I’m scared I’ll never be pain free again. How to think more positively?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know my case might not be as severe as some of yours out there, but I’m worried and anxious and sad right now so I’m gonna tell my story.

I’m a 22-year-old female living in the UK. My knee pain (both my knees) started in 2013. I had been doing intense cardio exercises for 4 months or before, all of a sudden, my pain started during my cardio session. The pain was so bad I had to stop. I remember the next day I walked to school and the pain was so bad I could barely walk and I was in tears. I went to my doctor and he said I “stretched “ my MCLs and recommended rest and a gel that was supposed to help with the pain and reduce inflammation. My knees weren’t swollen or anything and I could bend them normally, just that they were very sore. The pain went away in 2-3 weeks.

In 2014 I started working out again (squats and lunges with no weights this time), but after the second session  the pain started again. Went to see an orthopaedist, he took an X-ray , everything was normal and he said I was suffering from Osgood-Schlatter Disease. The pain went away in 2 or 3 weeks again with rest.

Less than a month ago I was really determined to start working out again so I tried to do a few simple leg exercises and I noticed my knees were a tiny bit sore. I decided to see a physio and after a long conversation she said I have Patellofemoral pain syndrome. We did a few shoulder bridges and stuff like that to see what hurts and what doesn’t and the session left me in pain, but only like 3/10 pain. 

When I got home I did a few leg extensions and my knees started hurting even more. The next day I had to go to work (my job is really physical, I work at McDonald’s) and by the end of my shift I was in agony. I had worked here for more than a year and never had knee pain before doing those exercises. 

I had to take time off from work, but I went back after 5 days like an idiot. I don’t know if I made it worse or not, the pain is always there even when I rest,

Naproxen does help a, but it doesn’t remove the pain completely. I had to stop taking it because it gave me acid reflux. Tomorrow is my last day of work and after that I’m gonna be off for at least 2 weeks. I also have another appointment with my doctor tomorrow. He hasn’t been of much help tbh, he told me not to go to work if I felt like it was too much. Ordered another X-ray which was fine, I want to ask him  tomorrow’ to refer me to an MRI. He also recommended me to get a blood test which I haven’t yet because I have the worst blood phobia ever.

now I’m scared that my pain won’t go away like it used to do in the past because I went back to work while I was still in pain.

i get pain on the right and left side of patella, under it especially when walking and sometimes behind the knee cap.

My left knee also feels very tight or something like that, it’s hard to explain, when I’m in bed, resting. It’s a weird sensation. I sometimes get pain in my quads and down to my feet as well which I don’t know if I used to in the past as it was a few years ago and I don’t really remember.

i know I might sound dramatic but I’m really scared I won’t be able to enjoy the rest of my life cause of this knee problem. There’s a concert on the 13th to which my friends are going but I don’t know if I should go I’m so scared that every move is gonna make it worse, I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to be in bed all day or not. I can’t afford to go back to physio either.

Just looking for support and people with similar experiences. Sorry if this was hard to read. English is not my first language and grammar is not really my thing either.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marie, sorry that you are not having the best of times with your knees. I am 9 wks post TKR Right knee and I find Naproxin good but you must have Omeprazol as well to protect the lining of your stomach. One should not be given with out the other. It's the same with all inflammatory's. Do not stay in bed, that will result in your knee becoming stiff and that will just make matters worse. If you are not happy with your GP then you have the right to go and see another one for a second opinion With regard to having blood taken you can have a cream put onto your skin about 15 minutes before you have the procedure to take the pain away. It is very important that you have the test as it can highlight if there is a problem like inflammation etc. Good luck with that and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words! He gave me something to protect my stomach so I can keep taking Naproxen. I’ll have a blood test on Thursday next week so wish me luck. I’ll be back with updates.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.