I'm terrified of long term "silent-reflux"

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.

I think I may have silent reflux (LPR) or GERD. I'm not sure which one, but I've been having a weird feeling in my throat like it's sore. Or sometimes when I swallow something, I feel like I taste vomit within my throat. So I did the stupid thing of Googling all this, and I honestly regret it. I've been suffering from extreme anxiety the past week or so. I haven't been able to get anything done because of constant worrying, and I think my anxiety is making the symptoms worse.

I read somewhere that long-term silent reflux has a 78% chance of causing throat cancer or something? There were several articles on this. And this has spooked me out so much because they kept saying how silent reflux (LPR) is a direct cause for cancer in the throat. I've been crying so much the last week or so because I feel like I've been given a death sentence.

My symptoms were never severe, but the past week, I think they've gotten worse, mostly because of my anxiety. The symptoms for me weren't that bad, but ever since I went on Google and found out some stuff like the "throat cancer" information, it's been stressing me out like crazy.

I made a decision to live my life by brining down the acid (eating smaller meals, more fruits and veggies but obviously no citrus, and no spicy food or alcohol) etc. Are there anybody who has dealt with LPR for many years and learned to have it under control, or at least not have cancer as a result of it? 

I'm crying as I'm writing this because I'm so worried. I told myself that I'd make it a goal in life to reduce my acid reflux and NOT end up getting throat cancer. I want to be an example for people who might have the same problem as me in the future. So that they can have some hope too. But it's so hard because my worries get the best of me, and I can't seem to find hope within myself. 

I was hoping someone can help me out. I'm sorry if I sound pathetic. I really apologize  sad

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

By the way, I forgot to add this to my post, I don't know how to "edit post." Can't seem to find. But I've had GERD/LPR type symptoms ever since 7 months ago. I got most symptoms down under control by cutting down on all spicy foods, exercising more, etc, But ever since I read all that stuff on the Google, I've been so anxious and my symptoms are getting worse. Like, now I'm having like some kind of ear pain that I've never noticed before. Anyways, thought I'd add all that in, forgot to do it in my original post

• Posted

You mention your symptoms which suggests to me that you don't have silent reflux. The reason silent reflux carries perhaps a higher risk is because it is symptomless so, the person being unaware that there is a problem, the acid is left to do damage in the oesophagus and throat with no intervention. As others have said, see your doctor and ask her/him to address your fears.

• Posted

Thank yo for the reply. I'm also hoping that it's not LPR/Silent reflux. This all started 6 months ago, I did the idiotic thing of quitting my antidepressants cold turkey without weaning them off. I was okay for a few months but then all of a sudden I had BAD indegestion including neasea, reflux, etc. I went on Pantaparozole for 1 month only and went back to my antidepressants. It seems that the Pantaparozle helped a lot (even though I only took it for 1 month). Also, the anti-depressants didn't seem to cause any problems. But after Psychiatrist's supervision, I tapered off the anit-depressants this time instead of going cold turky. While doing so, I had NO indegestion problems but I've been having this weird feeling in my throat after going to the gym. It happens all the time after weight lifting where I'd feel some sort of acid or something in my throat. I don't know how to describe it but it's this "thirsty feeling" No matter how much water I drink, that feeling just doesn't go away. There's no cough or anything like that, just a throat that feels(minor) burning after eating, and dry after workouts. I will definitely see my general physician soon to stop my troubles.

• Posted

My dear if your worried about your health please go and see a doctor who will put your mind at ready and try to stay carm you are doing all the right things with diet are you currently taking any medication for you symptoms? If now maybe your doctor will prescribe you something to help 
    • Posted

Hi Gillian1956, thank you for taking the time to reply.

About my situation, I'm CURRENTLY not taking any medications for my symptoms. This is mainly because my symptoms of "heartburn" were never severe. Let me explain my situation. I used to be on anti-depressants like Zoloft/Clonazepam/Risperidone for the past 4  years of my life (on and off). This was to treat my severe anxiety. Zoloft was the main drug, while Clonazepam and Risperidone were the assisted drugs that I had to take alongside Zoloft. Eversince last year, I did the stupid thing by quitting my antidepressants cold turkey. It was stupid of me but I was tired of taking them and just quit. I was dealing with minor/bearable withdrawl symptoms for the first 4 months, but then all of a sudden. For some reason i started having bad indegestion. I had nausea, a little bit of vomiting, and it was a terrible feeling whenever I ate spicy/oily/flavored foods. It was so bad that I went on Pantaparozle for 1 whole month. And I went back to my antidepressants as well because my parents suspected that my stress had something to do with all this, and they encouraged me to go back to my Zoloft/Clonazepam/Risperidone combo. 

