I'm convinced mirtazapine has been the cause of my panic attacks and anxiety!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been on mirtazapine for 6 years and the last 3 have been pure hell!

They worked to start with was put on them after birth of daughter because i wasn't sleeping making me depressed.

Tried sertraline but made insomnia worse.

First 3 years they worked great either on 30 or 45 depending how i was at at the time.

Then 3 years ago i increased to higher dose within 7 weeks I had my first full blown panic attack! Never ever had one before.

My oartner at the time called an ambulance we both thought i was having a heart attack! I was a very chilled laid back bubbly girl whocould handle pretty much anything.

I dealt with my problems and whoever else needed my help I'd take it all in my stride. I had no reason to panic and still don't now. Didn't occur to me that it could have been the meds causing this

Quite the opposite. That maybe i was really ill and I needed them more than ever.

The paramedics told me that it was just a panic attack but I was first one in the docs the following morning.

My usual doc was on a sebatical so had to see stand in. She gave me diazipams and told me to relax and see how I feel. They helped but id be wakingbthrough night with attacks

Whichbi found impossible to calm down from. I was scared! Why was this happening to me?

Doc said i think youre on wrong meds and cross tapered mirt with citalopram. Long story short I got much much worse. How i still functioned I dont know.

Thingd did calm down a bit on 30nof mirt and 40 of citbbut not much panicking daily only think that helped was alcohol.

I was afraid to take diazipams due to addiction. Wt? I remember the days I used to taoevthese for fun?

Cit made my belly bad. So weaned myself off those felt a bit better so struggled through for 6 months using diazipams if i got too bad. Wasn't having full blown panic attacks just terrible morning anxiety which carried on low through the days.

Started to hate diazipams because of sedating effects I wanted to be able to get on with things as it made me feel better. I was getting quite frustrated. Not depressed. I wasn't scared to go out and do anything just didn't have the energy for it.

So went back to doc who increased my dose back to 45. Within 7 weeks BAM!! Id been set back 3 years.

So finally think weve got to the root of it. But now having to withdraw. I keep my focus on that I can already seeing great improvment already. Ie no panic attaks or anxiety spikes and the ones ibdo get are manageable and down to withdrawal.

I thought id start this thread now to see if 1 anyones experienced anything simular/or is expierencing it now! 2 to gain support from people who understand.

I will check in regularly to help supprt anyone who thinksbi maybe able to helpnand let you know how withdrawal process is getting on

Currently on 30 mirt day 9 of reduction from 45.

Pahic attacks have stopped and anxiety spikes have dropped. Diazipams help when needed. Tried propranolol but they kade me tired flat and depressed.

Have a headache and feel sick but if i lay still I'm fine. Funny though in the evenings i feel instantly better after taking my mirt. Like a sense of calm.

Anyways thanks if youve made it this far and look forward to hearing your views

X

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So 2 weeks today since i dropped my dose and the withdrawal is unbearable

I was awake from 2am

Dry heaving, stomach cramps, wicked anxiety over nothing tremors

I ended up taking half a 15mg tab so 7.5 it has helped a bit

Going to see doc in a bit

I don't intend on increasing the dose (i can't unless i want panic attacks)

But was going to take the remaining dose 22.5mg tonight

Its worked so if doc says ok I'll ride out remainder of withdrawal like it

Will say i haven't needed a diazzy

Anyone else tried it this way?

Hope you are all doing well

S x

• Posted

Hi Suzannah

My two week time line bombed for you mate sorry!!!!!!frown

See what the doc thinks. 

I have thrown all my toys out the pram this morning I was referred to a psychiartrist on 28/3 (my first appointment) still havent actually seen the organ grinder just his monkeys(sorry but the make me so angry) my appointment to actually see the shrink was 23/5 so I had a tantrum and Ive got an appointment for Thursday.

My name is probably mud over there!!!!!!

Stay strong you are not alonecool

• Posted

Oh lynne

I feel for you

Understand about pdoc in 3 years i saw 1 twice and another 1 once. The rest of the time i saw pdu.

And when i did see shrink he made his mind up about me in 5 mins wrote a script and said see how you get on?.

They're not smarties. I actually got worse

But have taken a proactive approach today and found a local psychologist and have booked in to see him Friday to get some support while I'm in withdrawal.

