I'm struggling to cope with my anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello

I am suffering with generalised anxiety disorder, it started at the end of September when I came back from holiday, I feel sick all the time, shaky, palpitations, negative thoughts, tummy troubles, fear being alone, I just don't know where to turn.

I am on Prozac 40 mg daily that only got increased today as I was only on 20mg, and I was referred to the mental health team and they put me on pregabalin 50mg twice daily about a month ago but still no joy.

I am only 25 and I have lost both my parents a few years back, and turnt to alcohol which put me in intensive care with slight brain damage that caused visual problems, but I can't ever drink alcohol again, but I keep getting negative thoughts about drinking again which I hate, and I feel so down and hopeless, I finished my last session of counselling yesterday and that hasn't even helped!

I don't know what to do, please can anyone tell me I'm not alone? I just want to cry

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

oh bless you! You have come to the right place to know you are not alone.

Go back to your doctor and tell him/her that you have negative feelings. They might admit you to a unit for a while which might help as you will get better help there.

Good luck love, I hope you go back to your doctor.

• Posted

Hi,

I don't need to go into a unit as I wouldn't do anything to hurt myself, it's just all the "what if's" I'm very insecure, but I have support around me, I just want all this anxiety to go away, and to feel my normal happy self again xx

• Posted

Hi Hollie unfortunately it will take time but i am sure you will. I have been on Prozac for 15months now but since talking to people on here it has made a difference. I also have feelings of dread as i have health anxiety. I can relate to you as my sister died 2 years ago and I haven't been the same, i just want to get back to normal too. The best advice atm i could give is to keep talking to people on here and your support group. I hope you feel better very soon. All the best to you. X
  • Posted

It's awful isn't if , i haven't got health anxiety, mine is generalised anxiety disorder, I dread each day, I was fine 4 months ago and then suddenly came back from holiday and all this started, I hate feeling so down!! I want to be back at work and not bothered about being alone, but it petrifies me, my appetite is very poor too, I'm just not hungry, and wake up with the feeling of fear everyday xx
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 58 and a long term GDA sufferer. Am on Prozac and Pregabalin. I had my car stolen 5 days ago and have been in an extreme state of GDA panic since. Never had it so bad. In the past I've been told to hang on and think happy thoughts by my consultant! Most of the time I get by. But when this starts it seems like forever and I've had enough. Am struggling to do the most basic things and shouting at myself to force the 'Demon' out of the way just to get out of bed! There does seem nothing can be done until this state naturally goes away. I use all the relaxation tips and advice I've been given, to no effect at all. I often wonder for whose benefit that sort of advice is for?

Is this what to expect for the rest of my life? If it is, then I truly don't want to be here the next time, as each episode is worse than the last time, and each is unbearable!

• Posted

Sorry, I pressed the button twice. I'm new to this internet stuff. Now I can look things up it's making a difference; like, when I have been told I have GAD I didn't realise that was a condition, I thought I was being told, 'Yes, it's general anxiety', which seemed to be such an inadequate descriptor for how I feel. Now I've looked it up I now know GAD is real, I've got it and I'm not imagining what's happening, and I'm not going to apologise for how I am anymore. I hope this is a positive attitude to start with.

Losing my car has left me totally isolated and I don't know how I'm going to manage. It was 30 years old so I won't get much if anything from insurance and I have no money to replace it. Have no family and 2 pals who live a long way away. Having this outlet has helped for an hour and I feel capable of opening a can of soup now! Since Friday I've had 2 cans. Can't eat.

Anyway this is a first for me and I hope I' m not abusing this facility or anyone's time.

• Posted

Hi Alex never apologize on how you feel. This is taking its toll on you, have you asked your gp to forward you on to a councillor of any sort as they should be able to help you. I know its not a very pleasant experience as I have it too but keep coming on this site it helps to know your not on your own and there's people to talk to that will make a difference. Chin up and go see your gp 😊

• Posted

Don't feel bad, we are all in the same boat, I'm having a very tough time, I'm off off my 2nd appointment with the mental health team as I feel no better, and being only 25 I want to feel how I did 4 months ago!! My main fear is being alone, I can't handle it as I have bad thoughts about taking all the tablets, I wouldn't do it, big it's just my anxiety and panic goes into overdrive, I go to my aunts Monday to Friday as she lives 3 doors away so when my fiancé goes to work, I go there until 5pm as I know my fiancé will be home soon! I don't know why I hate being alone all of a sudden, I used to love my own space, having a normal routine like getting up going to work , coming home, preparing dinner, but I'm off sick as i work in a pharmacy, and I also feel bad about leaving my dog all day, but I just can't be indoors on my own, it's such a horrible illness and I hope I have some luck tomorrow at the mental health services as I want to be my normal jolly self again xx
  • Posted

Hi, Hollie, John and Sally,

Didn't know how I was so popular! Well, I've just checked my e-mails before bed and I'm surprised to get ANY response. Just letting you know I've heard you.

