I'm having my TKR in 2 weeks time.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am having a spinal block and sedation and am very anxious about the whole procedure. How can I get through the next 2 weeks without constant anxiety and apprehension?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had my surgery on 3/21 with sedation and spinal.  Easy Peasy...  They will give you something, I had Versed, in the preop room and in the OR they will give you something in your IV and you will hear NOTHING.  I stupidly youtubed the procedure, DON'T, so my fear was being able to hear.  The surgeon was adamant that I would not hear or feel anything.  The surgeon certainly doesn't want a patient that freaks in the middle of the procedure.  By the time I got to the OR I was so smooth they could have done anything to me and I would not have cared.  So fear not.
  • Posted

I had this and like you I was so worried.  I needn't have been.   Everything was fine.  You won't feel a thing and they will make sure you won't know anything about it if that is what you want.  I didn't want to hear snatching and they make sure you will be ok.  Try not to worry.   Best of luck to you xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your support and encouragement. It sure has helped. X
  • Posted

Hi nuala

I had mine in Jan. I explained my fears and I was totally out of it. Knew nothing until it was compete. You have absolutely nothing to worry about honestly.

Keep us informed and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Nuala!

First of all, I was SO SICK OF BEING IN PAIN! I just wanted to give myself a chance to feel better. I knew a TKR (eventually TWO of them!) was my only recourse. That being said, I just tried to think about my future without pain.

I prayed A LOT and asked God to give me strength and to help me be calm. I actually put all of my cares in His keeping.

The up side of getting oneself in a calm frame of mind is that you start the endorphins to flow through you. Endorphins help alleviate pain and things seem much less scary.

I tried to also think about all of the things I would eventually be able to do again once I began to heal.

Worry really doesn't help, and it drives up blood pressure and can make a person nauseated. I was DETERMINED to go in like a WARRIOR and succeed. Doing some deep breaths in and long breaths out will increase your oxygen levels and also help you feel calmer.

I will pray that you will feel calm and strength and peace as you begin your journey to wellness.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your very reassuring comments. You have no idea how much they have eased my anxiety somewhat. Hope you are all recovering well. Will keep you posted when it's over 😂
  • Posted

Spinal and sedation is the way to go, based on what I was told. Immediate post-op recovery is much quicker and fewer complications than with general.  I had spinal and sedation and it was a complete breeze, never felt a thing.
  • Posted

I had a spinal and sedation in February and everything went fine. Didn't feel, see or hear anything.

Please don't worry - you will be fine!biggrin

• Posted

I had my TKR by the same method, so easy no pain and no nasty after effects. Numb for 24 hrs then normal. Recommend it.
  • Posted

Hi Nuala

I too was worried but it was no bother. Had spinal, no prob, then took into theatre and had my IPod in my ears but by the time I switched it on ( to drown out the noise of course!) I was away out of it with the sedation, no probs. 

You too will be fine, don't worry! 😊

• Posted

Nuala, I was petrified! But then I told myself that I'm not the first one to have it, so I'm sure if others came through then I would too... And now on May 4 I'm doing it again, and I feel so much better about it. I was sedated and drifting in and out.  and as soon as they realized it, I went quickly back to sleep. It's amazing really what they can do. That's the least of your worries. No need to worry about that part. I wish you all the best and we'll be recovering the same time. 
    • Posted

Sorry for late reply Anne. Thanks for your good advice but I'm still petrified Anyway doing my exercises and rearranging house ie no rugs dangling wires. I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks. Hope and pray that you will have a good outcome too. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.