I'm on lyrica for phn. Does anyone experience anxiety or depression from this?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have nerve pain for 4 months now from shingles. I get so tired is this normal?Lyrica somewhat works but I have bouts of anxiety.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I stayed on it for 3 weeks. Caused my hands to swell, flatulence really bad in the morning and all I wanted to do was sleep. It did causee depression and just couldn't take anymore. Wasn't really working so just stoopen taking. Glad that I didon't. Not worth it when not really working

• Posted

Hi Ingrid,

I've been on Lyrica for about 4 years now. It took about 4 or 5 months before the effects outweighed the side-effects. I've had PHN for over 5 years and have tried lots of different drugs but this seems to be the most effective for me. I also have had some benefit from topical treatments, most notably capsaicin patches applied at a pain clinic. I did find lidocaine patches helped, but I developed an allergy to it. 

Discuss the side-effects with your doctor because it may be that something else might be better, or they may feel you will improve soon. 

I hope you feel less tired soon.

• Posted

Ingrid,

I've been on Lyrica for almost 2 years now. Tried switching to Neurotin for awhile but Neurotin made me so sleepy. Lyrica made me dizzy at first but I adjusted to it quickly. I'm on the highest dose twice daily currently. The virus itself and chronic pain are what wear a person out. My anxiety has been considerably higher since my PHN began. It's hard to know if that's a side affect from meds or just the virus and chronic pain that's doing that. I've increased my Venlafaxine to combat the depression and anxiety. Anymore I feel like the childhood hood fable "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" ! I'm sure you know what I mean by this. Your constantly either adding meds or trying certain things to chase after the last thing if it didn't work.

Best of luck to you! Finding what works for you can be a challenge. Right now I'm working on pain therapy. Learning to accept the pain as part of me and living my life the best I can despite the pain.

Take care!

Lainy

• Posted

Ingrid,

I have had pain for 14 months; used all the drug treatments including Lyrica. I have to work every day and found that dealing with the pain is better than all the side effects. Neurologist said treatments were all wrong and put me on Baclofin, which is a muscle relaxant, felt like I was being turned into jello and no effect on the pain; quit that also. Wish I had better news for you but I found the drug treatments to be not very effective and loaded with side effects which I concluded worse than the pain.

• Posted

Agree. My doctor gave me lyrica and gabapentin first, and I didn't like the side effects of Lyrica (anxiety, depression...). My neurologist gave me baclofen and I hate it. I can't function like you said. I now only on Gabapentin and Cabarmezepin for my TN.

• Posted

I too was prescribed Baclofen to replace the Diazepam (Valium). Did nothing for me. However, the Diazepam works very well to calm the pain but is a highly addictive drug so I took myself off of that and now I don't use either. I am managing my pain with opiates and gabapentin. Have titrated down on numerous occasions because I do not want to take the drugs but I cannot tolerate the pain😫. If it was a small area that was affected I think I could manage it but it encompasses my entire torso from the breastbone down and around. The side effects of the opiates render me useless but until doctors find something that works I'm stuck. We are all suffering the same fate but if we will keep sharing any new ideas or treatment maybe we can find more relief. Keep the faith all.

• Posted

Hi Ingrid,

I looked up side effects of Lyrica on drugs.com.  Fatigue is a common side effect.  I did not see anxiety as a common side effect, and did not hear reports of anxiety with Lyrica when I was working as a psychologist. 

Lyrica was developed as an anti-seizure drug, but is typically used to control nerve pain instead.  Neurontin is an older medication that was also developed as an anti-seizure drug, but also is typically used now to control nerve pain.  The doc I worked with in a medical rehab unit in a hospital liked Neurontin better than Lyrica.  He said he saw fewer side effects with Neurontin.  It's also a lot cheaper, being available as a generic drug. 

I've not been on either of them, but my pain patients generally liked Neurontin.  I think I did hear more complaints about Lyrica.  You might ask your doc about Neurontin if you think you'd like to try something different. 

• Posted

That's interesting Charlie.

I was started off on Neurontin and moved to Lyrica because there were fewer side-effects! My doctor said he always tried Neurontin first as it worked in a similar way but was cheaper. He said Lyrica was developed to eradicate the side effects. It's all a matter of luck as to what helps!

• Posted

Charlie, I agree with you on the Lyrica. I tried it but could not adjust to the side effects. I've been using the Gabapentin for years, have suffered no ill affects and it is somewhat helpful.

• Posted

Yes. I don't like Lyrica. Did you ask your doctor for Carbapentin? It should help your shingles.

• Posted

Thao,

What is Carbapentin? Not heard of that med. Did you mean Gabapentin? I'm always interested in new meds, treatments, etc. if only just to research and not try myself. Thanks for info!

• Posted

I'm sorry. It is Gabapentin. In my case, I also have TN, I am on Cabarmezepin and Gabapentin.

• Posted

Lyrica and Gabapentin, to the layperson, are quite similar and work in similar ways in the body. I'm on Gab, the pharmacist suggested switching to Lyrica, as she felt there could be fewer side effects. I felt better the devil I knew, so didn't. Some people tolerate one better, some the other. I'm on my 6th month of PHN, so I literally feel you pain. I'm not nearly as tired as I was before I got used to the drug. These drugs do affect your moods. For me, I have less anxiety but more depression, but again, there are a broad range of side effects, some which seem to contradict themselves.

Some people actually have trouble sleeping with them, but usually there's more drowsiness, fatigue and confusion. Do yo know if you're on a high or lower dose? I can't comment specifically as I'm more familar with the dosing of Gab.

You may want to read the side-effects of the drug, just to get more informed. You may have few or many of them, but I find it helpful to blame it on the drug! Seriously, I just make a joke about my Gab brain and yes, I also gained weight. However, it DOES help with my pain and in my 6th month I see a vast improvement from my 4th month. I hope you do too. There can be improvement from where you are, but if there is it is often very gradual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.