After a month of taking that Clonazepam, my symptoms practically disappeared. I had no more nausea or indegestion. I stopped taking Pantaparozle after my 1 month duration was over. Although my antidepressants were still continued but this time I was tapering off them with the help of my psychiatrist. I didn't stop cold turkey like last time. I tapered off them as directed by a professional. It's been 1 month and half that I've been off antidepressants properly. However, I felt like I might have minor symptoms of acid in my throat now and then. The symptoms never bothered me, they were very minor, almost unnoticeable. It was that feeling of having acid in my throat. Throat felt it felt very dry. Whenever I drank water, it just wouldn't fix it. This usually happenend after weight-lifting.

I've decided to get a different form of exercise and make dietary changes. The symptoms I'm feeling nowadays are not severe but I'm worried if that's because I have silent reflux. My biggest worry is that these minor symptoms are harmful in the long term even if they don't alter the quality of my life now. I'm mostly worried about the throat cancer article that I've read. That's what's bothering me, that damn C-word. I will be seeing my general physician soon, and seeing if he can refer me to a doctor that specializes in GERD.

• Posted

Hi

The first thing you need to do is get you gp to refer you to an ent surgeon who will put a small tube up your nose and down back of your throat he will be able to tell you straight away the condition of your throat and most likely be a better to put your mind at ease, thus in turn will make you feel relieved and relaxed so your symptoms will probably get better faster, worrying all day every day will make symptoms worse, are you on any ppi at the moment?

• Posted

Nope, not on PPI at the moment. I was 6 months ago. That's when I had my first GERD-like symptoms. I was never diagnosed with GERD, but had the symptoms. I'm guessing it all started because of my cold-turkey stopping of antidepressants like Zoloft/Risperidone/Clonazepam (stupid of me, I know). So I took 1 month of Pantaparozle and it cured all my symptoms. I've stopped taking them after the 1 month perscription. Also went back to my antidepressants during that time and over the course of the months I tapered off my anxiety meds/antidepressants with the help of my psychiatrist. Over the course of those months, I had very little problems with indegestion, like they went away completely. However, I felt like every now and then I had small amounts of acid come up to my throat. It's that feeling you get when acid hits your throat and you feel thirsty and no matter how much water you drink, that dry throat feel is still there. I'm pretty sure it's caused by acid. The problem felt very minor and did not lower the quality of my life. But I'm worried about letting this go on for many years. My biggest fear is that even small amounts of acid in my throat overtime will cause throat cancer or something. I'm going to see a general physician soon, and I'm going to ask him to refer me to a Gastro doctor or something. I just don't want to get cancer. I also have to find a new hobby other than weight lfiting because I noticed that weight lifting definitely causes this "dry throat' feeling from the acid. I've heard that weight lifters are at higher risk of acid reflux. I guess I'll have to stick to softer sports for now on like ping pong.  rolleyes

• Edited

Be calm! I have been through this! Dr. Google is not your best friend. Been there done that! Anxiety got the best of me to! Makes it worse! My symptoms, pressure upper abdomen, chest pain, sore throat, left ear always hurt, felt congested, short of breath constantly, felt like food stuck in mid chest, felt like lump in throat, stuffy nose tired if living like that! Went to doctor, first checked heart, blood work! All good! Put me in omprezole and sent me for barium swallow. Mild narrowing distal esophagus! Did my research dr. Google says bad! Sent for endoscopy! Inflammation of esophagus 5 biopseys and hiatal hernia! Stay on omprezole, strict diet, no stress, etc. 21/2 months and my life is back. Now weaning off meds! I know your pain but it does get better. I suffered for years! On top of that no more stuffy nose, I can breathe again! No earache! Medically doctor said not related but he said several patients have said it. Anxiety makes it worse! Statistically very rare to have cancer! I thought that too! Calm down and find a gastro doctor! Best wishes
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply Nancy, your story gives me a lot of hope. It relieves me when you said that cancer is "statistically rare." I don't know where you heard that, but it calms me either way and I hope it's true. Because if I had to deal with my symptoms my whole life, I'd actually be okay with. It's just that dreaded word "cancer" that fills my heart with anxiety. For me, the only symptoms I've had are a burning feeling the back of throat, and a dry feeling after weight lifting. The weight training one was the most bothersome because no matter how much water I drank, that feeling was still there. It would go away in like an hour but it's really bothersome now that I have to find a different activity. I actually liked weight training sad

