I'm gobsmacked

Posted , 11 users are following.

Went for my checkup, 11 weeks tomorrow. I told him I stopped using my stick, couple of days ago, still have trouble going upstairs, like I can feel the implant. He made me walk up and down, I still have a bit limp but I thought I hadn't, then I had to sit on the bed and he checked leg length, it was ok. Said the x ray was good, never thought to tell him I fell the day after that in hospital., took a pic of it. He got me to stand and do the exercise where you lift your leg out to the side, that was fine, then told me to hold it, I couldn't.

So I have to lie on the bed on my good side and lift and hold the bad side and do it while standing as well.

I had loads of questions but forgot them and I have to go back 3-4 month, got an appointment for 4 month.

I had gone out the room and realised he didn't say I was clear of precautions. I asked the nurse and went back in, he said what precautions, that was it total blank, I said sleeping on back, back to work.Said another 4 -6 weeks off work, go back when I'm ready. I don't know if I'm allowed to drive, lower seating, bending, or what. He did say to continue sleeping on back, I can sleep on my good side as long as I use a pillow between my legs.  As I will probably be back to work before I see him again, I guess I will have to play by ear.

Really wanted to know how to get down on the floor and back up, whether it was needed to have antibiotics before dental treatment, and I can't remember the rest.

So I'm in a bit of a blubby mood tonight and I'm not going to phone work yet, cos I'll just start up again.

Sorry for the long post.

Lynn xx

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Both my husband's surgeon and his dentist told him he would need to have antibiotics for any dental work (even a cleaning) for the next two years. They say it's to prevent infection in the new hip.
    • Posted

Hi Holly

I'm really interested in this - I'm a uk nurse , have worked in orthopaedics and have had 3 hip replacements , one being a revision of an earlier one . I've never heard of people having to have antibiotics post THR in UK and never been advised to myself - and my centre / treatment has been very good in terms of pre and post op information booklets but this is not mentioned. Are you in US ? - it's amazing how approaches are so different in different places - any info you have would be helpful as I intend to ask my consultant about this issue when I next see him - thank you for your post xx

• Posted

Is this the UK Holly?, I guess I will find out tonight, he said he was going to do a clean this next time.
    • Posted

He didn't do it, said it was 50/50 and to check with my doc.He also said it keeps changing.
    • Posted

Oops, sorry. Missed your posts so my answer is delayed. We are in the USA and are ex pat Brits. I have also worked in orthopedics (as an OT) on both sides of the pond and hadn't heard of this until he was given this advice pre op. I did some reading and it's based on AMA/ADA joint guidelines from 2003. Since then some studies have shown that the infection risk is very low but many surgeons and dentists still follow this guidance. The standard is a single dose of antibiotic to be taken 1 hour before a  dental procedure.

As you say there are so many different protocols not only between countries but between surgeons. At the renowned ortho hospital where my husband had his surgery every surgeon had completely different post op protocols. His surgeon was considered "old school" for giving 90 degree precautions since most of the surgeons there no longer gave their patients any hip precautions at all.  Research has shown there is no change in dislocation rate (about 1%) with or without precautions). We have followed the precautions since that's what his surgeon wanted but, knowing that research I was far less vigilant than I would have been years ago.

• Posted

I've just done almost 11 weeks precautions rolleyes oh well, I feel back to normal now anyhow. I think there should be a set of rules that all surgeons should stick too, would be a lot easier lol Is that really the rate for dislocations, (is that uk) it's not very high.
    • Posted

I think (haven't checked) that the 1% dislocation rate is international. However I would say if your surgeon recommends precautions it's wise to follow them to the best of your ability. Knowing the risk is low can just stop you freaking out about it. Although it's only a 1% risk you don't want to be that 1 person that dislocates so a little caution isn't wasted (which I guess is why surgeons still give people precautions).
    • Posted

I think that's so very true Holly - I've got friend who is a doctor who dislocated her own THR at 3 weeks post op because she manoeuvred herself into sitting on a desk edge - was unlucky as it usually takes a fair bit of force to dislocate - her experience of having it manoeuvred back into place under sedation in A and E isn't one I'd want to copy . Also I could be wrong but if you are under insurance and dislocate because you haven't followed restrictions are you still covered ? Xx
    • Posted

I think, that's why I stuck to it, it's done now, back to work next week. I wouldn't want to be that 1% either, oh no no.
    • Posted

I've just been to my hip class and definitely broke the restrictions on the exercise bike.  I pointed out to the ohysio that I was breaking the 90 degree rule and she said if anything was going to pop out it would have done it already.  Quite reassuring.

Xxx

• Posted

That's good to know, must be ok now.

I can bend down to reach my good foot to dry it now, no golf stance, but not quite the other. It feels fine.

• Posted

On an exercise bike Renee.  It was one of those 'sitting back' ones and when I pedalled my knee came up higher than my hip.  Quite a bit higher in fact.  Scary at first but when I realised it didn't hurt I was okay Xxx 
    • Posted

Hey Cels - did you find the bike comfortable - I'd love to go cycling again but bit worried about getting saddle sore / seat pressing on new hip so haven't tried it yet xxx
    • Posted

Not too bad Bini, better than I imagined, even with this lump on my bum biggrin

It didn't seem to press on my new hip at all. Xxx

• Posted

Cool I shall give it a go then ! 🚴🚴🚴🚴

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.