I'm very new to this Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 6 users are following.

What do you do when you can't move in bed or get comfortable 

Or run out of pain medication 

I'm only in this for 7 days now and I can't take this pain any longer 

Is it okay to keep you arm in s sling or should i be always trying to move my shoulder around to regain movement?? I merd some tips of anyone has any advice on how to sleep or to sling or not?! Thank you!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kelly -- Sorry you are going through this! I had surgery in April and have to undergo a second surgery as the first one did not do the job completely. Ugh!!

Whatever you do...KEEP THAT SHOULDER MOVING!! I was told to get rid of the sling the day after surgery - which I did. The more you keep it immoblie, the harder it will be for you.

I still can't get comfortable in bed most of the time. But pillows under your arm to prop it up definitely help! Ice helps too. Since you don't have any pain meds, maybe some Tylenol PM's or some other kind of PM medication? All I have are muscle relaxers which don't help much but better than nothing....

• Posted

Hi BrendaR

Thanks for your advice. Just woke up and pain is thru the roof!!! I will try Tylenol pm and will need to see a doc & physio asap too

Where I live there is a huge shortage of docs & they all don't prescribe meds that could touch this pain..( no opioids )that's why so much drug use on Streets and the fentynal crisis ( here in BC, Canada)

To be cont'd... gotta get moving here. Ughhhhh the agony. Like I said I'm new to this pain & I hope to stop whining about it soon?! Bare with me. All the messages I've read are pretty brave & positive - I hope to be there soon too. Have a great day !

• Posted

hi Brenda - hope you don't mind my asking.  When you said you had to get another surgery - what type of surgery was it?  Was it another MUA?  Thanks 

• Posted

The docs here only prescribe opiods for the initial surgery (about 4 days worth) and then nothing after that. We too have a drug problem here in the US and they are very hesitant to prescribe anything.
    • Posted

Maria - Yes I will be having another MUA and Arthroscopic Capsuiar Release. I have it scheduled for October 5th. My first one was this past April.
    • Posted

Hi Brenda 

I'm sorry you had to have a 2nd surgery. 

I will definitely keep arm moving now.

And try to prop up with pillow when sleeping

To be cont'd

Have a great day...

• Posted

No, do not keep your arm in the sling. You have to move it (gently) but keep move it, to regain movement. It's a slow and long-term process, but eventually you get better. It took me 2 years and Physical therapy (I said not to cirgury) but you will get better

• Posted

Hi Norma1847:

Okay . No sling ... at all? My arm gets soooo tired and sore ...

There's a year long wait for even an ultrasound here in BC!

Do you all have calcium deposits too?? Calcifitic tendonitis???

This is what the emerg doc has said I have, which caused this FS

So paitients  and hope and gritting teeth + physio......

Okay I can try that. Thank you & have a great day!

• Posted

Hi Norma 

I've kept my arm out of sling for the last 24 hours. Today I have a little more range of movement which is extremely encouraging!!!

Resting against my side while holding it with other arm when needing a rest!

Thanks for your message

• Posted

Hi Kelley

I had an orthroscopic surgery a week ago for shoulder debridement and subacromial decompression.  During surgery that's when they discovered I had FS too.  My advice is to call your ortho right away.  If you had a condition other than FS - maybe that's the reason why you need to keep in on a sling.  Otherwise if it's only FS - then I agree with the others that you need to keep it moving and start physical therapy soon.  But please check with your dr.  And take over the counter pain meds such as Ibuprofen.   Btw - check out YouTube also if you're interested in some exercises.  I recommend the pendulum to start with but of course make sure the Dr okays you to start exercises.  Goodluck!  I know the pain too well. 

• Posted

Hi

Keep the arm in sling when standing like 2 hours then remove sling the after some time hour or so keep in sling idea is to give rest arm and make it comfortable or depending on sling buy the door polley rope do the exercise with it till pain is managabale for sleeping put two pillows and next to it put two more pillows keep gape in pillows that much that when lye down you can rest your arm between pillows cavity and put the 5th pillow between your upper legs while lying on bed left or right side  i am doing this along with the before sleep give good massage of warm mastard seed oil and olive oil and black seed oil mixed I hope you get better any ?can ask me

• Posted

Hi syd: thank you. I will try these pillow ideas asap and I've been using tiger balm for 2 days. I have a bit of movement today!

ThNks so much

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

What we do know is that you don't have a frozen shoulder, not at least

ter 7 days of pain. It takes weeks or even months for a FS to get this bad.

Put your sling back on, with this amount of pain in a short time it's rest not movement and it won't stiffen up. Go and see your Doc or emergancy and tell them you have a subacromial acute bursitis which could be infected. Google this: it may sound overkill but it will get there attention. You perhaps need a needle in it to suck out the bad stuff or a needle to put in some good stuff. Feel if the skin around the joint is warmer.

I played rugby years ago and can remember players having similar omplaints.

• Posted

Hi again Frozen stiff-

If subacromial acute bursitis is infected that would be 'septic bursitis'?

I'm doing a lot of reading and research to prod these docs along and get me referrals asap

Appreciate your comments immensely 

Kelly

• Posted

kelly, so what did the Doc do for you that told you you may have a bursistis and what bursa did he say was the painfull one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.