I know its was amlodipine!

Posted , 281 users are following.

I am a healthy 58 yr old and normally very active. BP was rising over the last year or so to 178/98 and so this Jan my Doc put me on Amlodipine 5mg. Thats when it started. Firstly with a loss of energy, then total loss of stamina, I felt like a Zombie all the time. As the month progressed I started to get forgetful, dizzy spells, very tingly left hand and painful joints all througfh my left side. BP did not drop as fast as hoped so Doc added Lisinopril 2.5mg. Hey... off with the faries now! After two weeks I could not concentrate on anything people were telling me and to the point that I was becoming detached from the real world. And that was only after a couple of weeks on the cocktail. I decided to trial which drug was causing this and first removed the Lisinopril for a few days then swapped over to stopping Amlodipine. Cor.. what a difference. Almost the next day after stopping Amlodipine I started to recover. After just one week people at work are now saying 'welcome back' and I know what they mean. BP not down yet but I am never going near Amlodipine again, its a wrecker!

Has anyone else had anything like my reaction?

42 likes, 815 replies

815 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Also, none of you have mentioned the Besylate along with the Amlodipine?   Is there a difference between the two or are they the same?      My script is for Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg.
  • Posted

50 year old male, was put on 10 mg of amlodpine for my blood pressure, and while it did lower my BP, I think it's causing unacceptible side effects.  My vision which is normally very good has suddenly gotten horrible.   My long distance vision is very blurry, and I get double vision while reading or at the computer.  I also noticed a presistent ringing in the ears, which is most annoying.  I'm going to have to find something else, these side effects are terrible.
  • Posted

I want to write about my mothers experience. She has cancer, and suddenly 3 months ago became 'depressed'.  She had been taking lisinopril 20mg (related to high blood pressure related to the cancer drugs), and had just recently added amlodipine 5mg and then quickly  up to 10mg.  She became a zombie, would n't go out, wouldn't drive, wouldn't call friends, wouldn't change her clothes to a different outfit, wouldn't....wouldn't wouldn't...We thought it was depression, she lost weight, we thought it might have been due to use of anti-anxiety stuff.   She so then after months of turmoil (including 7 days in the hospital) , she reduced her dose of amlopidine to 5 mg (on her own) and after 2 weeks she is almost normal...(her blood pressure is fine)--i dont know it was the amlodipine--but its so coincident!  This has been an ordeal!

• Posted

Hey Y'all --- don't know if anyone is still posting or reading, but I am an almost 50 year old woman who hasl had consistently high blood pressure for the past 6 months. I was put on AMLODIPINE 5mg 2 weeks ago, and am already having trouble. As well as my feet and swelling, I find that if I dont move around constantly, I positively go numb. I've almost fallen too many times to count. And as for the "slight sour stomach" mentioned in the Uncommon Reactions, all I know is that I feel like my acid reflux, which I haven't had trouble with for years, is back worse than ever. I wan' to just stop taking this, but it's only been 2 weeks. Any advice?

• Posted

Hi there .im beginning to wonder if blood pressure tablets have anything to do with Dementia ? I no it's a long shot . But if the majority of people taking b/p meds are middle aged or elderly . Which is where the problems are with high numbers of people suffering from Dementia are  ??? I know as someone who took them in the past my memory suffered . But it's getting the med profession to admit it . I don trembler so many people having Dementia problems in my youth . I'm now in my 60s .. But was there B/Pressure meds about years ago as there is now ???? .. I just wondered if high B/Pressure and Dementia go together . Seeing they are both higher in older generation ,?? I'm on the other nasty ones now Ramiril 10 mg which I'm told are similar med but just different name . I feel like a pre programmed robot about the place . It's like I can't seem to think straight . Plan to do anything . I can't seem to think I'd I'll get up in the morning and do so and so . I do what I have to do , which is little as poss . I've lost my enthusiasm for life and all around me . Feels like I'm suppressed . So I'm waiting for my Dr to come back to work to see if he will change them .. I'm not relishing the thought , I had awful trouble getting him to take me off Amlodopine ... 

• Posted

I read an article yesterday that said exactly what you are saying.  Google it.  I will try and find it for you, I know I saved it, somwhere.  I am just trying to find any way to get off these perscibed meds.
    • Posted

Sue.. please be aware that the doctor works for YOU not the other way around... so please speak up... people seem to think they walk on water when in fact many of them just wallow around in the muddy water...
    • Posted

I must admit I am very disillusioned with doctors they seem to Fob you off with any kind of drug. In the hope that it will make a big difference to your life. Or keep you quiet for a while .The problem with that is all the horrible side effects that come with them. Half of the time I feel like they are not listening too what you say. The thing is we know how we feel and we know when something isn't right. if we stay quiet then we will never be heard and always treated like guinea pigs. And I'm speaking from experience . Jan

• Posted

Janet I totally agree with you.. I was on BP meds in the 90's and I don't recall doctors back then treating me like the newer breed of doctors do today... it makes me wonder what is going on in the "industry" .Ann C.

• Posted

Hi Janet... I've been on BP meds back in the 90's and I don't remember being treated the way doctors treat people these days... makes me wonder what is going on...and if there was a problem with a certain drug, it was changed... I have read people on this site who literally fight tooth and nail with their doctors to take them off something that is not working and then the doctor has the audacity to tell them it's not the drug.... Ann C.

• Posted

Hi Nigel I read that you had gone on to amlodipine and have had lots of horrible symptoms I wondered if you had headaches and pains in your head as well has your other symptoms I've been on amlodipine for a few months and I feel terrible .this morning when I woke I didn't feel too bad. Then i took the amlodipine an hour later I felt terrible. I even went to the doctor's and they said my blood pressure was 210 over 110. They sent me to hospital the hospital told me to go back to the doctor's and get my blood pressure tablets sorted out .I tell you I go round in circles .tonight I'm feeling horrid. my head is hurting so bad. I really hope by stopping the amlodipine so this will all go away I wondered if you knew what kind of blood pressure tablets are the best

rather than go through all this again. Jan

• Posted

Hi Janet,  Just curious how you are doing?  I was at the hospital last weekend with crazy high BP, gave me two pillls sent me home and told me to see my doc, same as you.  I was given amlodipine, oh my, ONE pil my head was pounding.  I did not take another one.  I am trying to self medicate, No more Valsartan either.  BP sometimes high, but Bioslotic is at least under 100.  Usually between 82-99.  Depending on the time of day, mornings are not so good.  I have been taking cayenne capsules, celery seed caps, beet juice, raw almonds, etc....what a pain in the butt, but I feel great, and am sleeping through the night.  WOW!!

I am going to try to figure out a RX that works for me, tired of Docs giving me their 2 cents, and leaving me to feel like s**t.  

• Posted

Whoa! same thing happenned to me today! The exact same thing lol. I even delayed taking the amlo till later in the morning because i wanted to see if i felt better by not taking it first thing which i did feel quite a bit better until about 45 mins after i took the amlo.but my bp at the drs was 180 over something- she never said and then at the hospital 157 over 100. Same result with the emerg doc saying to sort out the bp meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.