I'm terrified of long term "silent-reflux"

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.

I think I may have silent reflux (LPR) or GERD. I'm not sure which one, but I've been having a weird feeling in my throat like it's sore. Or sometimes when I swallow something, I feel like I taste vomit within my throat. So I did the stupid thing of Googling all this, and I honestly regret it. I've been suffering from extreme anxiety the past week or so. I haven't been able to get anything done because of constant worrying, and I think my anxiety is making the symptoms worse.

I read somewhere that long-term silent reflux has a 78% chance of causing throat cancer or something? There were several articles on this. And this has spooked me out so much because they kept saying how silent reflux (LPR) is a direct cause for cancer in the throat. I've been crying so much the last week or so because I feel like I've been given a death sentence.

My symptoms were never severe, but the past week, I think they've gotten worse, mostly because of my anxiety. The symptoms for me weren't that bad, but ever since I went on Google and found out some stuff like the "throat cancer" information, it's been stressing me out like crazy.

I made a decision to live my life by brining down the acid (eating smaller meals, more fruits and veggies but obviously no citrus, and no spicy food or alcohol) etc. Are there anybody who has dealt with LPR for many years and learned to have it under control, or at least not have cancer as a result of it? 

I'm crying as I'm writing this because I'm so worried. I told myself that I'd make it a goal in life to reduce my acid reflux and NOT end up getting throat cancer. I want to be an example for people who might have the same problem as me in the future. So that they can have some hope too. But it's so hard because my worries get the best of me, and I can't seem to find hope within myself. 

I was hoping someone can help me out. I'm sorry if I sound pathetic. I really apologize  sad

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also, an ear nose and throat doc can tell wants going on by the way your throat looks. That day in the office, not put asleep. A lot of times silent reflux goes unnoticed by GI docs because acid isnt always present. Once the damage is done (in the throat) it is inflamed for a while.
  • Posted

I have been eating pasta with red sauce. I take a pepcid (even though I am on Omprezole) before I eat it! I ask for it on the side! That way I put a small 😐amount on! Too hard to do without my pasta! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.