I'm forgetting things in short term memory more and more each day. I take Zoloft for anxiety.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I forget so much and often feel like there's not enough time to do anything. If I need to make a phone call, I feel like that's just something more to get in my way for that day. If I have to stop by the store for gas, I get upset because it's another something to do! I feel extremely overwhelmed and there's no one I can turn to. I do pray, but I'm lonely in the world! Just say hi... Thanks for reading.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I pretty much do all of that haha. I know I forget things so I rely on my phone and set all kinds of reminders and stuff and it usually helps, but like small things like the reason I went downstairs ( when I already went back up ) happens to me pretty much hourly and it's frustrating but I'm used to it by now. And the time thing is big for me too. But how I am, I either just take FOREVER to do it and perfect it or I procrastinate and totally BS it but I'm in high school so my BS looks like 100% effort but yeah time wise it feels like I'm on a tight schedule all the time but I'm really not most of the time.
  • Posted

Hey Renee, 

this sounds like it could be a side effect of the Zoloft. Did you have this issue before taking Zoloft?

How much are you taking? For how long have you been taking it? Did you make any dose changes recently? Bad concentration and memory is also a very common withdrawal symptom when stopping anti-depressants.

I would definitely speak with your doctor. Maybe your dose is too high. 

Are you feeling like the Zoloft has helped the anxiety at all? 

Best, 

L

• Posted

Hi Renee,

That sounds so much like me - I couldn't have put it better myself! I am self employed and work at home, spending many hours alone with the TV on in the background as company. I've got so used to it that I start to resent hubby getting breaks in the day and coming home and disrupting things! Where does the time go when the phone keeps ringing with sales or PPI calls?? I end up getting very stressed, and the more stressed I get the more flustered and forgetful and nothing gets done!

I am not on any meds., but I do seem to have hit the perimenopause (age 50) and my hormones are clearly all over the place, helping to cause mood swings and forgetfulness. I love the days when I know I don't have to go out for any reason - they start with such good intentions of getting stuff done, but it's rare they end with any feeling of satisfaction of achievement!

You don't say what your age is, but hormonal imbalances can cause anxiety, depression etc. at any age.particularly teens for both sexes and then later on for us ladies.

Whatever the cause or causes of your symptoms, rest assured, you are not alone, and you'll find plenty of company and support on these forums.

• Posted

Oh my! You're exactly my age! And I too hate when my husband interrupts my day. I feel like it's an intrusion on so much I need to get done. I work part time out of the home. We biologically have a 19,8 and five year old. The eldest is away in college. I Am so glad some one out there understands no matter how hard I try I just get overwhelmed and nothing gets done. What happened! I plan things out and at the end of the day I feel defeated. Thanks for reminding me about 50 menopause.
  • Posted

its ok short term memory is bad on meds , long term is fine.    frustrating i no getting your self worked up thinking  often happens , ok renee
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. I'll keep my head up.
  • Posted

Hello Renee

All the replies you've had so far are spot-on, even though each person is an individual describing differing experiences.

Try not to fret, as this is either a side-effect of your meds that will lessen in time, or if not, treatable another way. Forgetfulness is such a frustrating thing to deal with. I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten to do things I planned, or failed to do things that are normally automatic.

Once, I arrived home from work, got out of my car, used my house keys to get inside, looking forward to the weekend ahead. Imagine my feelings when the following Monday morning I found my car unlocked with the key in the ignition, and my house keys in the front door lock, except, the door was not locked.

A lot of these problems are associated with a lack of 'mindfulness'. Basically, anxiety fills your brain with so many things at once, you either end up doing nothing, or doing something but not very well.

I have found practicing mindfulness a great help, and I have now learned to live 'in the moment' and consciously think about what I'm doing at the time rather than thinking what I might or should be doing later.

You may wish to use this site resource or others on the web to learn some of the techniques. In the meantime, please accept my very best wishes and moral support.  :-)

• Posted

Thank you so much Rainboy. These suggestions are really helping me to lean forward and plan day by day instead of worrying about all the things I need to do for the week or month. Thanks
  • Posted

This is so me! I have to write down EVERYTHING! Even when someone tells me something important. I think a lot of it is kind of normal, as my friends are always telling me they go to do something in another room, get there, and can not remember what they were going to do smile I think it is too much on our mind at one time. I am 55, but this has been going on a long time. I also make things, and have piles of material and craft stuff everywhere. Plus the piles of paperwork due to bookkeeping I do for businesses. My GP made a house call with me. I told her sorry about the piles. I am a hoarder. She said it is a symptom of the anxiety. So since then, I have been going through tips on organizing. I will get there someday, I hope LOL You are not alone wink
    • Posted

Thanks. I've also been accused of being a hoarder and I hate it. I am also trying to untangle so I can feel productive. Hopefully we will accomplish and start living outside of the little clutter box in our minds.😉
    • Posted

Oh wow! I'm a hoarder too! Always have been and probably always will be! Almost everything could be useful one day, or could be recycled into something else! No wonder my mind is so cluttlered! It seems to depend what time of the month it is as to how I deal with things. Just finished 4th period in 2 months and my energy levels seem to be rising at last. Yesterday I started work on sorting the conservatory out, whilst enjoying the warmth of the sun - difficult to believe I used to be houseproud and tidy when I had a full time job!

My mother reckons our brains are filing cabinets and they just get more and more full so it takes a lot longer to locate the correct file! My mother in law reckons our minds are computers and get snarled up with too much information - all I know is my mind must need a thorough de-fragging!

My brain can get far too easily distracted - items left behind in wrong rooms are testament to this! Woe betide my husband if he disrupts my train of thought after I have asked if he wants a drink, or pudding, etc - he often goes without because I have forgotten I even asked the question in the first place!!

• Posted

I'm glad to know there's other people like me. I hope you get some of your hoarding straight because I'm trying to work on mine. Good luck
    • Posted

That is kind of funny that we are all kind of kindrid spirits. Sometimes I wish I was OCD, but would drive myself crazy. I agree with the storing so much in our brains. I can organize an office at work in nothing flat, but not at home. 6 kids always needing something, an Autistic daughter that I try to keep up with, and having anxiety and worrying all the time, I am just too wore out to worry about how clean and organized my house is ;

) But I am a germaphobe, so the bathroom, kitchen, and floors are always clean at least.

• Posted

It's just so overwhelming at home that's why we get so flustered. I have 3 kids and the middle child is adhd. Once she starts talking loudly, I become a crushed socket hair robot!!!
    • Posted

Oh Hon, I hear you. It is espeially difficult with a special needs child. Stress feeds anxiety, so mine is non stop. It is better since she is now 19, but still a full time job. I try to find what interests her, and go with it. She loves to sing. So I take her to Karaoke, and all my friends are there. It gives us both a break from home smile I'm here for you if you need to talk!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.