I’m back - second hip next week

Posted , 15 users are following.

morning gang!

In 2015, when i had hip1 done, i loved chatting with everyone on here.

Next week i am having second hip done. looking forward to checking in with everyone and comparing progress.

Pre-op today and visit to podiatrist to get feet in best shape

i have a few questions but will save those for another day .

can i be in your gang??

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have 2nd on 22nd january but am in agony with my back as well at the moment .

i feel very low and consultant cannot say if my back will improve after hip op so i am very worried as in excruciating pain .

i too am not so worried a out hip op as had rthr 3 years ago very successfully but did not have back probs then !

good luck and not much longer to wait

• Posted

doodle did dr take any xrays of your back help diagnose the back issue. sometimes it is a different problem. could be arthritis, bone spurs . stenosis, narrowing , scoliosis, ankling spondilitis , hernaited disc many issues different than OA in the hip . i wear a back brace lite elastic makes a big difference in pain, and no lifting anything over 3 lbs before surgery as well as ask for therapy exercises or water therapy ,to strengthen the back muscles and especially strengthen the core muscles these hold your hip and back inplace to the knees, will be very helpful , even just a little bit helps . after all the muscles are what hold up your back and support bones. it helped so much with my recoveries back issues with back issues listed above with thr both hips and a revision last year in my mid 70's . sometimes things can be a bit challenging and hopefully within time you will do well with hip surgery . best wishes.

• Posted

I promised an update and here it is. All went well and things have changed a teeny bit since my last one 2 years ago. last time I was given sedatives pre-operatively but this time no sedatives and I walked to the theatre. I had the epidural and and was so sedated that I did not know anything until I woke up in recovery. Op took quite a long time this time as he had a few problems. Apparently my new hip is 3 sizes larger than the previous replacement- I didn't even know they sized them. Also had to have the socket packed out with 3 layers of bone graft but was told that my bones are strong and in good shape.

Day 1 I only walked to the door and back as I get quite faint with opiates- also very itchy. I'm allergic to all NSAIDS so pain management could potentially be a challenge but I cope well with normal paracetomol (acetametophen in the USA) and codeine.

Day 2 I walked down the hall and up and down the stairs.

Day 3 I had my xray and was home by 1100

Thank heavens for my husband. He is not a very patient soul but it is very reassuring to just know he is there.

Day 4 he got me up and dressed and got my porridge and left me with a flask of coffee and went to work, I must say I love how each 24 hours brings such a marked improvement.

I'm not pushing it but so far so good.

• Posted

It's good to hear you're doing well. Like you, it's almost two years since I had my first RTHR. I completed my LTHR yesterday. Luckily, I was in and out the same day. No cane, crutches, or walker. I feel very fortunate. It's good to know a little of what to expect based on the past experience, but like you said, things have changed - for the good, I think.

• Posted

oh my word!!! 'in and out same day' and no walking aids !!

i thought i was doing well walking with one stick by day 8 .

Well im not in a hurry. Doing little hut often seems to work best for me. if i exercise too much or walk to far i hurt, so I'm enjoying some quiet recovery time.

keep up the good work and let me know how you're progressing

• Posted

For a hip replacement? I am interested to know what method your surgeons used. I have never heard of someone walking straight out of the hospital same day with no crutches. Perhaps the surgery is moving on in some part of the world 😃

• Posted

Hi Rose!

I had the anterior approach, which was the same I had on the right side. I attribute my success to doing the right exercises and stretches to strengthen my legs prior to the surgery. This time I paid much more attention to the pre-surgery exercises and stretches and made sure to do them all. My surgeon uses an application for the smartphone called "Pulse." It counts down the days to surgery and gives you specific exercises and stretches for each day.

I'll also say, though, that I wasn't walking far or fast right away. But, two weeks and a couple days later, I've worked up to a couple miles a day. My leg from my hip to my knee is tight and still feels a little bruised, but elevation and ice seem to help.

Everyone's different. I feel blessed. Best wishes to everyone!

-Kevin

• Posted

if anyone really wants to know, I am doing really well and am very happy with my progress. I've re-learned a few key lessons.

1. Let your friends help you. I am very proud and independent but have been reminded that people like to feel helpful so I ask them to bring me some shopping or some lunch and to have a lovely visit.
    2. Plan, plan, plan- consider every scenario and have things ready. I wear clothes with pockets and have them laid out clean and accessible. I have meals thought out so I don't have to stand in the kitchen wondering what to have. I still love cooking and have been cooking since day 3.
    3. Do moderate exercise- when I over do it, I hurt. When I spend too long in a chair, I stiffen up. Little and often works for me.
    4. Drink plenty of water- I feel better all round and I'm convinced I heal better when I am properly hydrated.
    5. Enjoy the rest- back to work will come soon enough so I am enjoying this time off.

Hope everyone else is finding their way to a smooth new future.

• Posted

I have my second hip replacement coming up. I am very nervous, but glad to be getting it done, but very very nervous despite knowing what is to come this time at least.

Did you find the two experiences the same or completely different?

• Posted

i am having my second hop replacement on the 22nd january hopefully and am more scared than last time . my pain is far worse and different and although the last one was fine and i am having the same surgeon i am so frightened of it all .

i dont know why and am more organised .

what date do you have ?

• Posted

HI Laura. this is a great forum for advice. i am 7 weeks post op and it has been very helpful. take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.