I'm 15 and I have Fibromyalgia

Posted , 14 users are following.

After months and months, my doctor confirmed that i had fibromyalgia. Im only 15, and some days i can even tie my shoes without piercing pain. The cold lately has been absolutely terrible. Im afraid. 

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh sweetie I can't believe you have been diagnosed with this at such a young age. I know how painful this can get and most days I'm just soo down with it. I ordered my self a Tens machine this week and I'm sure with a lot of adjusting I will get to a comfortable setting on it. I also bought a gel called Devils Claw. Try and get it if you can in a health food shop. I've tried it a couple of nights and so far it has been a little helpful. My doctor has recently put me on Amitryptilyne but they were making things worse is I've stopped them. They say exercise works but for me I find that doing things aggravates pain and then doing nothing the same so it's just a case of trying to find that middle. Muscle creams, cold patches, sitting in a hot bath for a while. I would also recommend you get a second even third opinion because it is extremely rare for a female of your age to be affected by this disease. I hope I have helped. Sending love and hugs to you. X
  • Posted

I know how you feel hun im 44years old they told me in january that i had fms and i am so scard hate getting up in more pain and having a constant headach for 7months today( 1st november) which i am scard about not knowing why  i have this headach hun
    • Posted

I know you know what you're doing. But, have you tried a liquid mineral supplement or apple cider vinegar (I have to put it in capsules because I hate the taste)? 
  • Posted

Hi Harvest, I am so sorry that you feel so scared. I know that sometimes you can really feel alone when you have this condition. I really feel for you. I've had FM for 20 years now. It started after a severe viral lung infection that went undiagnosed for 6 months!! (It can come from any type of trauma, including surgeries.) I have been to all kinds of drs. and have had every test under the sun. It is very frustrating to try to get people/drs to understand what you are going through. I am from the states and I found this book that all FM sufferers should read... it was written by a female DOCTOR who touches on everything you have - and will - experience. She is brilliant and you will feel like you have someone who finally understands and it is great because you can take this to your doctor and show them that this is real and this is how you are feeling and they will listen because a doctor wrote it! The name of the book is "Fribromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain, A Surival Manual" written by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland. She explains how the myofascial tissues between the muscles becoming tightened (instead of supple) and this has something to do with the nervous system. AND, a good thing that I also found after 20 years of doctoring (15 w/ a rhuematologist that only wanted to give me muscle relaxers and pain pills...) is that a drug for the nervous system called Lamictal (lamoTRIgine), helped with the nerve relays from the brain to the muscles WITHOUT pain meds! It greatly reduced my pain. Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I want to get it out there in hopes that it may help others. Do you have this med available in the UK? I am going to copy this note and paste it in other discussions on this site so that it becomes so redundant in hopes everyone can check this book and med out. Best wishes to you and hang in there. P.S. There is alot of info out there on FM, just keep searching... alot of the discussions on this site have very good suggestions. Just keep knowing that you are not alone and don't have to be afraid. God Bless you and keep you in His care.
  • Posted

Don't be afraid.You may have to rest more than your friends but you can still do the same activities;with less time doing the activity.Just try and get a good nights sleep and go to bed each night on a scheldule time,it will certainly help you.

And try to be in charge of the pain by recognizing when it hits.Ask your Parent/parents to buy you some scented epson salt and lots of bubbles if you can use/bath soaks are good to keep pain at bay(smiles).

Carry-ON,Princess!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.