I just want to feel like myself again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Ever since my anxiety and panic attacks started a few months ago, I don't feel like the same person. I was so goal-oriented, determined, thoughtful. I wrote and contemplated things and was constantly on the go. Now, every time I try to sit down and do something that requires any extra thought, I just can't think. I can't focus. I just don't feel "right".

I look at pictures of myself smiling with friends and I don't believe it's me. I can't remember feeling that happy. It's as though I'm constantly in a really bad, empty dream. Does it ever feel normal again?

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cbt I don't believe it works for anxiety as basically you need to do that yourself I've just booked in for it again I don't want to be around my friends or anyone ! I feel out of it all the time I feel like I can't remember what normal or happy felt like I did go to cbt before no way did it get rid of my anxiety but it did help me get back to going out having friends and feeling normal again
  • Posted

Hi Jordy,

i just wanted to reply to your post to give you some reassurance about this feeling your having.  Over the years I've had a few bad spells of anxiety/panic attacks/depression too. There is a part of your brain that switches off when it is over loaded with stress, it's like a coping mechanism. This makes you feel detached from yourself. I have felt this feeling each time I've suffered. But it does go away in time. You actually don't notice it fading. I am now just coming through another episode of panic and anxiety due to quite a few major life changes which triggered it all off.

so I'm now just over 2 weeks into my medication and at certain times of the day I can see ange peeking through. But yeh I'm the same as you at present. I look at pictures and think, that's not me! So it's just a little bit of your brain that's switched off. Once your anxiety and panic attacks are under control and your brain realises it's not needed anymore, it will switch back on.. That's the easiest way to describe it. 

I remeber years ago (20 ) I had really bad postnatal dep and anxiety and I said to my GP that I felt like I'd fallen out with myself. So it will disappear. Just try to ignore it for now as difficult as it is. Keep in touch. I'm going through it with you X xx 

• Posted

I'm feeling exactly the same. My anxiety and panic attacks just got worse recently and I wish I could just go back to normal. I hate feeling scared all the time and I hate not being able to do things like I used to.

• Posted

I've been feeling the same way for about 2 months already & it's a very scary situation. I've not been able to get out of bed because i've felt so scared. It's like i can't even talk to my family because i don't feel like myself. but it's okay, we're in this together. I got put on a medicine but it's like it's making it worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.