I know its was amlodipine!

Posted , 281 users are following.

I am a healthy 58 yr old and normally very active. BP was rising over the last year or so to 178/98 and so this Jan my Doc put me on Amlodipine 5mg. Thats when it started. Firstly with a loss of energy, then total loss of stamina, I felt like a Zombie all the time. As the month progressed I started to get forgetful, dizzy spells, very tingly left hand and painful joints all througfh my left side. BP did not drop as fast as hoped so Doc added Lisinopril 2.5mg. Hey... off with the faries now! After two weeks I could not concentrate on anything people were telling me and to the point that I was becoming detached from the real world. And that was only after a couple of weeks on the cocktail. I decided to trial which drug was causing this and first removed the Lisinopril for a few days then swapped over to stopping Amlodipine. Cor.. what a difference. Almost the next day after stopping Amlodipine I started to recover. After just one week people at work are now saying 'welcome back' and I know what they mean. BP not down yet but I am never going near Amlodipine again, its a wrecker!

Has anyone else had anything like my reaction?

42 likes, 815 replies

815 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on Losartan first for about 6 months, I started on 50mg, when that wasn't regulating the BP my doctor sent me to a cardiologist who upped the doses to 100mg. That didn't work and I started complaining about my back spasms and lower back pain. The cardiologist changed it to Amlodipine besylate 2.5mg. At first my back pain seemed to be going away after switching the meds. But after the second week on the new med the back spasms and pain got worst and the BP was still not getting better. Even after I told the cardiologist that the BP was still out of control she said to keep taking the doses. I researched on the internet about hypertension and what I could do to improve it.

I came across a lot of research and documentation on magnesium and a book titled The Magnesium Solution for High Blood Pressure by Jay S Cohen, MD. I dropped the Amlodipine and started taking the Magnesium supplements, my BP is almost normal after 3 days, and my back pain and spasms are getting better each day. With the Amlodipine, I was also getting swollen ankles, sensitive teeth and constipation.

• Posted

My Gp prescribed 5mg Amlodipine for me,1 month ago. I read the comments on this site with great alarm (does anyone have a positive experience of this drug?) I've tried to keep an open mind,but the side effects I've noticed are worrying me. I saw GP after 2 weeks of taking them and mentioned my worries and side effects. As my BP had dropped,he dismissed my concerns and told me to keep on taking them. I have persevered, but the side effects are too much to be coincidental.  I have most of the ones already mentioned, eg. feeling spaced out, extremely tired,insomnia and very vivid dreams,also tooth sensitivity (I've made a dental appointment as it's so bad. I can't concentrate and don't know what I'm talking about sometimes. Pharmacy telephoned me this morning to ask my experience of taking them. I told him and he suggests I see my Gp as he says that "they're widely prescribed and well tolerated by most people". Thank goodness for this site.
    • Posted

One 'problem' is the folks who put up post on this forum are the ones who have the 'problems' with side effects.  No 'problems' no post!

I have been prescribed Amlodipine since 2001 and have not experienced any side effects, in fact quite the opposite; my BP has remained at just borderline for 15 years.  I started at 5 mg went up after 3/4 years to 10 mg and then when I 'removed' the stress from my life and really looked, and did something about my diet, found my BP had dropped and was reduced by my GP back to 5 mg.  I'm 75 and my BMI is 24.

Also reading data sheets can be dangerous, if you ‘get’ all the side effects you are very, very unlucky - a minority of people may get some/or one at various degrees but the vast majority get none.

• Posted

I am on Ramilpril 10mg and Amlodipine 10mg, I have recently had the Amlodipine increased from 5mg to 10mg and I have found that I am getting very tired from about 3pm onwards which is very unsual for me.  Prior to this I would go to be about 11pm ish and be up at 6am with no issues, I am now in bed asleep by 9pm, still up at 6 feeling like I have not slept and am really tired by 3pm...

BP has dropped, there is still room for improvement but it's better than it was.

• Posted

Hi ssetter1978.....are these the side effects you were referring to in your response to my post? 
  • Posted

HI Nigel

just reading your post - I know it's been there a while and I hope by now everything has settled down for you. My experience of taking Amlodipine was almost identical to yours and I was off in a little world of my own - once drove through a red traffic light and another time stopped at a pelican crossing then just sat there like a zombie. I think my partner thought I'd really lost it. Within a day of stopping Amlodipine it was as though I came out of a fog and back into the real world. Told my GP about the effects - he didn't seem particularly bothered but I am now on Ramipril and that suits me fine. 

