I keep thinking of questions - sorry!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Morning everyone, I keep thinking of questions to ask so apologies for multiple posts, I'll try & write them all down after this one so I can ask in one go!

I'm having my op at the Nuffield in Leamington. The surgeon is Mr Andrew Shepherd. Has anyone else had a THR carried out by him? He's awfully young!

I'm very concerned about getting around & household stuff when I get home. I had a knee op a couple of years ago & one of the things no-one prepared me for or warned me about was the lack of muscle usage in my thigh. I couldn't do straight leg raises (not even a few cm) & my hubby had to lift my leg into bed for me. If I needed the loo in the night, I had to wake him up to lift my leg down! My Physio at the time said your thigh muscle was the biggest & quickest to lose its strength. I just wasn't prepared for this & that bothered me more than the pain. If I know in advance this is going to happen I'll be better prepared.

Will I be allowed to walk outside whilst I'm still in hospital? My op is in June so to get some fresh air would be great. I'm also hoping my hubby can bring my dog to see me if I'm allowed outside (I know this may sound bonkers to some people but we've never been apart except for work obviously & I'm going to miss him like mad). I thought seeing him would cheer me up & spur me on to get well.

I'm thinking about buying a dual motor recliner chair as my sofas at home are quite low - would this help? Anyone else got one?

Lastly (sorry), we've been invited to a wedding 7 weeks post op. Should I be well enough to attend if all goes well?

Thank you all in advance. I've only discovered this forum in the last couple of weeks but it has been so much help already (especially Rocketman's site). I'm quite emotional reading all of the posts & the replies, everyone is so caring & helpful x

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fernlady,

I wouldn't be worried about the age of the surgeon.  Being young he'll know all the latest techniques and anyway, everyone looks young to me these days.  My surgeon looks young to me too.

I believe you can get a leg-lifter.  Not sure how effective they are but I'll be getting one because I'm on my own and will have no-one to lift my leg for me.  I'm sure I'll find a way to manage.

I bought a recliner chair, stupidly I got a manual one and the leg support needs to be pushed down with your legs - not sure if I'll be able to manage it as it's quite stiff.  Idiot me for not giving it enough thought.

As for the rest, I'm pre-op - the same as you so can'lt help.  I think all these thought churn around in your mind - wondering if you can cope with this and that - and I'm sure we all find our own ways. 

My op is supposed to be in March/April, but I reckon we could be having ours at around the same time so we could be hippy twins, yay! cheesygrin

Cels xxx

• Posted

Good idea re the chair! I don't think you'd be able/ready to walk all the way outside till day 3 and you may go home then?! I know you'll miss your dog but I think the exhaustion and effort doing all you need p/o will overtake you missing him temporarily!

One thing I implore you is be careful with your Knee whichever leg it's on!!!!! Mine was two and a half years old ( it was the opposite leg to my hip) and the strain from using that leg more ( coz of hip) and it not being as strong as I thought muscle wise , I damaged it and ended up housebound unable to walk for 12 weeks!!!

The moral of my tale of woe is build up your knee muscles as much as you can before your op!! Etc so you don't do what I did!!

When I had my knee done my surgeon insisted I have 6 weeks intense Physio before my op to prepare the knee muscles in readiness!

I thought when I had my hip done I had nothing to worry about!!

The hip op is a doddle compared to a TKR !! It's so much easier!!

Just go with the flow( you have no choice!) & rest .

Good luck.! Xx

• Posted

Thanks Gaby, I didn't have a TKR just cartilage cut away, a bit of bone shaved off & wash-out. It's the opposite knee to my hip as well & is 95% back to normal now. I'm cycling on my exercise bike every night to build muscle strength x
  • Posted

Hi Fernlady

if you get your other 1/2 to bring a hospital chair up to the ward of course you will be able to go outside. 

As for your dog. I know how you feel about that. I was separated from my 3 for 5 weeks and it was awful. I had to send home a t shirt every couple of days via my other 1/2 I had worn  for one of my dogs because she stopped eating and became very withdrawn after she got the first shirt she started eating again and was almost her old self. 

dont worry about all the questions that is what the forum is for. 👍

• Posted

Morning !

I have an electric recliner and it makes life so much easier , so definitely consider getting one . The hospital gave me a leg lifter , it really helps with getting in and out of bed , took me a couple of days at home before I could get in and out of bed without my partner helping me lift my leg ( but that's mainly down to not having the courage to move it myself ).

