I'm plagued, are daily antibiotics worth it?

Posted , 13 users are following.

A couple of months ago I started a discussion regarding relief from a UTI that I was suffering from in that current moment. I got all sorts of suggestions and recommendations but I decided to give D-mannos a try. For 5 months I hadn't had a single infection (which is weird for me, I usually get them every 2-3 months) especially now I'm living with my partner, we're having sex almost very day I thought for sure my infections would increase, it seemed D-mannose was my all time cure.

I went for two Renal scans in the time without infections and no underlying issues were found.

unfortunately today I have found myself once again stuck on the toliet in agony from a full blown infection.

last time I checked in with my doctor they assured me after my next infection they would get me on a daily dose antibiotic.

Are they worth it?

I would rather not due to the common fear of growing resistant but at this point after realizing the cure I thought would beat it didn't, I'm all out of options. I'm a university student and i cannot afford to be stuck at home with infections at this important time. I have deadlines that I'm risking due to being in so much pain.

all opinions and experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So it seems u have a fear that the antibiotics will stop working. So I actually have had an Infection that was antibiotic resistant. It is very scary but there is a last resort depending on the bacteria. It sounds like you have a re occurant infection but it's not the same infection. It could just be the same bacteria u beat it once and it's back. That's a possibility then you have no worries about antibiotic resistance because it's a different bacteria. The issue is when u dont clear the Infection AND stop taking antibiotics. But then there's always phage therapy but that's expensive.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

my doctor always makes it out like the daily dose antibiotic is my last resort, if that doesn't work nothing will. I guess this also stems my fear.

I've had these ongoing infections for a good 14 years, the one dose antibiotic always seems to clear it so I never even consider strains or same bacteria, I am always put on macrobid but weirdly that has recently made me sick.

I guess all I can do is leave it to the professionals!

• Posted

You may see holistic doctor rather than traditional medical professionals.

• Posted

Do they know which bacteria is causing (if any) the problems?

You use the word infection as if they have confirmed that there were indeed bacteria present.

I would never take an antibiotic without an antibiogram - once the bacteria is isolated they do a sensibility test to see which antibiotics the bacteria isn't resistant to.

I had E. coli and the doctor gave me a single dose of an antibiotic that was indicated on the antibiogram, but it didn't work because it was a single dose!

So I learned that, at least in my case, daily antibiotics were better.

Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi,

I also have E. coli, they usually place me on a single dose of macrobid which in theory usually clears the infection completely or has done so in the past.

When I went for my Renal scan the doctor informed me it was noted that on both my scans there was urine still present in my bladder even after I felt I had completely relieved myself and this is why I commonly got recurrent infection as the bacteria wasn't completely flushed.

since then I have been very very careful to stay that extra minute on the toliet but from what people are saying on some forums, E.coli is incredibly resilient and only d-mannose can completely break down the bacteria from the bladder walls?

I don't particularly want to go on antibiotics but I'm so miserable and I feel probiotics just wont cut it.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your suffering from another infection. D-Mannose can actually treat an active infection, I take 3 capsules 4 times a day when treating an infection and it works for me. Perhaps the increase in sexual intercourse meant your preventative dose wasn't quite cutting it? I would give the D-Mannose another try before starting daily antibiotics.

• Posted

Can it actually treat it?

since I started taking it 5 months ago I've not had a single infection, I've had urges and slight twinges but I've taken the pills and it passed, this is my first time with an actual infection. I've upped my dose to your recommendation, I felt better this morning but it seems to have come back with a vengeance. I will continue taking it but if it hasn't passed my tomorrow I will have to go see my GP, I have important deadlines I'm jeopardizing 😦

thank-you for the advice!

• Posted

Yes it works for me, in fact it cleared up an infection that three lots of antibiotics couldn't get rid of. I usually start feeling better after 3 or 4 days.

• Posted

Hi Bethany, I'm also in the UK. Did your doctors ever tell you which bug exactly was causing your infection? It's important to know, although if D mannose kept it under control for a while it was probably e.coli.

E.coli forms colonies in your bladder that create their own protective covering called a bio-film This makes it just about impossible for an antibiotic to get to the bugs but D mannose actually breaks down the bio-film. If you swot up on how it works you'll get a better idea but I think the principle is that it takes a few months for it to work. You also need to make sure the E.coli is flushed out of the bladder which is where the cranberry comes in as this prevents the bugs clinging to the bladder walls.

The idea of a daily antibiotic is worrying as it will kill of all your bacteria, the good along with the bad. Episodes of thrush usually follow on from a course of bacteria as the good guys that keep the thrush under control have been wiped out along with the bad guys - so thrush has a nice clear environment to get well established! I had this problem repeatedly in the 70s although my doctor said it was nonsense. They still haven't really cottoned on to the idea of taking probiotics along with antibiotics 40 years later!

I have always advocated keeping antibiotic use to the absolute minimum. You need all your good bacteria so do what you can to encourage them with daily probiotics and nutritious food - also swot up on how to keep your gut bacteria healthy. I agree with the ideas and items suggested by Layna, so worth a try.

Also, don't forget to have your partner checked out - no point you getting rid of something if he will then just give it straight back to you. Good luck.

• Posted

That is also my concern with going on a daily antibiotic, I am prone to Thrush aswell as UTI's, I fear that the power of the antibiotics will completely compromise my system and improve one problem but deteriorate another. With the good bacteria eradicated from my system due to antibiotics my body will be vulnerable.

I have purchased all the recommendations from Layna but I'm looking for a bit of a fix asap, I still have what I'm assuming is an 'infection' based on my knowledge and experience of having them, and a more consistent dose of D-mannose doesn't seem to be cutting it, my symptoms improve momentarily but then will return a few hours later and I will be toliet bound, like I said as a student who also works weekends to pay bills I cannot really be affording to wait for all these items to be shipped as it may take over a week. I may just have to get a single dose of antibiotics this time and hope once all the probiotics arrive I can begin working on myself to completely be rid of the bacteria naturally.

• Posted

D Mannose can take a few weeks to months to clear E.coli bioflims. You say your doctor has given you a single dose of Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) in the past so this might be the way to go to give you relief in the short term. Then keep on with the D. Mannose and also have some cranberry juice daily to prevent any bugs that are 'free floating from clinging to your bladder wall. The strengths of Cranberry juice vary from 10% (most supermarket own brands) through 27% (the brand leader plus a well known German supermarket) right up to 100% (expensive!) so maybe don't go for the 10% sort.

Hopefully by clearing the decks initially then keeping them clear with the supplements along with the probiotics you'll see some progress. Don't forget about getting your partner checked out though - there's no point in you struggling to get rid of it if it's then passed back to you.

• Posted

Tread carefully here, you could be between a rock and a hard place.

First point .. repeat UTIs are often caused by compressed Cauda Equina Nerves....the noble profession usually opts to treat the UTI which is the effect of the problem, rather than the compressed nerve which is the cause.

Q. Have you been checked for urine retention? Do you have to self catheterise to prevent repeat UTIs?If you are getting repeat UTIs this is important, especially if the cause is non-obstructive.

Is the daily antibiotic for prophylactic purposes? i.e. To prevent further infection. If so, you need to consider antibiotic resistance and whether the idea is sane as you will ultimately encounter it.

In terms of options - and if the problem continues you might want to consider SNS as an alternative.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.