• Posted

HI Everyone,

I suffered from Amlodipine for over a year and reached as tage where i was completely bed ridden. After stopping amlodipine things have improved and I have started to work again but I still have muscle pain / fatigue to a lesser extent. 

Any idea how long will I it take for me to be "Normal". 

Its been nearly a month now I havent touched amlodipine.

Is there something I can do to speed this process up? 

• Posted

Hi Nik

Glad you are doing well. My experience with Amlodipine was that I started feeling better soon after I stopped taking it, like you. I have been off the meds for about 2months and I am getting better all the time. It is probably an individual thing about getting back to normal. Sorry that you were so badly affected, but you will find it very motivating as you notice yourself coming back to normal. Keep us informed on how you are feeling.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hi nik

i too am wondering how long it will take to start feeling better.  I could hardly walk and there is some improvement but still leg pain.   I am off amlodopine now for 3 weeks

thanks

sandy

• Posted

The leg pain is probably unrelated to Norvasc at this time if you stopped 3 weeks ago. It's half-life is 30-50 hrs. & it binds to protiens. So basically the higher your BMI the longer for it to "clear" renally. More important would be to tell your doc where in the leg & type of pain it is. After dropping Norvasc, stroke risk goes way up, & in women you are 20% greater risk as is. DVT would be a concern of mine, leads to pulmonary Embolism.
  • Posted

Nigel is 100% correct. I wish i had found out that Norvasc is very close to anti-depressants i can't take like Lexapro. Upon the 1st dose of Norvasc 5mg in the hospital, post MI no blockage, low LDL, basically no medical reason other than stress/genetics, I noticed depersonalization much as described but worse, depression that hurt, pain everywhere, loss of drive, sudden spells of insane anger & hostility, very similar to any anti-depressant ever tried on me. I have temporal lobe siezure disorder via TBI. My moods, behaviors, even my "fight/flight" have no control by themselves. I need to take a benzo & as it turns out, that is the very same thing that prevents these types of vasospasms. Within the 7-8 day mark of this Norvasc, I have the entire hospital staff completely terrified, my own mother was ready to litterly run out of the house, I was ready to snap to Lord know's what end. I CAN NOT for the safety of the puplic, myself & the world, take any tetra or tricyclic anti-depressants or thier "realitives" period! When will Dr's. listen to the patient? I warned them. I called & asked them all, even the pharamacist when I noticed these changes & they all said it was not the med. So after it finished "peaking" around 8pm, I was able to look up Norvasc in great detail only to discover it does have these effects in 1% of people, me I'm always in that 1%. Docs I've had know this about me. The "new" ones go by the book & not by what my chemistry is. Cardiology did want to consult nuero prior to giving me a statin or this med & decided to skip that due to my behavior. HMMM, they caused it by giving me the Norvasc! Had they kept me in, called a neuro shirnk in, that drug would not have been given. In fact, increasing my Klonopin from .5 x2/day back to 1mg x2/day was the "key", since I completely stopped all alcohol several months ago. My blood cells returned to normal & my benzo was too low. ETOH acts much the same as a vasodiolator, hence masked a problem. Norvasc should be re-evaluatd for safety & doctors educated to not just hand this med out like candy. Makes you wonder how the guy in TX went on a shooting spree after being in the hospital for something & had rages when he came out. 3 days later he goes on a spree randomly shooting for no reason until he got gunned down. No "illicit" drugs in his system, no alcohol, military backround, but otherwise no history of crime or violence. Norvasc effects serotonin, so if you have a problem with serotonin in general, do not take this. If you have phsyc issues bio or event related, do not take this without extensive monitoring. I stopped today & feel 100% better, stable & no snapping. No chest pain either. I have nitro if needed, but 1mg xanax works longer, acts almost as quick if chewed & is 100% effective at stopping the vasospasm as was the 1mg of Ativan given via IV this last attack 2 days ago in the hospital after discharge & while on Norvasc. Insidently, this attack happened shortly after a text that would annoy most but tossed me into a killer rage. Benzo's are not for everyone as nor is this Norvasc. I'm sure it helps plenty without this hypersensitivity, just be careful & if you "feel" like you not yourself, you're not & it is Norvasc.
  • Posted

I know I am replying to a post over a year ago but wanted to comment.

1. My grandmother is on this stuff and she was diagnosed with moderate alzheimers.  I think part of this issue is the amlodiphine she is taking.

