I’m having a 4.8 simple cyst removed post menopausal and I’ve had cramps, and nausea nervous it’s ov

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Gyno has been following a simple cyst for 8 years that has started to grow. I’ve decided to have my ovaries removed but for the past 10 days I’ve had what I thought was a stomach bug but now I’m worried I have ovarian cancer.  I’ve been exposed to relatives who had a bug but they’re better.  It’s making me crazy.  Any one relate?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

8 years?! Is that how long it takes to grow? How can drs possibly miss it then?

Anyway, I doubt it's cancer since cancer grows quickly and your's has been around for quite a while.

Did you have the 125 blood test yet?

• Posted

Thanks for replying.  My dr has been following my cyst for 8 years but it has recently began to grow.  It was a lot smaller 8 years ago.  They usually recommend taking it out when it reaches 5cm. Mine is 4.8.    I’m very nervous about the whole thing. I did get the blood test and will get the results next week.  
    • Posted

Hi 

Is it a dermoid cyst?! They can be very slow growing I recently found out I had 3 large dermoids on my ovary following a scan for something completely different! I had them removed yesterday  I was lucky as I didn't really have any symptoms ( which I think is rare from what I've heard) but I know they can make you feel nauseous etc 

I was very worried about it all too but all seems ok & I feel so much better already! 

When are you due to have your op?! 

• Posted

I'm glad you found us as you're helping us as much as we (hopefully) can help you.

Also, you're very lucky to have such an excellent doctor.

Are they doing keyhole surgery? I had a ln 11 cm cyst and one ovary removed with keyhole in October and everything went really well. I was back to myself within a couple days.

• Posted

My op is in a month.  I just woke up this morning still nauseous and my stomach is achy.  I’m on a bland diet and have been feeling like this for over 10 days.  I’ve taken pepto Bismal and thought I felt a smidge better yesterday.  I stayed home all day and rested.   My GP called yesterday to see how I was feeling and said to stay on the bland diet and if I don’t feel better to come in Wednesday.  My family had stomach bug but they were better in 4 days.  I had this before they got sick.  Not sure if it’s cyst related or not.   Dr called it a simple cyst.  
    • Posted

I’m having laparoscopic.  Three small incisions on an outpatient basis.   I am nervous but it sounds like you are doing well.   How long did it take and was recovery painful?   Was it a simple cyst?  Are you postmenapausal?   I think feeling like I do now is just adding stress to the situation.   I’m expecting company in a week with plans set and things to do I want to feel better and enjoy myself.  Now I find myself constantly worrying about what’s making me feel like this.  Constantly thinking negative.  Sorry just venting.  
    • Posted

Well, if it's keyhole then don't worry. If they were cutting you open , it would be a whole different matter. I was actually looking forward to surgery since the cyst was really starting to hurt my hips and back. So I just wanted it out since I was sick of looking obese!

I'm not post-meno yet. I actually just got my period last week after 7 months.

Anyway, it only took 2 hours and it seemed like 3 minutes. Lol. I left about 30 minutes afterward. I was walking around like nothing happened. Sure, I had a bit of trouble bending over and taking a shower but that was it. I think I went grocery shopping the next day. Lol. Please don't worry. It's extremely minimally invasive and you can enjoy your visitors without worry. Everything will be fine.

• Posted

I'm still in hospital as I had open surgery yesterday but doing well & should be home tomorrow :-) 

Reading though these messages it looks like you're having key hole surgery which will be a much quicker recovery time for you 

It's a worrying time though whatever you have done 

Keep us posted & I'm sure you'll feel much better once it's all done xx

• Posted

Fell better and thanks for taking the time to comment.  
    • Posted

Thanks I’m not going to worry.  I’m just hoping my stomach feels good for my company.   I think getting the cyst out was the right decision.  All of you ladies have been so helpful and supportive.  
  • Posted

Glad your doing well.  
  • Posted

Having second thoughts after reading how much pain some women were in after laparoscopic surgery. My Gyno initially did say ok we’ll check it in 3 months but I was the one who asked what she though I should do.  Now I’m feeling I should just keep monitoring. I’m in my 60s and I’ve been having a gastrointestinal issue(I think) and I’m not so sure I want to have this done. My Ca125 is normal.  I got a second opinion and she said it has grown just a little or it could be the same just a measurement issue but she thinks surgery is fine if I’m going to have it.    I feel like maybe I should clear up my stomach issue and just continue my monitoring.  Any thoughts would be helpful because I’m really stressing myself out.  Don’t know what to do.  Help!
  • Posted

Hi Jerseygirl,

I had more pain WITH the cyst than from the surgery. I wish the doctors found mine much earlier when it was much smaller.

It will just grow bigger and more painful and you may need a full long incision through your muscles, flesh and abdominal wall later which will be 100 times more painful than the minimal 1 cm incisions of keyhole surgery.

With all due respect, the women complaining about keyhole may not have had very good surgeons because I walked out within an hour of surgery and was up and about grocery shopping, etc., the next day.

Do the keyhole. You'll regret it if you don't now.

• Posted

Thanks Lisa. This will be my first surgery and I’m freaking out. I just put in a call to speak with my doctor.  I just want to be sure but she probably will say we can continue to monitor in three months but just take it out.  It’s ovaries and tubes. I do get what you’re saying. My husband is pushing me to get it done and be done.  

Being post menapausal I am at greater risk of it turning and that’s what scary.  My fear was of going under and now I fear the recovery pain.  So confused.  

• Posted

Hi x

i can obviously only speak from personal experience but I'm now a week on from my open surgery & am feeling fine! Ok a bit sore but I'm recovering well & just taking things slowly. I'm much more mobile now & am much better than I thought I'd be!

i know others may not be as lucky but I had an 11cm & 7 cm cysts on my ovaries so had them both removed during my op.

i had never had anything done before & it really scared me but to be honest as the tine got nearer & I'd taken it all on board I was calmer & ready to face it all.

Neither the surgery or recovery have been as bad as I imagined obviously I'm happy it"s all over now but wanted to share my story as hope it will give you & maybe others some comfort xx

i've got my follow up next week & barring any problems ( which I'm not expecting) I should continue getting better every day, they said a good 2-4 weeks so I've planned 6 to give me a bit more time to get back to work I worried so much before but can honestly say I needn't have, so even if you end up having open surgery it's not so bad so long as you're prepared & can rest up after x

Keep me posted & Good Luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.