I just want to know I’m not going crazy...

Posted , 15 users are following.

I can’t believe how excruciating this pain is. Like my muscles are being shredded from the bone. Like being punched in an infected wound. And then there is the throbbing nerve pain that travels down the centre of bicep, into my forearm and down through my wrist.  And then there is the neck pain- oh joy. Hot, stabbing burning piercing shots of pain through the entire base of my neck and trapezoid muscle. When my FS isn’t trying to kill me with acute pain, the dull, hot ache is always present.  Can’t do my hair, the laundry, or cook and clean properly. I see people on TV or my family members raise their arms with ease, and I flinch in reaction, knowing that if I tried to do that, I’d be on the ground, writhing in pain. It has been bad sometimes I’ve nearly vomited and passed out. I am a 53 year old female, menopausal for 2 years and oh, how lovely is it to have hot flashes at night and not be able to move quickly to relieve the heat. Adhesive Capsulitis is a b***h. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Karen don't give up without trying hydrodilation- it cured me!  Went from severe agony to no pain at all in about a week.  ROM back within a month.  I'm Canadian too and had no problem getting in quickly (referral from my family Doc)

• Posted

Hi Sarah.  Your post gives me a lot of hope. Thank you!  I am on a waiting list for Hydrodilation.  
  • Posted

You're not going crazy, and I feel so bad for you.  I had my first episode of frozen shoulder in winter of 2016.  I say "first," because although my range of motion returned, I've never gotten rid of some tenderness in my lower back (it starts just below my armpit and moves toward my back.  Doesn't hurt all the time, but if I press on that area, it's definitely tender.  I have a horrible feeling it might be coming back, because about a week ago I was making the bed, and I had some sharp zinging pains in my upper arm (bicep?).  It went away quickly, and nothing like that horrible pain I had in the beginning of my first episode where the pain felt like an electric shock moving down my arm.  I know exactly what you mean about the pain being so bad you feel like you might throw up or get sick.  I'm more afraid about having that happen again than I am about losing my range of motion.  That pain was just so horrible.  Mine would happen if I moved suddenly, or tensed up.  (like moving through a room and trying to avoid bumping into someone...that type of tensing up would send that horrible pain down my arm.  So bad that I would stop in my tracks and just moan until it passed, which was usually about 10-15 seconds, but OMG that pain!  I haven't experienced any neck pain...that must be horrible too.  I was 54/55 when it hit me, so same age group.  

I'm glad I still get notifications about this group, because here I am, again.  Crossing my fingers and toes that it's not rearing it's ugly head again, but sadly I have a feeling it is.

I wish you all the luck that it gets better for you soon.  It will get better, I promise.  

• Posted

It's absolutely awful isn't it, can't see the end at all, wishing you and everyone else all the best, we are not going mad , most of us all in same boat, some people have had this for a couple of years it just doesn't bare thinking about, thankyou all for your replies.

• Posted

Yes Karen the pain in your arms is horrible. I have this burning and my shoulder sockets , and ripping feelings and my biceps farms and pain into my hands. My neck and shoulder blades burning hurt like they’re on fire increasing my migraines. I go  to therapy like a good little soldier now getting massages.

I live in San Diego,CA . I’m thinking to see if my insurance covers cupping  for the neck and back pain and spasms.

I’ll have to return to work soon I’m  quite apprehensive since I don’t sleep well and drive 45 miles to work one Way.

I had higher hope for my 50’s . I won’t let this take over my life. Don’t either best of luck. Thanks for listening this way we can b***h to one  another I’m afraid her close ones might be tired of it .

• Posted

Karen, I could have written your letter.   I feel the exact same way..  I get nausea from the pain.   I have had it now since Feb 28.   Went to Orthopedic doc who said I just have to wait it out..  Nothing helps it, he said a cortisone wont help and either will physical therapy.  I tried acupuncture twice.....that did nothing.  I've been to the chiropractor about 10 times so far......still nothing...   I'm telling him tomorrow - I'm done wasting my money on him.   I had relief once from going to him.  I thought it was a miracle but it never happened again.  I cant even think straight sometimes.  Cant do my hair, get dressed, cant shut car door with left arm, cant grab things from drive through with left arm.   Cant sleep.   It's a living nightmare!!  Then can cure polio but they cant cure damn frozen shoulder.  

• Posted

Hi Karen. I totally get where you are coming from.  I am going through exactly the same.   Same age, same flushes, same reaction when I see people doing things that I would love to be able to do etc.  I can't dress myself or pull up my jeans after going to the toilet.   My partner helps me to dress, washes my hair etc etc.  I have both my shoulders frozen.  It is absolute agony.  The right shoulder was not too bad until today - but it seems to now be just as painful as the left.  I'm an active person normally ... but all I seem to be able to do just now is sit and watch TV (something I hate doing).  Even typing this is agony.  I'm hoping the pain doesn't get any worse than this.  And I hope we all recover from this very quickly!!

• Posted

My FS started in January in my left arm. I get a little pain in my shoulder but mainly in my upper arm and neck. I get the spasm pain now and again when I make a quick movement instinctively and the pain is the worst pain I have ever had. The spasm pain lasts between 10 to 30 seconds and I think if it lasted any longer I would probably faint. The constant dull ache is hard to deal with and it really gets me down. I have been given some strong painkillers by the doctor but they don't take the pain away completely and they have unpleasant side affects. Night times are bad as I find it hard to get comfortable as my arm feels like it is made of lead and no position takes the pain away completely so I don't get a good nights sleep. The doctor has put me on waiting list for a steroid injection and PT. I am 56 years old but I feel 100 as can't do a lot. I have to have showers now as can't get out of the bath if I have a bath. I can't wear the clothes I used to wear as everything has to be baggy and easy to get on and off. I can sympathise with you all and it is good to know that other people have the same symptoms as I wasn't sure if it was FS at first. I use a heat pad quite a lot that seems to help the pain although I do get quite a lot of swelling at the top of my arm. My mother had it in her fifties and she had it for a year which makes me depressed as it has affected my whole life. Driving is painful and so I drive as little as possible. The pain makes me really grumpy so I am not a joy to have around.

• Posted

You are not going crazy.  I am on my second FS, the first is 11 months old so much improvement in pain and some improvement in mobility.  Second one is 6 weeks old, in the terrible pain of the freezing stage, much as you describe.  It will get better.  I have found time heals it.  Hope you feel much better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.