Tomorrow I've got to try and deal with the car insurance paperwork; which is already freaking me out, but obviously a priority.

When all my essentials are dealt with I promise to respond to all 3 of you but in a single collective but inclusive reply.

XXX

• Posted

hi. still in the worst part of my day. Still in mega panic-at its worst-the fear of another day. Trying to collect my thoughts. My first impressions. You all have my sympathy and I do care. Appreciate I'm struggling.

GP and referals - I've been through all the various therapies since all this started in my mid 30's and derived much insight into my character and it's development, which have given me some understanding of where a lot of the damage was done, of this I'm very aware. My trouble is dealing with the uncontrollable subconscious. Its that that creates the panic and the struggle knowing it's irrational. My GP says he can't help and go to Mental Health where I'm basically reminded I've experience enough to know it will pass, so try to think posetively until then. That's about it! So I feel I'm on my own and HERE!

• Posted

Hi Alex first of all did you sort your car insurance out . One thing at a time , obviously we do not have a clue on your back ground and wouldn't want to pry anyway, but people can go through so much and come out the other end ok then there's others that are more aware and sensitive like the people on here. Keeping positive is so hard when people around you don't understand, taking each day at a time is your way of coping. I hope you feel better as each day come round. If you need to let out your thoughts get on here I come on here every day like most people . Take care 😊
  • Posted

Hi, Sally, thanks for your supportive attitude. I did deal with the car stuff once 'd calmed down a bit, and felt I'd accomplished something. Woke up in total panic and suicidal thoughts am. A desperate effort to start the day. Right now I feel I've improved a little XX
  • Posted

hi all. i have a very bad anxiety disorder (aad)acute,anxiety,disorder and take a lot of medication for it as well as adhd and autism i also have dyslexia so sorry for the spelling people ,i just want to let you all know your not alone with what your going thought and how you feel ,i no its easy to say but what i do every day is right knew day im going to be happy today and its very hard sometime but i work thought my anxiety 1 thing at a time and i find writing them all down in a list, thoughts ,feeling ,and what is making me feel anxious where am i what am i doing or what have i got to do that is making me feel this way i no you may think it sounds like to much to put down or you dont no what is making you feel the way you do just go with it write anything do pics,graph and then try and work out a plan of action or attack as it may feel some days take each 1 at a time and see if there is anything you can do or put in place to help with your anxiety.i call it my plan of attack like today .iv got to go to a meeting about my son it makes me feel hot,sweaty,heart racing,cant think s8 there going to think i stupid they can see my anxiety,so the night before i had put all this down so what i have done is first what time is the meeting what route am i going to drive,what do i need to take with me ,what is the meeting about ,can anyone come with me ,what i need to talk about trust me you might find it hard to do to start with i did but by planning and taking some control back that anxiety takes away from us is a bit of a buzz i carry my note book every where with me and i try and write my plan the night before when you get the hang of it you can do ur whole week before hand i no you might read this and think that is not going to work but i think everything is worth a try,put your self in my shoes iv done my plan its all worked out then being dyslexia no 1 can read what iv put i cant myself sometimes lol .the only people who think your off your head for doing this or having these feeling they may even be loved ones its because they dont no how to help you all i can say give it a go and do a list of things you have to do that day like need to shower,need to wash up,anything that is in your day you might think but that is every day stuff we have to do but by seeing it and then ticking it as you go your see in your day you have done a lot and your not a waster or you dont do anything which a lot of us feel well i know i do because its there in front of you your see for yourself give it a go all the best . thanks for reading take care everyone and if you need to chat drop me a msg try and keep cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi all. Am I glad I found this site. Geremy Vine R2 feature 'Men who crack' 12.00-2.00. I'll try and catch it today.

Another bad day but heading in the right direction, I hope. First thing in the morning is Crisis time every day. It's the adrenalin effects that make it so bad.

Up till now I've always tried to go into denial and put a brave face on for others and not feel humiliated. My present crisis illustrates that strategy is not enough sometimes. But I've never had something to cope with the more extreme levels. Which is why I've joined this blog.

I've always tried to find a 'magic wand'; I'm coming to realise that's the wrong way and also beginning to accept I'm stuck with this for life (after 20+ years of struggle).

Anyway, making these contributions and reading feedback gives my mind a none threat pool to open my heart.

• Posted

Not sure why my previous reply needs approval.

An additional comment or request from me is; how do you tell someone you're not coping and need the space to deal with it without being rude? ie. show some respect for MY problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.