I’m losing words - am I losing my mind?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Recently I literally can’t find the word for something when I need it. Obvious day to day objects, people’s names, places.  

I’ve come across brain fog and memory gaps in some symptoms, but I feel really clear headed when it happens. 

Is this normal? 

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , yes I'm the same I forget ppls names, go into a room and forget why I went in there but the strangest thing I have had was 2 weeks ago I was on my cycle (not sure if this was to do with it) but was chatting to my partner(thank God it was just him) and my words came out all jumbled up for a few days on and off my friend said I should mention it to doc.

• Posted

Happens to me so often now! The simplest word will slip my mind. It is very frustrating!! Hoping it's just a peri symptom and I'm not actually having early dementia at 48!

• Posted

This started with me mid-40s.  Now, mid 50s,it's not any better but not any worse so I don't think it's dementia!  Having said that, I doubt my other half would agree, he's often to be heard referring to me as The Crazy Lady lol

• Posted

Thanks all so much.  I do now (depressingly) feel very ‘normal’ and will stop worrying that I have early on-set dementia!  I am only 50 and really have very few of the obvious symptoms that people always talk about.  Just a lot of weird little things that just mean I don’t feel like me anymore.  

I’m trying to relax & go with it. It’s a phase and it will pass. But I do need to be able to function & do my job!!  

Thanks again.  So glad I found this forum! 

• Posted

Instruction to son this morning..."Put your...ermm...stuff in the...whatsitcalled".  What I ACTUALLY meant to say was to put his clothes in the washing machine.  rolleyes 

• Posted

Oh yes, I sometimes feel as if the word I want is part of a jigsaw, and someone has just tipped it on the floor of my brain, so I scramble around trying to find it.  I was so anxious about it fearing it might have been the start of Alzheimer's, which does nothing for your already over tired under rested brain, but now, I just take a deep breath, and find away to remember the word, as others say, by thinking around it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.