I'm Worried About Kidney Failure? Please Any Advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm freaking out, the last few days nearly a week, I've not been peeing as much as normal. I'm still peeing, and it's pale to clear, I drink loads of water, probably a litre and a half a day, I haven't measured. 

I'm 30 yr old, female, Hypothyroid (on Eltroxin 50mg), also have PCOS, so am about 10 lbs overweight at the moment. I suffer with severe anxiety and also depression. 

I don't drink, never smoked, never taken drugs, I eat okay, could be better, but good enough. I'm not very active as I work at home. 

I'm just feeling really scared it's Kidney failure or Kidney disease, as I've just not been going for a pee as often last few days or so, no trouble peeing, no pain, no stomach pains. I do suffer with acid reflux if I've had a really bad day, and my left back shoulder blade is aching and burning really badly. I've been feeling a little short of breath or that my chest is tight but I was at my doctors yesterday, and he examined my chest and back with a stethoscope, and an Oximeter, and her did an ECG on my heart as well, and all came back normal and clear.WHAT IS IT? I'm seeing my doctor Friday about it, but I'm really scared about kidney failure, or sudden death. Advice?

I'm just feeling very scared at the moment, terrified it could lead to sudden death or something.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Brigid

What did your Doctor say when you told him???

And why are you counting the times you pee if you have no symptoms??

We are not doctors on here so the best advice would be from your doctor.

Maybe you are just absorbing more fluid or maybe you are weeing a bigger amount.

For peace of mind I dont count the times I pee. I may be concerned if i didnt pee at all and didnt feel need to pee either.

Did you doctor do a urine test amongst all the other tests??

• Posted

I think your anxiety has got the better of you x
    • Posted

Hi, I'm seeing my doctor on Friday, and will ask for a urine test to see, and explain all my symptoms as well to her.

I seen my other doctor yesterday as I felt short of breath, like a catching in my chest, so he examined my back and front with a stethoscope, and checked my oxygen with the Oximeter, and he also did an ECG as well, which all came back clear and fine he said. I suffer with severe health anxiety, so any change in my body, makes me very distressed and upset.

I don't count how many times I go, sometimes when I go, I pee a lot, which will be clear urine, then other times I go will be less pee, but will only be light yellow to clear. I'm watching how much I'm drinking, as I don't drink anything but water. 

I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, never done drugs.

• Posted

I think because I suffer so badly with my health anxiety, every little change in my body can cause me so much upset and distress. I'm seeing my doctor Friday as well, so will ask her about a urine test and maybe a blood test too, for me as well, as I'm just very upset at the moment and fear the worst, which then causes me to feel even worse.

• Posted

Brigidcooley,

Has your doctor checked your renal panel data? If not, that would be the place to start as far as ruling out problems with your renal function. Also a iron anslysis should probably be done to check for protein in your urine. You may have a irinary track infection. Although that typically causes cloudy urine and an urgency to eliminate fluid but an inability to produce much fluid.

Anyway, I would suspect some additional lab work may be helpful.

Marj

• Posted

I am seeing my doctor on Friday, and will ask her about urine test and blood tests and go from there. I suffer with severe health anxiety and any change in my body or any new ache or pain, or new symptoms can be very distressing and upsetting for me. 
    • Posted

As others have said, none of us are doctors who participate in this forum so it's good to hear that you are seeing your physician on Friday. She can decide if you need these labs or not. I'm sure the anxiety you experience creates more challenges for you as far as managing your medical care. But I suspect you will get good news regarding any tests that are run🐶 Let us know how your doctor's appointment hoes on Friday.

Marj

• Posted

Could it be dehydration? I have to drink more water in warmer weather since I perspire more during my gardening, etc. I know when I need to hydrate more often because I notice I don't need to go in side and use the bathroom as often. I start drinking even more and my bathroom pattern returns to normal.  Some people need more water. I agree with Marj, your best bet is to ask your Dr. and get some tests done. 

You don't list any symptoms of CKD. The shortness of breath could be due to anxiety wouldn't you think? 

Sudden death from what? You don't mention you have any illnesses.

• Posted

Sorry for late reply. It could be, but I'm going doctor because I'll only make myself worse if I don't. I'm peeing, I mean, I'm having no trouble peeing itself, just haven't been going as often as I usually do, but when I do, there's no trouble and there is plenty or urine, and it is almost always clear to a very light yellow. 

I worried because when I read about Kidney failure, it mentioned sudden death, so I got really scared.

Thanks for commenting.