For me, my symptoms were bearable, like it never altered the quality of my life. But what worries me is the cancer potential from longterm untreatment of minor symptoms. I've heard that in order for cancer to occer as a result of LPR, symptoms must be severe and go untreated for many years. 

I think the reason all this started was because I took antidepressants for my anxiety. If I'd known that it'd cause these gut problems, I'd NEVER sign up for those. It's a mistake that I've made and would not wish on my worst enemy. I'm scared that these antidepressant drugs I've taken (Zoloft/Resperidone/Clonazepam) have damaged my gut permanently. I've currently tapered off them with the help of a psychiatrist, and I hope my sphincter (or whatever it's called) heals. Even if it takes 3 years to heal, that would be a blessing. I actaully have no clue if it'll heal or not. My biggest fear is that the antidepressants have damaged my sphintcer forever. 

And thanks for the advice, I will see a Gastro doctor soon to see where I'm standing.

• Posted

Hang in there my friend and try and stop stressing so much it only makes things worse! Believe me I'm still having horrible issues and no answers for years! I'm here for you because I know what you're going through 😀

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I'm sorry you have been having trouble for years. I to have had problems as I was diagnosed with Silent Reflex three years ago. I have been taking a teaspoon of coconut oil in the morning and in the afternoon and it has really helped. I'm not saying it is the cure but it truly has helped me. I just thought I'd pass it on to who ever would like to try it. I wish you all the best and everyone else on here. Take care, Lorray

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. I hope the best for you, and I hope you get through this. If it helps, I've heard that people who do regular breathing exercises and take walks after dinner, they've have massive success with minimizing their symptoms. My biggest problem is the recommendation of eating 5-6 small meals per day instead of 3 big meals. I have a life outside of this, how can I possibly expect to follow that?

• Posted

Hi asheepman. I literally began the symptoms of silent reflux 2.5 weeks ago and things are looking better for me already! You will get through this! And yes i have anxiety and anxiety makes it way worse.

Just push through it. First and foremost read the book "dropping acid" by Dr.koufman. i am doing a low acid diet. Eating or drinking nothing under a 5 ph. Also only drinking alkaline water. Eternal or evamor are good brands. Eating bananas, oatmeal, and lots of fresh vegetables. I also take a zantac in the morning and one at night just to reduce my heartburn. I have both. It started as a lump in my throat. First thought was cancer of course. Felt like i was choking. think i got on google and learned about silent reflux. Went to my ent. He said my throat is very inflamed...definitely going to take a while to heal. Im assuming months. But i feel better and the lump now comes and goes, isnt steady. The phlem in my throat isnt as bad as it was. Im a little depressed that i probably can never eat red sauce again or potato chips but life goes on. Lol the thrive market online has a lot of good health options of "healthy snack foods". Also...i know i cant eat citrus and tomatoes but i think this bad flare up was caused by dairy. So im xing that out forever. Good luck and hope u feel better.

• Posted

I'm glad you're feeling better, it gives me hope. If you want some good news, I've read online on how a lot of people fixed their LPR. Obviously it took a few months because the throat has to be healed from inflammation (obviously doesn't heal overnight), but once that's over, they've been feeling GREAT! And in order to keep it from happening again, the most successful ones cut caffinee, alcohol, dairy, spicy foods from their diet. I geuss we won't be enjoying italian food or mexican food anymore like most people, but it's a small price to pay in order to live a healthier life. 

• Posted

There is definitely hope. I am sad ill never have red sauce again or mexican food. It truly hurts but id rather not have it than go through this again. Ive switched to cold press coffee with coconut sugar instead of regular. Also cut that to about 1/2 teaspoon instead of 4. Cut out dairy completly and been eating tons of fresh vegetables. They say eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I havent really done that. But ive snacked more in the day to make sure i dont get hungry and over eat. Its a long road but we will make it. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.