I just want to know I’m not going crazy...

Posted , 15 users are following.

I can’t believe how excruciating this pain is. Like my muscles are being shredded from the bone. Like being punched in an infected wound. And then there is the throbbing nerve pain that travels down the centre of bicep, into my forearm and down through my wrist.  And then there is the neck pain- oh joy. Hot, stabbing burning piercing shots of pain through the entire base of my neck and trapezoid muscle. When my FS isn’t trying to kill me with acute pain, the dull, hot ache is always present.  Can’t do my hair, the laundry, or cook and clean properly. I see people on TV or my family members raise their arms with ease, and I flinch in reaction, knowing that if I tried to do that, I’d be on the ground, writhing in pain. It has been bad sometimes I’ve nearly vomited and passed out. I am a 53 year old female, menopausal for 2 years and oh, how lovely is it to have hot flashes at night and not be able to move quickly to relieve the heat. Adhesive Capsulitis is a b***h. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Right there with you, sister.

I feel like this whole nightmare has changed who I am as a person.

No one wants to talk about the mental

Anguish that goes along with this.

I will be 52 next month.

Will I actually make it to my birthday?

Can this pain literally kill me?

I know logically it cant/wont, but its

Complete torture.

The anxeity of going to PT is enough to raise one’s B/P.

Epson salts anyone? Soak for a bit, then ice.

Worth a try.

• Posted

Thank you Rochelle.  I did sit in the hot tub this evening for an hour and now have my ice-cold magic bag nestled on top of my shoulder. Ice is my new best friend - the only thing that gives me some, albeit temporary and limited, relief. 

How long have you had FS? 

• Posted

Karen, Im guessing Sept or Oct of 17 i noticed an ache.

I felt like I slept wrong on my left shoulder. So I ignored it. Thought maybe it would just go away.

I have a chiropractor that I have been going to for a few years.

He ordrered an MRI which came back only with a diagnosis of tendonititis.

Quickly after that my arm became more difficult to move. 

I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon.

He knew just from looking at me that I had FS. He also looked at that same MRI and saw that it was FS.

I tried therapy, couldnt handle it.

He recommended surgery about a month after that first visit.

I felt great after surgery. I had a partial nerve block. I slept for the first time in months.

After that block wore of and I resumed PT, I had shooting pain and random stabbing pain all at the same time.

Just this past week, the stabbing pain has subsided to a dull ache or throb.

My ROM is barely coming back, PT 3xs a week. 

I cant pull my hair back, I cut a shirt off last week because I couldnt get it off.

I am better, but its still painful and its still exhausting.

• Posted

My Physiotherapist doesn’t believe his treatments help FS and recommended I don’t pursue it. Gentle stretches and daily Codmans, that’s it. 

I see an orthopaedic surgeon next week. And I’m on the list to get an MRI. 

I have been trying CBD oil, and it does help at night I find. 

• Posted

What is MUA and what is CBD oil? What does this doctor in Toronto do? What is his name and what is his procedure? I saw something on Utube but they didn’t show what was done? They showed the people before and after the procedure but didn’t show the procedure. Can you say what he did to you and how he was able to cure you? 

• Posted

Im a huge fan of CBD freeze roll on.

Still temporary, but Ill use it  after I ice or before bed👍🏻

• Posted

What kind  is CBD oil are you using, mine doesn’t help. Many thanks Leya

• Posted

It comes from cannabis, but doesnt have the THC in it.

So theres no high or goofiness with it.

• Posted

That's a very good description. The pain is absolutely horrendous, and only those who have been through it can understand. I fell on my shoulder in June 2017, and was in excruciating pain through the end of the year. I actually broke down at Trader Joe's trying to get my credit card out to pay my bill.  The pain literally brought me to tears. The cashier was incredibly sweet and ran to get me some flowers.

My shoulder started thawing out in Dec./Jan 2018. Pain started decreasing slowly, and I am now able to sleep on my right side again. I'm also starting to be able to reach behind my back again, and actually was able to put my hand on my hip the other day! Not completely, and it looked pretty awkward, but I got it on there!

Its these small victories that make me realize its getting better. I tried acupuncture, but it made it worse. I was afraid to do PT because I'd read so many threads of people saying it seemed to aggravate it. However, I did do four Prolozone Therapy shots in my shoulder from a Naturpath Doctor. The pain was brutal, but I think its helped me heal faster.

I hope yours starts healing soon. Its literally the worst pain I ever experienced!

• Posted

Mine started in February - first sign was pain when I reached back to put my coat on. Three weeks later I couldn’t put my bra on. I bought a sling to stop me from using that arm, but it hurt my neck. Then I bought a shoulder injury sports brace, thinking I’d torn my rotator cuff. By the time I got in to see my doctor, my ROM had decreased to include any movements backwards, outwards and up, and the night pain ratcheted up.  NSAIDs, nerve pain pills, Voltaren - nothing helped. Only ice and now I’m trying CBD oil.  I do recall my mother having FS in her late 60’s (she’s passed now so I can’t ask her for details) but her adhesive capsulitis did resolve itself over about 2 years. I’m hoping for the same or shorter! 

• Posted

Oh my gosh, this could have been written by me.  I still can't comfortably sleep on my right side, but I can put my hand on my hip again, although I still feel it a little bit when I do.  I couldn't even do that motion when it was at it's worst.  Being able to shave under my arms again was a big feat too.  

I also think PT aggravated it.  I did get a cortisone injection and that may have helped, but hard to tell. 

Anyway, as I said in another post, my first episode was on my right side, winter of 2016.  I was very upset, because we had planned a dream vacation, a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale for fall 2016.  I was so worried we'd have to cancel, but by that time my ROM was almost back to normal, and the horrible pain episodes only lasted maybe a month, so we were able to go on our vacation.

But now I'm starting to experience some sharp twinges of pain in my upper right arm, and the tenderness from below my armpit to my back (only that area, not my entire back) never really went away completely.  If I press on that area, it's tender.  I'm afraid those sharp twinges mean it might be coming back, and I'm scared to have to deal with that pain again.  Just brutal, and only if you've experienced it, do you understand.   

• Posted

Hi MomGoneMad, I am considering prolozone shots for my two frozen shoulders.  The left one is about 11 months in so the pain has reduced and mobility slightly increased, but the right is only 7 weeks in and it is excruciating all the way down my arm sometimes.  My instincts say to do nothing except manage the pain but I am thinking about prolozone since my partner had it for a shoulder bursitis injury and it really helped him.  Do you really think it helped? So afraid to make things worse.  Thanks.

• Posted

Karen you’re not going crazy. This is a 

b***h!!!  Good luck. I’m still struggling after months of PT, acupuncture, saline injections etc. I’ve kind of given up hope and I’m trying to just keep stretching and ignore the achiness and discomfort I feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.