• Posted

Please relax.  What you are experiencing is not an unusual thing.  Many people have this.  It can be caused by so many things, the last of which I personally believe is kidney failure.  We once rushed my father to the emergency room because he experienced such pain and had not urinated in days.  You know what his problem was?  simple constipation.  The bowels if too full expand and block the urinary tract so it can not eliminate as usual.  Another time I had a similar problem as you.  Was urinating but not as normal, more on occasion.  Turns out I had a kidney stone blocking the tract.  It passed and returned to normal.  A simple kidney infection can cause your "problem".  You are producing good colored urine, drinking as you should and are not experiencing any pain in the bladder.  Relax.  All these other things you listed are not CKD.  Pain in shoulder blade is muscular.  I personally just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy for such a apin.  Now you notice shortness of breath.  again not ckd related and your heart is fine (per your doctor), but your anxiety Is likely the cause of your discomfort.  You are doing the right thing to visit your doctor.  I don't think I ever heard of anyone, or read of anyone who experienced sudden death because they did not urinate as often as they think they should!!!!  Relax please.  CKD is not a condition that turns on one day, off the next, then back on, etc.  You are urinating and producing urine so your kidney is working.  It is clear.  Perfect.  I consume 70 to 100 ounces of water per day.  Some days I "live" in the bathroom from it, and 2 or 3 trips at night.  Others I go far less often and not a single night time trip.  It is nature.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for late reply. I'll try relax, but will see my doctor and discuss my worries with her. I'm going through a very stressful time in my life, worst I've been in years, but am trying my best everyday. Health anxiety is what affects me the worst, so any new symptom or sensation, makes me very uneasy and upset.

Thanks for commenting.

• Posted

Update: Today I seem to be peeing okay, but the last 3 days my upper left shoulder blade on my back and the back left side of my ribs have been tender and aching, I used a hot water bottle last night to ease my shoulder and ribs, which seemed to help,but it still aches a bit today. I notice a lot of cracking and popping in that shoulder blade, but because I read on Google about Kidney disease and Kidney Failure, I started panicking about it, that it might be a symptom of it? Or Pancreatic of some kind? I had seen my doctor last Friday about it, and he did a few exercises and asked if I had any coughing, checked my chest with a stethoscope. He said it could be something to do with scapula or something. I wasn't having my peeing thing at that time, only noticed that over the weekend, and stuff. I'm seeing my female doctor tomorrow about my missing periods for 3 months, and will talk to her about my other concerns too but I'm so scared it is something serious?

• Posted

ps. Everyone, as we age (and I don't mean you have to be a senior) will not have the same body as when we were teens.  Aches and pains happen.  They come, they go.  They are usually not even severe but simply we notice a slight change to our normal.  Don't over obsess about every little thing.  Every single change.  Trust me, as you advance in age you are going to be surprised at some things your body will go through.  Severe, long lasting, actually making you ill or presenting unusual symptoms, then go to your primary care and see what they thing.  Every little movement, or 2 or 3 days when the urine looks different but causes no discomfort, or things of this nature, if they bother you then go to the doctor, but most likely will pass.  But don't jump to such serious conditions as cancer, CKD, etc., over every change in your body.  If you do so you will be living at your doctors office.  But, it bothers you, then seeks medical help

• Posted

Yeah, I know. At the moment, I seem to see my doctors than any of my friends, and I don't have a social life at the moment because of the way I am, which probably is another thing not helping my situation, as I'm alone in my room, doing my work on the computer all day, so I have all day to myself and nothing but my thoughts to keep me company...and my dogs, but their not much conversationlists lol!

I understand, I only turned 30 last October but I feel about 80. I guess a lot of things have not helped me worries about healthy stuff, I lost my best friend in December, and that broke my heart, then my other friend lost her 3 year old and that was devastating for all of us, and those have affected me deeply. 

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and I will explain my symptoms and work from there. I was prescribed Propranolol (Beta-Blockers 80mg), but haven't taken them yet as was scared too, but I should probably take them for my own benefit when I feel so scared and my anxiety and fears become so uncontrollable I can't do anything.

Sorry for such a ramble, but those are what is happening to me, and I do worry about all those things, kidneys, pancreas, appendix, cancers, and so many things that it may be serious. 

Thanks for replying again.

• Posted

Rick, I couldn't agree more. My body presents many more aches and pains now than it used to; and often for no apparent reason. They tend to resolve in a day or so. It's "the oldness" that eventually comes to all of us🐶

Marj

• Posted

Bridgidcooley,

I also live alone and work primarily from home. It's easy to become quite the introvert isn't it? My dog gets me out walking daily. And I get out in the middle of the day every day to walk at a sports pavilion where there are quite a few people. I participate in several social groups that meet 1-2 times a month. So, I intentionally look for ways to get out of my house and interact with others. I also do a little volunteer work with a local nonprofit organization.

All of this really helps me manage the stress related to having CKD Stage IV (fairly low Stage IV).

I spent A LOT of time worrying about all of this when I was first diagnosed. As time passed and my renal function deteriorated, I worried less, I think in great part because I was feeling so poorly and really struggling just to function. My kidneys plummeted to Stage V where they stayed for nearly a year. That was a pretty rough year. I wasn't put on dialysis but I had very little renal function. So I was pretty sick.

At some point during that year I remember thinking that dialysis would have to be better than what I was experiencing on a daily basis. I found I was no longer worrying about progression of CKD or how long I would live. I just wanted to feel better and function reasonably well.

I shifted to a new nephrologist. He made a change in my treatment plan. And my kidneys showed some improvement. They are now in low Stage IV, too high for dialysis. I'm feeling MUCH better and am functioning quite well most days. I no longer stress out about all of this. I'm done worrying. I just focus on doing what my doctors tell me. Then I go about my day as normally as possible. So I am finally at peace with this situation.

I hope you will be able to reach a point of peace as well--and much more quickly than I did🐶

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.