I'm Back! Vulvar burning returned!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I don't know if this is the forum I was posting on a few months ago. I had vaginal burning from multiple treatments for yeast and bacterial infections. I tried everything: coconut oil, olive oil, Vaseline, Estrace. I finally found relief with a compounded estrogen cream and I had been fine for months.

After sex, I usually burn for a couple of days, but I am returning to my chronic burning. I used hydrocortisone 1% ointment the last couple of days and now I am burning even more. I have stopped using the estrogen compound until the burning or irritation clears up, for I don't want to exacerbate the irritation.

Just wondering if anyone else burns from hydrocortisone ointment. Also wondering if I stop the estrogen compound (which I use twice a week) should I start using it daily for three weeks as I did when I first started?

I thought I was cured from this misery! Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told and also found out the hard way that stopping the estrogen cream will only make it worse. I have no uterus so my gyno gave me the green light to use as much or as little as I need. Do you use it on your outer bits as well as internally? I smear it everywhere especially around my urethra, about a pea size amount and usually only a 1/2g internally 2x week.. sometimes I have to either add a day or I up my dosage to 1g. I've never used hydrocortisone, the estrace cream fixed that for me along with coconut oil in between the estrogen. Have you been checked for AV? Your story sounds just like mine except I had no yeast infection, but was treated 4 times and also for BV, when all along it was AV. If I miss an application I'm miserable. You can try to use it daily, but I'd check with your doc to make sure it's ok for you.

My doc told me the estrogen cream will be life long.

I hope you get relief soon, this whole process is miserable!

• Posted

me too! free of this fir five years but just came back. thought i had thrush but after single oral tablet which seemed to help fir a few days, now back with all the soreness and pain. tried vaginal pessaries with probiotic flora but didnt help. ive tried these before and they didnt sting but now stinging. dont know whats causing it. seeing doc later today to get tested for thrush and BV. expecting these to come back negative. not using anything until seen doc and had tests

• Posted

Hi Lorrie it's all so deliberating isn't it. You have to be extremely careful with the hydrocortisone ointment as you probably already know. There isn't any creams and treatments I haven't tried.Nothing has cured my VA .....as we all know ..there is no cure apart from The Mona Lisa Touch for most people... absolutely making sure the equipment is the genuine approved machine and you have a practiced professional treating you. I am just about to have my second treatment ..you must have at least 3. At the moment i am well on the way to recovery with all the symptoms I had.Everyone is different with obviously the symptoms and severity of the VA.I don't use any cream,ointments or pessaries now and i'm sure this has helped me as well..too much interference down there with the bodies skin balances.. I had to save up for the MLT but it was life changing for me already... I can't imagine now going back to the start of that terrible journey 3 years ago. It's not instant as it takes time for the new collagen to rebuild and regenerate .....it's not rejuvenation.I had both the inside and the labia done and you must make sure they are going to use numbing cream on the outside as this is where the nerve endings are. I didn't feel any pain and you only feel a slight vibration on the inside as there are no nerves in the vagina walls. Good Luck

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi. I had itching burning for two years. I found a nurse practitioner who treated me for a month on diflucan 200 mg a day then 150 mg once a week for several months. it cured me. i just wanted to let you know that a once or twice diflucan doesn't always cure. I hardly have to use my estrogen cream now. I had a complete hysterectomy in 2012. if your cortisone cream is over the counter, it will burn. even the type for female itch. go to your doctor and ask for Nystatin/triamcinolone cream or ointment. it can be expensive. I hope you feel better soon. also ketoconozole cream external will help if its yeast. yeast can be severe and stubborn. i never had a yeast infection until that severe bout. hormonal changes can cause an overgrowth. also there can be other strains of yeast than candida.

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me some lidocaine 5% cream. It gets rid of the burning and pain for a few hours. Although I use the estrace too, immediate relief comes from the lido. Before that, I used vagisil, which has benzocaine but it otc. Not as effective, but way cheaper.

