I'm convinced mirtazapine has been the cause of my panic attacks and anxiety!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been on mirtazapine for 6 years and the last 3 have been pure hell!

They worked to start with was put on them after birth of daughter because i wasn't sleeping making me depressed.

Tried sertraline but made insomnia worse.

First 3 years they worked great either on 30 or 45 depending how i was at at the time.

Then 3 years ago i increased to higher dose within 7 weeks I had my first full blown panic attack! Never ever had one before.

My oartner at the time called an ambulance we both thought i was having a heart attack! I was a very chilled laid back bubbly girl whocould handle pretty much anything.

I dealt with my problems and whoever else needed my help I'd take it all in my stride. I had no reason to panic and still don't now. Didn't occur to me that it could have been the meds causing this

Quite the opposite. That maybe i was really ill and I needed them more than ever.

The paramedics told me that it was just a panic attack but I was first one in the docs the following morning.

My usual doc was on a sebatical so had to see stand in. She gave me diazipams and told me to relax and see how I feel. They helped but id be wakingbthrough night with attacks

Whichbi found impossible to calm down from. I was scared! Why was this happening to me?

Doc said i think youre on wrong meds and cross tapered mirt with citalopram. Long story short I got much much worse. How i still functioned I dont know.

Thingd did calm down a bit on 30nof mirt and 40 of citbbut not much panicking daily only think that helped was alcohol.

I was afraid to take diazipams due to addiction. Wt? I remember the days I used to taoevthese for fun?

Cit made my belly bad. So weaned myself off those felt a bit better so struggled through for 6 months using diazipams if i got too bad. Wasn't having full blown panic attacks just terrible morning anxiety which carried on low through the days.

Started to hate diazipams because of sedating effects I wanted to be able to get on with things as it made me feel better. I was getting quite frustrated. Not depressed. I wasn't scared to go out and do anything just didn't have the energy for it.

So went back to doc who increased my dose back to 45. Within 7 weeks BAM!! Id been set back 3 years.

So finally think weve got to the root of it. But now having to withdraw. I keep my focus on that I can already seeing great improvment already. Ie no panic attaks or anxiety spikes and the ones ibdo get are manageable and down to withdrawal.

I thought id start this thread now to see if 1 anyones experienced anything simular/or is expierencing it now! 2 to gain support from people who understand.

I will check in regularly to help supprt anyone who thinksbi maybe able to helpnand let you know how withdrawal process is getting on

Currently on 30 mirt day 9 of reduction from 45.

Pahic attacks have stopped and anxiety spikes have dropped. Diazipams help when needed. Tried propranolol but they kade me tired flat and depressed.

Have a headache and feel sick but if i lay still I'm fine. Funny though in the evenings i feel instantly better after taking my mirt. Like a sense of calm.

Anyways thanks if youve made it this far and look forward to hearing your views

X

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was also in mitarzapine, had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, bad depression and all the "normal simptoms" related to anxiety and depresion but today I am FREE, I havent felt so well before, I stop taking Mitarzapine after a year on it (very slowly) but I also worked on myself, I am convinced we are the ones causing our own anxiety and fear and only you can cure yourself. I bought the book "The feeling great hanbook" by David Burns and it helped me tremendenly, I did all the exercises the way he sugggest and worked on myself every day for at least one hour, I also follow some other guides I found online and started practicing mindulness and meditations. Meds do not cure, only disguise the simptoms but once you are off them if you havent worked on yourself it comes back. 

It is really up to you to heal all those emotions you never gave you the change to express and show, all that anger, sadness, etc that you have been keeping because, lets face it, that what we were taught.... 

It took me 3 months of hard work on myself to see changes, after 5 months of hard work on myself my enxiety and depression went away and now I am more open, I express more, it's ok to feel and to show it, think about it, there is something the anxiety is trying to tell you, you need to listen and not to try to take it away with medicine, because it will never go away that way....

Wish you all the best!

• Posted

Hi Monica

God I wish I get to the point you are at seems so far off right now

But you've given me hope thanks for that smile

Im suffering bad withdrawal atm

Anxiety has been better today but I feel so so ill

Anyone know how long this will last?

S x

• Posted

It lasted about 2 weeks with me but I came of too fast

You will get there

Your not alone 

stay strongcool

• Posted

Hi Suzannah

Im still struggling Im down to 7.5mg and I have told the doc I will come off in my own time I am not going to be rushed.

Went for first CBT on Friday did'nt learn much she was just going over childhood etc,it was tough still emotionally rung out from it.

