I'M SCARED

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 28 years old. ex smoker for 7 years and stop smoking 3 years ago. I'm so scared that i may have this scary disease. I have no cough but i clear my throat always. I have a phlegm for 5 years now always spit it every single day. Sometimes i feel so tired that i feel my upper back has so much weight. This past 7 days i experienced middle back pain and also when i press my upper right chest i feel the pain in my back this happens when my brother and i out wrestled me in a fight. I consult to a doctor and he said my chest x ray is normal and the phlegm is from the back of the head caused by ALLERGIC RHINITIS and the pain in my back is just a bone and muscle pain. He told me to drink NORGESIC. and it seems that it is working. I feel less pain in my back now but still i'm scared that in those 7 years i may develop lung cancer. What are the chances?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You seem very young for lung cancer , most are diagnogned in the 50s and 60s , your doctor is probably right but if you still worry go for a MRI with contrast ,it's a very detailed image of your lungs.

• Posted

hi just do the test to be able to relax. im not doctor so i dont know the chances...but...my dad had lung cancer and hes doing fine. dont worry. do the test to be on the safe side.
  • Posted

I would say your chances of having lung cancer based purely on excessive phlegm and back pain is a bit of a stretch. There are so many things that can cause both. Post-Nasal drip being the most common for excessive phlegm. You could also have either GERD or LPR which can trigger both of these symptoms. 

If you aren't:

1. So tired you want to stay in bed all day.

2. Coughing up blood

3. Have no swollen lymph nodes after the 3 year period

You are probably fine and either dealing with a very minor condition causing both issues, or do indeed have what the doctor said. 

A clear chest xray is a pretty good indication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.