The only thing that might be an issue for attending the wedding is your own energy level , but only you can decide nearer the time .

Warm wishes and give the dog a hug for me

Hilary

• Posted

Hi Fernlady, 

No problem ... we are here to answer any question or concern you have - 

Great advice are already posted - 

I really have nothing to add .

My friend took me outside in a wheelchair to get some fresh air (and smoke a cigarette eek - more her desire than mine, but still) - Maybe you can have someone wait outside with your puppie ... Not sure if pets are allowed on the ward - 

When everything goes well (and it will), you'll probably go home after 3-4 days - 

7 weeks should be Okay, but as said, it is all up to how you feel - Is it a long drive, an all day affair ?  dancing??????

can't help with the recliner as I didn't have one ...SOunds good to me though !

come back anytime okay 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

The wedding venue is in a local hotel & I'll ask my sister to drop off/pick up. It is all day but I can't see me dancing! Maybe I could book a room for a couple of hours to go & have a lie down! X
  • Posted

Hi Fern

I am 11 days post op so I can give you my experience.  I had the done at the Spire Murrayfiled in Edinburgh but I was a NHS patient referred privately. For the first 2 days or so I needed someone to lift my operated up for me to get in an out of bed in hospital but after day 3 I could do this myself.  What approach are you getting?  I got a posterior approach which is an old fashioned way of doing this I gather - and to be honest i wsnt very happy with this but I had no choice.  My surgeon was in his late forties I think and I was a little worried as I am relativelry young to be getting this and I had heard that an antorior approach is normally done in younger patients.  However that said it went well but the main damage I have  is to my gluts.  My hamstrings were very sore and weak though as they get manipulated around during surgery but with the physio you get inittially this goes quite quickly.  Keep up the excercsies that is my advice.  Re the wedding of course you can go.  Take a cusion in case the seats are too low or even ask at the venue if they have a slightly higher chair. I am sure they could oblige.

About spending money on a recliner, if you have the money and want to then go ahead.  I didnt get one but I must say the worst thing about the op at the moment for me is not being very comfortable sitting.

Good luck for a speedy recovery and look after yourself.  Will hubby be taking time off when you get back from hospital? xx

• Posted

I watched an anterior approach on YouTube & when I told my surgeon he said he didn't perform THR this way so I'm assuming I'll be having the same as you. When I said my surgeon was quite young, hazarding a guess I would say he's about the same age as me (mid-forties) - I still think this age group is quite young! The worst is when you see a new gp & they look about 15! I asked him where my cut would be & he drew a line with his finger at the side/top of my thigh. Hubby will be off for 10 days whilst I get into a routine & then we'll play it by ear x
    • Posted

Hi Yes sounds like you will be getting a posterior or maybe a lateral approach.  My scar is at the side but runs towards the back.  I probably will have a visible scar below bikini line although I could wear one of those  fifties style bathing suits that cover your bum! lol.  Shorts no problem.  It is good that you are planning things for after the op as it does your head good to focus on positive things.  Good that hubby is off too.  I have a cat who of course is trying to trip me up - as always- so I have to be extra vigilant. He also keeps brining me "presents" which are not welcome. x
  • Posted

Morning smile

Its great to be able to ask (and answer) questions here. You already have some very knowledgable people giving some sage advice.

Surgeons, like policemen, appear to get younger and younger. It must be them!

I had not expected the inability to lift my operated leg. And there are many 'tricks of the trade' such as a long towel or a dressing gown tie (belt) which you can loop around your lower leg to lift with. Well, that was what the nurses told me. I found it easier just to ask my wife cheesygrin The leg started co-operating after a few days.

Regarding recliners, electric is the only way. I use mine all the time (sometimes all night) and use pillows to elevate my bum to keep within the 90 degree rule. I also use cushions behind my back to help with back ache and getting in/out of the chair. And they are very useful for when you need to rest your eyelids.

I would ask for a wheel chair to get outside and to see your dog. There is clear evidence that human/dog contact is very beneficial. Unless you are a postie.

Finally, if everuthing goes according to plan, the wedding should be fine. Mind you, you may have to resist the urge to breakdance.

Michael

• Posted

cheesygrin thank you ---- no, keep it casual please ... I am learning so much here !

I was thinking about "post-it" notes and it did not make sense 

• Posted

I very much admire your command of the English language - especially considering how many typing errors and locals phrases we use.

Big Respect.

(and warm hugs)

Michael x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.