I'm just wondering... Glandular Fever Symptoms

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am (usually) a fit 29 yr old woman who is very active.

I have been suffering from GF since April and only had blood tests done about a week ago as I broke down to my Dr and said I was sick of being sick as its now July. I had a Full Blood Count, EBV and STD & I got my results back. Everything was fine except for 1 - the EBV. This is the worst I've ever felt, hence why I wanted to be tested for every thing.

My symptoms include:

Sore throat

Tight neck

Pain behind ears

Overwhelming and extreme tiredness.

Headaches

On an off I get these symptoms:

Pins and Needles in arms hands and feet.

Sore neck.

Sore back between shoulder pains.

Aching hips.

Now I am having chest pain, is this common?

I haven't read anything about chest, back or aching hips and I am hoping I'm not suffering from anything else?

Any more advice from anyone or if any one has different like me can you please respond so I can set my mind at ease and stop thinking I have something else more serious? It will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow what is going on in Australia!

I am a 35yr old women from Sydney. My story is a long one. So hear it goes. Late Sept last year I had a virus Dr said the flu, followed by a nasty sinus infection and then a sore swollen thyroid all within weeks of each other. I had been feeling unwell ever since and by December had what I can only describe as a mental breakdown. I have never been a depressed or anxious person but by January my anxiety was through the roof. My dr just kept saying i was stressed by the 4th time i went back i had Anxiety and depression even though on the previous visits he insisted that i wasnt the type to have these conditions. I demanded blood tests which showed high thyroid free t4 levels and high white cell count. Just sent me off with antibiotics and told me i should think about antidepressants and yelled at me what is in your head! I kept saying my health! I would fall asleep when i knew i had appointments my body and joints would ache strange pains in my head felt like i was always getting a cold pain in my kidney area and under my left rib cage. Worst of all i had a dry mouth white tongue and burning tongue. I decided to try another dr who just wanted to put me on antidepressants although he did repeat the blood tests with the same findings. Changed drs again did all blood test again which also showed my liver function was out and did hormone tests that showed I had no estrogen. It was this dr that decided to test for EBV and 6 months later i finally have a diagnosis. It had been active for 9 months according to the tests and he believes that every symptom i have had had been caused by glandular fever including the secondary infection of thyroiditis which was what was causing my insomnia anxiety intolerance to heat as well as many more. I get the impression that if i had of known and rested it wouldnt have got this bad but i didnt know so kept pushing myself working full time and running around after the kids and fam as usual. i do feel better knowing there is something wrong and im not losing my mind. Wishing you all full recoveries.

• Posted

Wow Brooke, thanks so much for sharing your story! I can relate so much to what you're saying and have been through anxiety hell with this virus although my blood work has been normal except for the virus detection and white blood count being off right at the beginning.

How are you doing now physically and mentally? Do you feel less anxious now that your thyroid is ok?

• Posted

Hi Aquin

Most of the time ive been coping pretty well. This last week ive felt exhausted after a some pretty long hours at work. Hoping it will pass if i listen to my body and rest a bit. I am pretty sure the worst of it is over just some fatigue and muscle aches especially in my legs. Its a crazy ride and one ill be quite happy to see the end of.

• Posted

Brooke, thanks for sharing your story.  It helps me when I read about others who are struggling with the same symptoms I have.  It is a comfort to know that we are not making up these aches and pains!  I was diagnosed with mono (GF) then end of December 2015.  I was at my doctor for another problem and I told him how horrible I felt.  He looked down my throat and said "your throat looks like a pediatric throat-all red with puss pockets and huge swollen glands". I am fortunate that EBV was one of the things he tested me for.  I have been at home resting since then.

I also had an increase in liver function test--back to normal now.  And I have had mysterious abdominal pain under my rib cage also--that has resolved also.

I am interested in your symptoms for thyroiditis--what are you symptoms? And did the lab test show high or low thyroid?

I am 61 years old in the USA.

Gerbear

• Posted

Hi Brooke, it's good to finally see someone that share the intolerance to heat, do you have any idea what the cause is and how to treat it? Well, basically how to treat GF overall?

• Posted

Hi there,

Hope you are well now. Do youind me asking what your igg levels were mine over 300. But I don't have an active virus but still feeling bad.

Thanks

• Posted

*UPDATE*

I think I am having a relapse..

The last week I've had the tightest neck and my friend who is a nurse felt my glands today and said they are up a little, my arms are feeling so legthargic and weak and my armpits feel (but don't look) huge. I'm also extremely itchy in my armpits (wtffff)

Has anyone experienced this, I thought I was coming through it only to have these symptoms now: I am so over it.

sad

• Posted

Hi how are you getting on now? I've recently been diagnosed with GF for 5 weeks now! My symptoms are

Swollen glands (gone down now)

Stiff neck

Bad back

Itchy armpits

Itchy scalp

Nausea

Headaches

Pins and needles 

TIREDNESS

Anxiety 

Sore shoulders 

😫

• Posted

Hi Rosanna

Sorry to hear you have GF as I know the struggle you are going through. I've had all the symptoms and more that you listed (except the itchy scalp). 

It took me a good year to start feeling better and some days I still get my extreme tiredness, I have become that sleepy girl. I don't go to the gym as much as I used to either and it really gets me down. Anxiety still come in an out as well. 

All I can say is rest rest rest, drink heaps of water and eat healthy. I cut out dairy and don't eat sugar at all these days and that has seemed to help. I also take vitamins and immunity boosters. 

I hope you're okay. Please message at any time. You are not alone ??

• Posted

Hey  Rosanna, 

I'm having some of the same symptoms how are you feeling? Any word on the cause of the.  Twitching neck and back pain ?

• Posted

Oh it's got worse!!! Now horrific pelvic pain! Legs pains arms pains! I'm on week 8 and now have the flu! So anxious can't even deal with life at the moment! How are you? Xx

• Posted

It's crazy like my back,and neck hurt. Somtimes it's hard  to sleep because of cold sweats and chills. And major twitching. I have Extreme anxiety and I'm tired of being depress nobody seems to understand me. But you guys and girls😌.

• Posted

Hi Daeon,

​Honestly the depression and anxiety are some of the worst symptoms other than nausea and muscle aches, The hard part about this is you will look healthy to most people, you cannot possibly explain to people how bad it makes you feel. Craig and the other people on this forum are what got me through the worst of times, It helps to know you are not alone in this.

• Posted

Daeon I understand you! I have night sweats and wake up cold and wet. It is terrible and scary. I have had bad back pain too, to the point I thought it was meningitis LOL. The anxiety and stress of dealing with this, of being weak and in pain, of not being yourself really takes a toll on you mentally. You aren’t crazy, my friend. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.