I dont know the root cause of why anything is happening to me and now meds don't work I'm determined to tackle this once and for all

At least you have an appointment now. Sometimes having a paddy is the only way to be heard. But we all need that bit of hope that we are actually doing something about our conditions and we will get better

Mental health signed me off said they only deal with people in crisis.

I feel like im in a crisis but I think they mean im not completely cookoo and theyre overwhelmed.

Do hope we all get some answers and make progress soon xx

• Posted

It is terrible that you have to act like a mad woman before they will do anything.

Anyway you take care I know its tough at the moment but you will get therecoolx

• Posted

You're not mad! They just make you feel that way

I hope you get the support you deserve

S x

• Posted

So sorry you're having a battering of a wd Suzannah.  For some the 'peak' is 14 days and you're at that now are you?  It sucks, it is so hard when you wake at 2 a.m. and can't get back to sleep, I understand why you might reach for another dose of Mirt, but please take care of yourself, and do be careful because upping and downing can leave your neuro transmitters very confused and lead to prolonged wd.

Did you speak to your pharmacist about something for the nausea maybe?  

From most folks stories of p'docs', they don't seem to know about tapering of Mirt', the best advice is here I think.  I've been reading up for a long time before I started my wd last October, I'm so grateful to others on this forum for their wealth of experience.  No p'doc has helped me so much.

I increased my 5% taper every 2-3 weeks to 8% this time, and I have felt a difference, never thought so little could make me feel so much fatigue - even at the 4.2 mg ... the lower I go the more fatigue I seem to get ... ugh.

Stay strong, keep posting, stabilisation is just around the corner waiting for you and everyone going throuugh this.  Nice and slow is the only way x

• Posted

Good morning calmer

Day 15 today and i have to say it seems to be getting easier

I was awake at 4.30 but that's better than 2 am and for once didn't spiral into a panic. Was my digestion that woke me up.

Don't get me wrong i still feel wickedly sick but the shakes have died down. And the panic is now a low stress anxiety easy enough to ignore.

Has just fuelled my belief that was the tablets making me worse,

I have a really sore belly and usually I'd say it was anxiety but i don't think it is anymore. I think it's a side effect of mirt making me feel sick which makes me not want to go anywhere. Go out drinking with my mates I'd throw up after 1 i know it!

I never ever had anxiety or panic attacks before this drug.

Im stuck on it for a little longer my doc said that 15mg was for anxiety and sleep the higher doses are more activating for depression.

Only thing that's making me anxious or depressed is how sick i feel. So wouldn't say i haven't got anxiety as believe now i have health anxiety but that's been brought on by illness due to mirt

Dic says stay on this dose for another 3 weeks

I will get there in the end already feel a little better I'd say the peak of it was yesterday so the 2 week jark

I hope everyone is doing well

How you all getting along?

S x

• Posted

Hi, I'm having a good day thanks Suzannah !  

Just a thought ... you might want to keep a journal of your tapering, some find it helps, you may well have the same pattern each month/taper so for instance you might find that on day 4/5 you feel more fatigue, by day 9/10 you might feel low etc, at least that way you can read whats going on.

The sickness should pass soon also I think; sounds like your doctor is quite supportive, not many GP's are wise enough to say "stay on this dose for another 3 weeks" - that's a blessing for you smile

Quite a few folk on here have had really bad anxiety jumping upwards from 15 to 30 mg, it's quite a big jump huh?  You may be more sensitive, not everyone can tolerate the higher dose.  

Glad to hear the sleep was a little better, if we can sleep we can heal, I hope the tummy settles soon.

• Posted

Hi everyone

Thought I'd do an update day 16 of tapering from 45 to 30

The waking panic attacks have stopped although my digestion is now my new alarm clock!

Have a headache but I now feel calm. Still feeling sick and achey but I haven't been able to eat properly in weeks I'm not starving myself but find i can only eat in evening after taking the mirt.

Hopefully this changes soon i like a pub lunch.

But other than that I'm doing much better. Started cbt today so has helped knowing I'm doing something about my illness instead of just relying on meds.

I hope you are all doing well and have an exciting weekend planned.

Let me know how you're getting on

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.