I'm convinced mirtazapine has been the cause of my panic attacks and anxiety!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been on mirtazapine for 6 years and the last 3 have been pure hell!

They worked to start with was put on them after birth of daughter because i wasn't sleeping making me depressed.

Tried sertraline but made insomnia worse.

First 3 years they worked great either on 30 or 45 depending how i was at at the time.

Then 3 years ago i increased to higher dose within 7 weeks I had my first full blown panic attack! Never ever had one before.

My oartner at the time called an ambulance we both thought i was having a heart attack! I was a very chilled laid back bubbly girl whocould handle pretty much anything.

I dealt with my problems and whoever else needed my help I'd take it all in my stride. I had no reason to panic and still don't now. Didn't occur to me that it could have been the meds causing this

Quite the opposite. That maybe i was really ill and I needed them more than ever.

The paramedics told me that it was just a panic attack but I was first one in the docs the following morning.

My usual doc was on a sebatical so had to see stand in. She gave me diazipams and told me to relax and see how I feel. They helped but id be wakingbthrough night with attacks

Whichbi found impossible to calm down from. I was scared! Why was this happening to me?

Doc said i think youre on wrong meds and cross tapered mirt with citalopram. Long story short I got much much worse. How i still functioned I dont know.

Thingd did calm down a bit on 30nof mirt and 40 of citbbut not much panicking daily only think that helped was alcohol.

I was afraid to take diazipams due to addiction. Wt? I remember the days I used to taoevthese for fun?

Cit made my belly bad. So weaned myself off those felt a bit better so struggled through for 6 months using diazipams if i got too bad. Wasn't having full blown panic attacks just terrible morning anxiety which carried on low through the days.

Started to hate diazipams because of sedating effects I wanted to be able to get on with things as it made me feel better. I was getting quite frustrated. Not depressed. I wasn't scared to go out and do anything just didn't have the energy for it.

So went back to doc who increased my dose back to 45. Within 7 weeks BAM!! Id been set back 3 years.

So finally think weve got to the root of it. But now having to withdraw. I keep my focus on that I can already seeing great improvment already. Ie no panic attaks or anxiety spikes and the ones ibdo get are manageable and down to withdrawal.

I thought id start this thread now to see if 1 anyones experienced anything simular/or is expierencing it now! 2 to gain support from people who understand.

I will check in regularly to help supprt anyone who thinksbi maybe able to helpnand let you know how withdrawal process is getting on

Currently on 30 mirt day 9 of reduction from 45.

Pahic attacks have stopped and anxiety spikes have dropped. Diazipams help when needed. Tried propranolol but they kade me tired flat and depressed.

Have a headache and feel sick but if i lay still I'm fine. Funny though in the evenings i feel instantly better after taking my mirt. Like a sense of calm.

Anyways thanks if youve made it this far and look forward to hearing your views

X

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just an update

This jorning woke up with terrible anxiety. I took half a diazzy.

Have a horrible taste in my mouth

Med headache pressure on temple and front top of head

Feeling sick laying down helps but only if i can keep my mind busy don't want to start focusing on how i feel too much.

Had a client today ( im a hairdresser) shesva regular and i forced myself to do it although i was still in my p'js luckily she understood

But this is why it's so important you try and stay social during withdrawals. That little hr of conversation brought me back to reality and broke my long day up.

Everyday i try and pop to shop or run 1 errand or pop to a friend for a natter

Even if it's just half hour and so what if you bore them with your woes. That's what friends are for.

Or just come on hete and have a moan at me smile I can take it

Had to sit down a fewbtimes during appointment i feel like I'm recovering from surgery how exhausted i am

But day 10 got a way to go yet

Hope you have a lovely peaceful weekend

S x

• Posted

So today i am really feeling the effects

I did sleep last night even though i didn't have a zopiclone. But was awake at 6.30am with the worst anxiety stomach cramps sickness blurred vision. Light headed. Nauseated. Snotty and flemmy.

The worst bit is the moments of self doubt that I'm too weak to do this.

I know deep down its just withdrawal. Scared of depression returning.

Trying to stay positive but it's hard. Will definitely go slower in future

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

S x

• Posted

Good Morning to all

like you I good night also had bad effects this morning,I am going to wait another week before I reduce again so that will make it three weeks,I find as calmer said to make smaller reduction but I only cut them with a knife my pill cutter seems to brake them up,the other thing I 

• Posted

Sorry about that it froze I find I am seem weak when trying to do things

unlike before even trying to hoover is a nightmare not sure if its old age or the mirts doing it.

Have a lovely Sunday to you all

• Posted

Good morning orchid

Its awful isn't it? Has been happening a few weeks now but I can usually pull myself out of it.

This morning was much worse. The exhaustion on top is making it hard to kick my brain into gear. Then on mornings like this morning when the anxiety was so bad i struggled to breathe so had no choice but to take diazipam.

Which just added to exhaustion but didn't want to freak my kids out.

I've tried so hard to hide this from them

All they know is mummies tablets are making her sick and it's going to be a while before I'm completely better.

