriented, determined, thoughtful. I wrote and contemplated things and was constantly on the go. Now, every time I try to sit down and do something that requires any extra thought, I just can't think. I can't focus. I just don't feel "right".

I look at pictures of myself smiling with friends and I don't believe it's me. I can't remember feeling that happy. It's as though I'm constantly in a really bad, empty dream. Does it ever feel normal again?

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

Yes, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I can control my panic attacks now, but I can't do anything that requires any sort of stress or thought without going blank or feeling spacey. I'm considering medication at this point, though I'd rather not.
  • Posted

Sorry computer went a bit mad there

Anxiety knocks your confidence

Consider therapy it teaches you how to cope

Stay strongcool

• Posted

If you try and let yourself you can be your old self.  How about some cbt sessions which may help you.
  • Edited

Panic attacks alter you. Your old self is how you got to this situation. Once you get this disorder its a journey to find peace of mind again. You need to find a new self now. Cbt, therapy and a lot of love is needed. I wish there was a magic wand or evem some real answers but there isnt. You will kind of go into some kind of survival mode thing for a while where getting theough the day feels like an accomplishment. Its a strange disorder. It waxes and wanes so you will get time spans where you feel "normal". Some people do get it to go away and many kind of manage it. Its just a different way of living. 
    • Posted

Ahhh it's so frustrating. But your words are reassuring, thank you.
    • Posted

Thank you,, I have had panic attacks for years , they would come and go, about 3 weeks ago I had an attack and did not fully recover,

My story is a long one, your answer brought me somewhat peace,and truth and is so deep.

I hope one day not to feel so worried and with perhaps with a little help from other, and I pray that i don't have to take medication I will be Linda again, maybe not entirely the same but at peace,

• Posted

Hello, it sounds like you may be experiencing depersonalisation and or derealisation, which are symptoms of anxiety, Maybe look it up and see if it fits what you are experiencing. I've been told that it's only temporary but can take a while (months) to fade and feel back to normal
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm about to start medication, so I'm hoping that will help in some way
    • Posted

It should help by lowering your anxiety levels which in turn will lower the feelings of depersonilastion and then you will feel back to normal smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.