I'm sick of me

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started last nov, meds since feb/mar, all is a blurr and now still on 50mcg levo I must say I do have moments with more energy ... speed (palpitations, panic attacks, insomnia), and most days I continue to feel exhausted. I wake each day now depressed. I end each day depressed. I have 3 small kids who are my world. I am still on sick leave from work. This is not me.

Can anybody tell me if Levothyroxine can make depression happen or is it low thyroid symptoms?

I cannot continue like this. My endo appt is 3 may but so far I am not impressed. Saw him first time last Feb after aĺl tests and scans done.

With thyroid should it not be more normal to see endo every 6wks - 2 mths?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Mary sorry you are feeling so bad just now. Sometimes it takes a while to sort out the right level of meds for thyroid problems. Tell your consultant how bad you feel and you are having panic attacks etc.. Although I am usually quite an anxious person the last year has been bad with anxiety. My thyroid levels are so up and down and are at least partly to blame for the way I feel I'm sure. The quicker you get your medication sorted the better. Not sure about your app, depends where you stay. I went to my consultant quite alot as I ended up getting the iodine treatment. I was getting my bloods taken every 8 to 12 weeks for a while as my levels were so up and down. I also feel so tired alot of the time. Definitely let the Dr know all your symptoms and hopefully they can get it sorted out. Good luck.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Ask if you can adjust your dose based on how you feel. An example would be 25mg during the week with a boost at 50mg on the weekends. See if your doc will work with you until you get the correct dosage.
  • Posted

My doctor said stay on it (Levo) or get off it all together.  I got off it all together until I started feeling really bad (Only do this if he/she says you can!) . Then I did a gradual increase cutting the 25mcg into 4 pieces. Taking a quarter each day. Took that dose for two weeks, still felt low. Then I incrreased to half a pill for another 2 weeks, and finaly went to a full 25mcg after that. Did blood work was still low, went to 50mcg for about 3 weeks now,  and so far I feel fine. Maybe you just need a gradual increase to allow your body to adjust. Ask if you can do this, It sure worked for me.... Check with your doc. BEFORE you try this. I also take between 3 am and 5 am in the morning.
    • Posted

Hi Rick I just wondered why you took levo between  3am and 5am? Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

I like to give it about 4 hours before breakfast. Then I can take my vitamins with breakfast without having to wait. You are  suppose to wait 4 hours if you take supplements, or on a high fiber diet.
    • Posted

Wow! Never heard that! I'm just now learning I shouldn't take calcium with many of the other drugs I'm on, geez, wish doctors would tells us this stuff. Interesting Rick.

Gosh that sounds bad, I've never taken any other drugs other than Levo, but now have PMR, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, so Rheumy has me on Prednisone and two RA drugs, all of which I'm hoping to get off with in the next 6+ months!!! But I wonder if they would have taken more effect if I hadn't taken with my supplements. I had never taken supplements before either, til now. 

• Posted

Mind my asking what meds you take that should not take calcium with?

I am taking calcium myself and feel terrible over the past few days .

• Posted

Like Rick, I'm going to start putting space between supplements and drugs. 

I was told to now take 1200 mg calcium. But a nurse told me to only take 600 in morning, then afternoon 600. So now, I take first 1/2 with lunch, the. Other half after dinner and RA drugs, rheumatoid arthritis, although I don't think I have that...

Sometimes you really have to research the drug you are on to see if calcium affects absorption of it. 

• Posted

Layne I know.

Where are you?

The mod keeps deleting links giving info about drugs. 

• Posted

Calcium

Recommended 

Dietary Allowance (mg/day)

Vitamin D

Recommended 

Dietary Allowance (IU/day)

Infants 0 to 6 months * **

Infants 6 to 12 months * **

1 - 3 years old 700 **

4 - 8 years old 1,000 600

9 - 13 years old 1,300 600

14 - 18 years old 1,300 600

19 - 30 years old 1,000 600

31 - 50 years old 1,000 600

51 - 70 years old 1,000 600

• Posted

Layne

I have tried to send you the new recommended daily doses of calcium and Vitamin D.

However I would prefer that you google them yourself just to be sure.

I think the nurse might be right. Calcium is not something to fool around with if you know what I mean?

/luten can give rise to muscular aches, pains, throbbing joints. I tis called the Gluten syndrome. SOme drs in SHeffield have won prizes for their work in this field. Hallamshire hospital. 

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

the mod keeps deleting links giving info about drugs. 

No I don't. There is no problem adding links to drugs.com.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Sorry Mary, one more thing...Do you exercise? It can help with the depression and the anxiety. Get a good work out in, if you are able, and again check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
  • Posted

I'm sorry of your struggle Mary. Hang in there.

I recently found (finally!) some great guided meditation CDs. I wasn't sure about getting them, but am so glad I did. Perhaps I was in right time of my life to be able to get benefit from them but if they could help others too, that would be good. Search guided meditation for thyroid if you want. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.