As soon as I have a good period I make it up to them

Wish there was a quicker way to rid myself of this

Will keep fighting

S x

• Posted

I do hope you feel a little better soon.I will be glad when the tummy feels better I know it nerves trying not to worry about all the achs and pains and fed up with people saying pull your self together if only it was that simply.I glad I found this site and people that going through the same thing it reall does help.

patricia x

• Posted

Poor you

Unless you have been through it yourself i don't think anyone fully understands. Especially doctors

Just stick to the dose you are at until you feel strong enough to go again

Does your doc know what you are doing? Maybe the liquid would b easier?

S x

• Posted

The emotional withdrawal effects scare me the most, too - and depression is a withdrawal symptom, so don't let it trick you into thinking that you must need the drugs because the depression came back.  If you taper slowly enough and with small enough cuts, you shouldn't have that kind of fall-out at all.  Just ask Calmer, who has been doing a very slow taper!  Me, too.  Your level of symptoms means you are cutting too big.  Calmer and I have both been doing 5% every two weeks and hardly notice a difference!  Slow and steady wins the race, even though it is annoying to have to go to such lengths.  That's why so many people fail; they aren't willing to go to the level of trouble it takes to actually be successful :-)

Evergreen slid off by making her own liquid, allowing her to make small cuts that way.

• Posted

hi,i am reading this thread with great interest .Cutting by 5 or even 10% will,it seems take ages but if it it works then great. (over a year by my estimation) I am seeing my doc on fri in order to get off so it will be interesting what he says .Most docs use the Maudsley bk ,which i have found very lacking in the past even though it is the docs bible.If people are having problems using a pill cutter then you cld weigh the mirt and using an emery board (or whatever) + file off 5 or 10% so as to get correct dose.This method will be more suited to the lower doses especially.It is the immense tiredness that really gets me -it wore off last year but this yr it's awful -i cant get going before 2pm .
    • Posted

Evergreen on here made her own liquid mirtazapine, though some can get it from their doctor, in the UK at least.  You can use an oral syringe to get those difficult levels.

I've seen too many people fail to get off this drug using more crude tapers, doctor prescribed mind you, so 10% may seem like ages but if it ends in success then it is worth it!

• Posted

You've given me some hope in regards to anxiety. I'm on Welbutrin and 30mg of mirz for over a year for depression and Clonopin for anxiety. In recent months I've had increasing anxiety upon waking that lasted for hours. I've been suspecting that Mirz may be the cause of this relatively sudden increase of anxiety. After reading yours and other posts I am going to begin tapering off. I wonder if simply breaking them in half is too much taper? Anyway, thank you for posting.
    • Posted

Hi gef

Wow thats a lot of meds

This happened 3 years ago for me only just realising it's the meds.

Slow taper is the way forward

The withdrawal isn't pretty

Dont take any other meds on top. They made me bonkers got tested for bipolar

Turns out was a little serotonin syndrome

I went from 45 to 30

First 10 days fine then BAM!

Ive got docs on thurs im gonnavtalk to him about liquid

Will let you know how I get on

Keep in touch with your taper will help anyway i can

S x

• Posted

And should add you should speak to your doc first

You will need their support

S x

• Posted

Happy Sunday all !

Suzannah you have the classic symptoms, wd hits hard at day 10-12 with a fast taper, and I wonder if 'stopping' Zopiclone has added to the mix?  You can get wd from that too, and rebound insomnia so I'd say to be really careful, my doc took Zopiclone away and in hindsight I'm happy she did.  

Orchid, maybe your doc wont prescribe Mirt liquid as its expensive £66 I think, but ask for the Sol Tabs (soluble Mirt) becuase you can make up a liquid with those, can give more info if you like when you're ready, what ever you like.  

Gef you're a feller maybe?  Any male that I have ever tried to help or advise has always decided to do it their own way anyway, so I'm wary now, but all I would say is study what we are saying here about a slow wd, no more than 10% every 3 weeks or so, because this wd is a nightmare if you get it wrong.  So think long and hard about that 50% taper that you're considering, with compassion, I urge you to go nice and slow, be kind to yourself smile  Anyways ...  you might find you are ok at 15mg, it's not very often you get to hear of anyone going from 15 to 30 that improve on this forum.

Best wishes for a super Sunday everyone, off to pull some weeds in the garden !

• Posted

Good afternoon calmer

How are you feeling today?

I never intended to stay on the zopiclone they were actually given to me when the doc gave me sertraline. I only took half a tab and anxiety went through the roof!

Glad I had them to start with though although think they may have delayed some withdrawal symptoms

I dint like taking meds anymore only 1 that even slightly helps is diazipams but then they make me tired but i can't sleep on them. So only use them when I'm in trouble. Was worried at 1 point i was addicted so stopped taking them but i didn't get any withdrawals. Not like this.

Im hoping I've reached my peak on withdrawal faze and look forward to seeing some improvement.

I could use the attitude change right now

Hope you have a nice afternoon

S x

• Posted

Yes, breaking them in half is too much!  The brain finds 50% cuts rather unacceptable!  10% is a harm-reduction approach.  20% would be pushing it, though you might get away with it down to 15 mg. The lower you go the more profoundly bigger cuts affect you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.