I keep thinking of questions - sorry!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Morning everyone, I keep thinking of questions to ask so apologies for multiple posts, I'll try & write them all down after this one so I can ask in one go!

I'm having my op at the Nuffield in Leamington. The surgeon is Mr Andrew Shepherd. Has anyone else had a THR carried out by him? He's awfully young!

I'm very concerned about getting around & household stuff when I get home. I had a knee op a couple of years ago & one of the things no-one prepared me for or warned me about was the lack of muscle usage in my thigh. I couldn't do straight leg raises (not even a few cm) & my hubby had to lift my leg into bed for me. If I needed the loo in the night, I had to wake him up to lift my leg down! My Physio at the time said your thigh muscle was the biggest & quickest to lose its strength. I just wasn't prepared for this & that bothered me more than the pain. If I know in advance this is going to happen I'll be better prepared.

Will I be allowed to walk outside whilst I'm still in hospital? My op is in June so to get some fresh air would be great. I'm also hoping my hubby can bring my dog to see me if I'm allowed outside (I know this may sound bonkers to some people but we've never been apart except for work obviously & I'm going to miss him like mad). I thought seeing him would cheer me up & spur me on to get well.

I'm thinking about buying a dual motor recliner chair as my sofas at home are quite low - would this help? Anyone else got one?

Lastly (sorry), we've been invited to a wedding 7 weeks post op. Should I be well enough to attend if all goes well?

Thank you all in advance. I've only discovered this forum in the last couple of weeks but it has been so much help already (especially Rocketman's site). I'm quite emotional reading all of the posts & the replies, everyone is so caring & helpful x

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fernlady,  You write as many questions as you like..we have all done it!  Also your being younger..mine was too..which was why I picked him!   He is 'up to the minute' and also when you investigate your surgeon further ..on line ??..you will see he will have had many years experience too to have got to his exalted station!!.  The older established surgeons have ofcause experience which is tremendous but young doesn't mean not good..

​I would say you would def beable to go to the wedding 7 weeks on.  As to what happens when you get home..first get a fe Wee from Boots then you won't have to wake your husband up..but practice...secoond getting your leg out of bed..a nusre told me to get a long scarf ( by the bed) and loop it round your ankle/calf then you will be able to lift your leg more easily.

​I have been told that knee op is more difficult than hip ( in recovery terms) I don't knw but as you have experienced the knee and got through you will be fne after hip.  You will manage .I was/am on my own and I see a post below from CELSB that she too was on her own when discaharged.  We did it and good for us.

​You are right Rockmans site is also excellent and he had it really rough with 2 ops within weeks of each other. 

This is like having a group with you all the time..so smile and post and we will listen.

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.