2. My blood pressure was crazy a couple of months ago so a new doctor I saw prescribed the Amlodiphine for me.  I seemed to be doing ok on the 10mg but was finding that I was becoming extremely tired this past week.  In fact one day, all I could do is lay on the couch and sleep for 12 hours. So, I put the facts together and took myself off of the stuff.  I am not sleeping as well but overall at least I feel better and have some energy.

I definitely do not recommend this medicine. The lisiniprol seems to be a better choice. Also, Lorsartan isn't too bad but you need to pay attention to the bottom number so it doesn't get too low.

For me, I'll take the chance living with the higher blood pressure over feeling lethargic all of the time.

• Posted

Hi......I'm wondering if anyone has had any positive effects from this drug since there is nothing but negative results here. I am to start taking this drug tomorrow.  Along with my synthroid 125 and Protonix for GERD.  Y'all have me scared.  Also noticed that most of you are men.  I am a 58 year old female.  Perhaps the side effects won't be so bad I am hoping.  I was on Losartan 50mg for yrs with no problem until the last 5 months of pure hell with that one.  Don't know why it turned on me.

Anybody out there have anything good to say about Amlodipine Besylate 5mg???

• Posted

Hi,  I have been on Ramipril 10mg and Amlodipine 10mg for nearly 2 years now.  For me there have been some minor side affects but nothing that would deter me from taking them.  Without these two meds my blood pressure would be so high I would liturally be a ticking time bomb for a stroke or heart attack.  I'm one of these people that has ZERO symptoms of the High BP. 

My side affects have been limited to a slight tickle in the throut (ramipril causes that), very slight mood change which I find excersie helps with and the occasional loss in appitite, still being a little overweight thats no bad thing in my eyes !!    

It all really depends on your own system though.  I'm fortunate that I rarly suffer with anything side effects wise.

As for the difference between Amlodipne Maleate and Amlodipine Besylate, they are different manufactuered presentations, studies have shown that Amlodipine Maleate is the bioequivilant theraputic alternative to the Besylate.  So regardless which one you take the outcomes should be the same.

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement and some positive comments about this drug.   I am at 6 hours now and I have felt absolutely nothing.  My cardiologist is the doc who put me on this med.....had been on Losartan 50 mg for the past 6 years with no problems at all.  Still might not be the cause of the pain issues I have that seemed to flair an hour after taking the Losartan.  Having an MRI on Friday on my neck.  Hopefully will get some answers for my left chest/neck/shoulder/back pains.  Even if  they find something in my neck and I don't develop any side effects from this amlodipine Besylate, I will stick with it rather than go back to the Losartan.  Sometimes I feel the body gets used to a drug so maybe a shake up is in order!   My GP said that they prescribe Amlodipine Beslate all the time, especially to seniors with little to no side effects.  She said that for every 100 ppl that have issues there are a million that do not.    Will update post after a week on the drug.  Even if I develop side effects I will not just stop taking it without consulting my cardiologist first as I know you cannot or should not just stop taking bp meds.  So far so good!!!!
    • Posted

Yes - male 75 been on them for 16 years!  Started on 5 mg, three years later upped to 10 mg.  Early last year it was decreased to 5 mg again as my BP had dropped.  Side effects - none, so have done me no harm only good.
    • Posted

hi --- just came across your post and was wondering how you were doing. I've been on Amlodipine Bed late 5 mg for about 2 weeks and I'm having some pretty bad side effects and wanted to know if you were still effect-free and doing well BP-wise. My side effects go from pins and needles in my arms and legs to an actual piercing pain in both my chest and back. I do have another nuero/muscular disorder as well as 9 kidney stones that have remained asymptomatic (so untreated). I'm also on a ton of meds so im really unnsure as to what causes what or even if I'm inventing things in my head. Which is all to ask if you're still asymptomati from the Amlodipine, if you care to share.

• Posted

Hi Faith.....yes, I am h appy to report that after 10 weeks on Amlodipine I have had absolutely no side effects at all.

I really do believe that everyone is different.  All the drug cocktails that people are on for other ailments, etc have certainly got to be considered. 

I have nothing bad to say about this drug at all.  2 months, 2 weeks and still going strong!   The worst thing I can think of is to just quit taking the drug and self diagnosing.  Go back to your cardiologist or whomever put you on it and tell them of your side effects.  I am not a doctor or a pharmasist and neither is anybody else on this blog, so always best to go back to the prescribing doctor with any complaints. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.