But onwards and upwards

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

That great smile

Did you drop from 15?

I know you said 2 weeks for withdrawal I'm holding on to that as will be 2 weeks tomorrow

I went to the pharmacy earlier got to the point i was going to pass out

I now have magnesium, metatone, muti vitamins and cod liver oil

I had to do something plus got me out

Oh and bought some codeine

I figure if i can shift the head ache the dizziness might go too

This your first night for the drop?

Good luck smile

S x

• Posted

Your doing great 

I have been given 7.5mg of zopiclone but I cant take that every night.

We will get there in the endcheesygrin

• Posted

That definitely helped my first week of withdrawal

Good luck

We will get there

Here if you need me

S x

• Posted

If the withdrawal symptoms are too severe, you can updose a tiny amount, provided you have a way to do it.  Severe symptoms mean your taper is going too fast/too steep (too big of cuts).  Listen to your body.  A slower taper means you can slide off without feeling so bad, remain functional.  

• Posted

Hi ya betsy

Unfortunately I can't go back up on this med as any stronger and it causes my panic attacks

Hense the big drop. I made it to 8 weeks on increase before they started so doc said go back to last dose you were stable on.

I don't get panic attacks on 30 just a lingering anxiety which I've never had before in my life

Will go alot slower from now on but had to drop this time to stop attacks. Which it has

But the withdrawal is awful sad

Cant wait to feel better

Even a little bit

Hooe you are still doing well

Where are you with your taper?

S x

• Posted

I understand, Suzannah.  You'll just have to hang out at this dose until stability finally sets in.  The lower end is hardest since proprotionately more receptors are freed up from small dosage changes.

I'm currently at 13 mg.  The 10% per month taper has been going really well, no withdrawal worth mentioning, but this past week has been tough emotionally because I am also coming off Effexor and forgot to take a dose a week ago which causes reverberations for a few days.  Couple that with the fact that my old dog has been sick and anorexic, and I've lost it emotionally a couple of times.  Well, that would affect anyone, but I found myself not coping well at all.  Probably my old way of going amplified by instability with the taper - withdrawal is always just under the surface of stability when being hit by a stressor!

I hope you feel better soon!  We just have to nurture ourselves through.

• Posted

Poor you betsy sounds like you are going through a tough time

Withdrawal on top too

Dud you go on effexor to help with withdrawals from mirt?

Im trying not to go on anything else unless i get in real trouble

How are you feeling today?

S x

• Posted

good afternoon betsy

how do you taper your meds? its funny I can get zopiclone 7.5mg all the  time which is a CD but having to fight tooth and nail to get mirts liquid hoping Calmers idea will do the trick been a horrible day yesturday not much better now I feel if I have a head cold all the time ,and the tummy,plus now getting the hot flushes theywake me up at 3or4 in the morning so fit for nothing most of the day sorry for going on hope you ladies are getting some relieve

Px 

• Posted

Hello orchid

Sorry you're not doing well you sound exactly the same as me.

It's debilitating isn't it? I went and spoke to my local pharmacy. They are going to order me the liquid when i get to that stage just from my normal prescription.

R u in uk? My doc will only ever give me a weeks zopiclones at a time and same with benzo's. Does make you use them more sparingly as you don't know when and if you can get some more

All of your symptoms are due to withdrawals. Im getting exactly the same thing except I'm not just feeling sick now I'm actually vomiting which is better because at least you get it out

Go speak to your pharmacist

U had a melt down yesterday and went in to see what they could suggest to help side effects. He was very helpful took me in a private room to talk

He was the one that mentioned it comes as a liquid and that i should do a slower taper in future

Knew more than most i was impressed

Hope you are getting some relief

My withdrawal was so bad early hrs of this morning i took a little chunk of my tablet did help i actually got out today! Just a thought not increasing dose just going to take the rest later

S x

• Posted

I have spoken to her she was very helpful they can cut the tablets into quarters,for you but would not commit herself to say it was wd,I am still with 11.25 at the moment, trying hard not to go back to 15mg mind you the doctor did say the pills were doing me no good,she just wants me off no matter what,

To your answer yes I live in surrey

yes it makes laugh to be able to get sleeping pills so easy I dont know how much they cost,they say the liquid is quite expensive perhaps thats 

why they are not willing to give out.

Px

• Posted

Maybe but was the pharmacy that suggested it to me.

As long as we get there doesn't matter how

Maybe speak to your doc?

S d

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.