I'm a drunk

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm sorry for interrupting your time. I'm a drunk and no longer can deal with it.

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Max there is no need to apologise. I am alcohol dependent. I started drinking after I developed severe insomnia 7 months ago and someone suggested drinking before bed would help. But it seems my tolerance is rising and I need more to fall asleep plus the next day I get anxiety, depression and some muscle spasms because of the alcohol withdrawal. Before getting insomnia I rarely drank alcohol. I feel like a curse has been put on me. I hope you get proper help. I want to quit myself but when I try I cannot sleep at all. So I buy more alcohol.
    • Posted

Know exactly how you feel Gareth. I dread morning's. Unless I can sleep past 7 in the morning, that's when I can make it to the corner store to resupply. Some times I shake so bad, that if anyone would actually see it, would be devastated.

• Posted

Gareth, you might check in with a TSM doctor, if you're in the UK there's a fellow by the name of Paul Turner of Alcohol Home Treatment. It's not cheap by any stretch, but he can help you with a home detox (if you can use such an approach), then will start you up on The Sinclair Method. People tend to get control of their drinking very quickly that way. Otherwise, starting TSM when you're drinking and have withdrawal problems would definitely best be done under the care of a physician that is skilled in using it, along with any other medications that fit your situation (like perhaps a blood pressure medication that would reduce anxiety and help you sleep). 

So yes, you can quit quickly or slowly, whichever suits you best, as long as you have the right medical help. 

• Posted

Max, I think if you get the right doctor, you're not going to have to worry much about this. People that drink from AM to PM and start TSM generally get rid of the morning drinking first, then the lunchtime drinking goes by the wayside and then it's just the late afternoon/evening drinking to deal with. That slowly falls away and then you start having Alcohol Free days here and there, then Alcohol Free weeks, then consecutive Alcohol Free weeks and shortly thereafter people just stop wanting that much to do with alcohol anymore. They have a bit at social gatherings, holidays, maybe even a bit at home now and then. That progress all takes many months, but you usually see your interest in alcohol dropping month by month. 

It's all a little easier when you slowly back it out the way it came in, rather than the old school approach of hacking it off and then trying to white-knuckle your way through life with the "Sword of Drunkocles" hanging over your head. 

Don't get me wrong, the traditional approach works just fine for some and they like it just fine, but thankfully there are other very effective options available that might be a better fit for you. 

• Posted

This is getting so confusing and overwhelming. I'm hurting this morning.

• Posted

Hang in there, Max! You're headed in the right direction, just take it easy on yourself. No need to leap in any particular direction today. 

• Posted

If I don't leap now? I'm ganna fall off!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I'm still drinking but I feel so depressed today and took me a while to get out of bed this morning. Earlier today I bought 4 cans of 8% cider for tonight which works out at 14 units. Ok it's not as bad as someone I knew who drank 2-4 bottles of wine plus vodka per day. But I really need to quit before it does get out of control like that as my tolerance does seem to be slowly rising.

• Posted

Gareth, you are talkin with another drunk. I'm so afraid right now.

• Posted

No need to be Max. Main thing is to support each other and sometimes it helps to know you are not the only alcoholic.
    • Posted

Max, did you find a doc on one of the lists that I sent that is close to you?
    • Posted

Gareth, you can also get Nalmefene for drinking reduction on NHS, or Pharmacy2u will give you a private assessment and prescription, if your drinking is in a certain range. If you have the time, NHS would probably be the way to go. I believe you'll need a drinks log that covers a couple of weeks in any case. I'll send you a link to C3 Europe's NHS Area page. You can look up your area and see what the procedure is. If it's as clear as mud to you, Joanna at C3 Europe can help you navigate the pathway for your area.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice ADE. I do want to give up. I am fed up with spending the next day light headed, depressed and anxious.
    • Posted

Gareth, don't you dare give up on me or yourself. I'm not sure why circumstances have brought us here. But I'm a drunk and need help, but I'm also a betting man. Think the odds just might be in our favor.

• Posted

Nalmefene or Naltrexone will help you put the addiction in reverse and slowly bring you back down to reasonable drinking levels (or no drinking, whichever you prefer). Or if you simply want to detox and stop, having some Naltrexone on hand if and when you start drinking again is a good way to go too.

Acamprosate is another option if you just want to stay dry after detox, it takes a couple of weeks to kick in and your normal drinking triggers just bounce off you. 

• Posted

I actually have Naltroxone here. I'm just not sure how it will effect with my other medications.

• Posted

A pharmacist could tell you, but best you talk with a doctor that's familiar with TSM if you want to try that route. A blood test to check the condition of your liver would probably be in order, especially if you drink all day long. Even if your liver isn't in good enough shape for Naltrexone, there are other options available, such as the Acamprosate I mentioned to Gareth.

A doctor that's skilled in the use of these medications could tell you, it may be that you would be just fine to start Naltrexone, but I'm not a doctor so I can't say the one way or the other. 

• Posted

I hope so Max. I have an appointment with my doctor but it's later in the month as they are really busy. I do need medical help before I quit so unfortunately drinking looks to be on the menu until later this month.

• Posted

Thanks ADEfree. I will ask my doctor about those options.
    • Posted

Gareth, another possibility for a private consult is Pharmacy2U, though they only offer Nalmefene (that may be all your NHS area offers too, but some offer Naltrexone). That might give you a way to go till you get covered medication via NHS. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.