• Posted

lorrie, if you click on your name in any of your comments it will bring you to your history on this site. Your last post garnered** 368 comments**!! It seems I was part of it, but I can't remember reading all 368. After 3 years I have learned quite a bit but can honestly say I'm overwhelmed.

As I have AV and LS I have difficulty figuring out which is causing what symptom. But it's becoming obvious after reading the array of symptoms women experience that treating them must be like trying to practice clairvoyance for doctors and like shooting craps for us.

What jumped out from your post is that you are using hydrocortisone cream. People with LS use steroids but I don't remember those with just AV doing so. You aren't using it internally, are you? If so I would definitely run that by a doctor. The steroid is what soothes exterior LS problems (unless too much is applied).

I'm assuming the estradiol cream I have been using has remedied most of my AV issues though I sometimes react to it and have to take a day off (I use a small amount externally every night). Most of my discomfort seems to caused by the LS, but who knows. I'm still not free of internal itches that come & go.

I have just purchased PH strips in an attempt to figure out if that is my problem, but after one urine test I can't find a match on the package!

I wish you luck clearing up your current issues.

• Posted

Hi lorrie, ill bet its yeast,, 2 drs insisted mine wasn't and 3 rd one said i had and treatsd sith Diflucan and 1 a week 3 months worked. I took antibiotics and again this happened, everything burns when i have yeast. One dr wanted to do surgery on me even , good thing i went to a urogyn he has helped me and Vaseline lol This yeast thing does come often , and awful always running to drs

• Posted

yolanda, years ago I went to a women's clinic started by Dr. Christiane Northrup. I had had an infection for five long years, but was finally given the medication I asked for (Flagyl) by my GP as my gyn refused. Though cured I decided to go to my long awaited appointment at the clinic as was interested in hearing what they thought, if anything, of my condition as the infection was never categorized. I was put on a yeast free diet (though I had constantly tested negative), given a prescription for Diflucan and sold a nutritional powder. As I had no symptoms at the time of the visit the only benefit was that my scalp was its cleanest since puberty. The practitioner's thinking was that yeast hides in the body and is very often misdiagnosed. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being treated for it as long as you were though. Did she continue to do tests or simply prescribe diflucan for that length of time?

• Posted

Ah...once again my post is being "moderated". The two medications I mentioned have been in many posts. I included a well known doctor's name who started a women's clinic. Are we not allowed to mention a doctor's clinic?

• Posted

Hi beverly,

I've yet to figure out the way they moderate this site. It seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing on any given day of the week. Some people can put names of clinics, books, businesses to purchase products, addresses to doctors offices, names of products, names of videos, names of medications, names of doctors. But then another poster puts the name of a product or book and it gets moderated and deleted.

• Posted

Jude, I see it has appeared. The inconsistency is really annoying. But to be truthful my posts seem to be consistently moderated. It's as though I'm seen as a secret agent...of what I don't know.

• Posted

Beverly, he said that being i started the hormone cream also causes yeast until I body ajusts and tas a prevention of it returning as badly as i had it.Even had sores that most likely were from the yeast down there, the other drs couldn't figure it out, treated me for antiviril also

• Posted

Yolanda, are you saying because you started on hormone cream you were prescribed the diflucan for that length of time as a preventative measure? And that the previous yeast infection caused sores??

• Posted

Beverley , when first diagnosed for yeast i guess wasn't cleared up so it was getting worse with replens and all other treatment s for the va. Drs kept saying it wasn't yeast when infact it was,and only clearing that up solved alot of the other problems that were there. everything i was putting there was burning because it was yeast

• Posted

Unless I am misunderstanding I think what this means is that yeast can go undetected. I'm assuming the other doctors were checking you to see if the original infection had in fact been resolved. This is what the practitioner at the women's clinic had said to me and why she prescribed the diflucan (though not for the length of time you took it.) I only went there twice as it meant traveling to another state and paying hundreds out of pocket. I doubt that, in my case, yeast was the issue at that time as I was fine after taking the flagyl for the next 20 years. Now, who knows what is going on with my body!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.