I'm Worried About Kidney Failure? Please Any Advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm freaking out, the last few days nearly a week, I've not been peeing as much as normal. I'm still peeing, and it's pale to clear, I drink loads of water, probably a litre and a half a day, I haven't measured. 

I'm 30 yr old, female, Hypothyroid (on Eltroxin 50mg), also have PCOS, so am about 10 lbs overweight at the moment. I suffer with severe anxiety and also depression. 

I don't drink, never smoked, never taken drugs, I eat okay, could be better, but good enough. I'm not very active as I work at home. 

I'm just feeling really scared it's Kidney failure or Kidney disease, as I've just not been going for a pee as often last few days or so, no trouble peeing, no pain, no stomach pains. I do suffer with acid reflux if I've had a really bad day, and my left back shoulder blade is aching and burning really badly. I've been feeling a little short of breath or that my chest is tight but I was at my doctors yesterday, and he examined my chest and back with a stethoscope, and an Oximeter, and her did an ECG on my heart as well, and all came back normal and clear.WHAT IS IT? I'm seeing my doctor Friday about it, but I'm really scared about kidney failure, or sudden death. Advice?

I'm just feeling very scared at the moment, terrified it could lead to sudden death or something.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the exact same back pain conditions (actually as you say more between the shoulder blade and spine, and sometimes on other side of back).  NOTHING to do with kidneys.  Your kidneys are much lower in your back and do not cause "cracking" sound of bones.  My primary care sent me for physical therapy which was simply 30 minutes twice a week, where I was taught home exercises (really very easy and only about 5 minutes a day) and it all went away.  

• Posted

Yeah? I was panicking because when I read one of those medical sites, it said about upper back pain and kidneys, so it completely set me off and into a nervous state. I have a very sedentary lifestyle, which probably isn't helping, along with how I sit most of the day as I usually have a slouch or bent over posture, which is terrible I know and need to correct it. My mind was just focused on Kidney disease/failure or something to do with my pancreas/appendix or something, and getting really scared of it being something really serious.

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear you're on the mend as well. smile

• Posted

You sound like me. I have bad anxiety too. I am also worried about having chronic kidney disease, but I have about 5 of the symptoms that are listed on a few of the websites. I am getting ready to go to the doctor soon too. I am so scared about the blood tests because I am worried that the results will not be very good. I am so afraid to hear about the blood test results so i know how you feel. I kinda don't really want to know the results of my blood test, but I know that I will have to find out if anything is wrong sooner or later. I hope your doctors appointment goes well. 

• Posted

Your amazing Megan! Here's me with CHROINIC KIDNEY DISEASE and I have none of the symptoms and get you.. you have so many ...

Your problem is (as you have already stated) you are overweight and I suspect you feel guilty about it so you are maifesting a disease that will cover for your symptoms for beining overweight...

Symptoms of being overweight: tiredness, lethargy, palpitations, sweating, difficulty sleeping, difficulty in peeing , frequency, uti, back and joint pains, breathlessness, changes in urine colour from not being able to empty bladder completely, high blood pressure, diabetes, ..... the list is endless

HOWEVER:

very few overweight people have KIDNEY DISEASE!!

Now go loose some weight, get some excercise and get a life! You really are getting on my nerves!

• Posted

Megan, did you know there is a forum here for people that suffer with anxiety, they might be better able to help you overcome your fears of everything. I'm sure they can probably relate to what you are struggling with, they may have some great  suggestions for you that could be of some help while you wait to see the Dr. 

• Posted

No i didn't know that there was an anxiety forum here. I guess i will have to find it and check it out. I guess i just decided to post here because after my dentist told me i have high blood pressure I was reading online about it. And it said that people who have high blood pressure have a high risk for kidney disease and heart disease. So then i started reading about kidney disease and realized I have some of the symptoms that they list on a few different websites. And i know it's not good to worry about it unless the doctor tells me that they found a problem.  I guess i just worry because I am not sure how long i have had high blood pressure for. I could have had it for along time and not known it until now. Maybe it's good that i learned some about chronic kidney disease though. Because now at least i know to tell my doctor that i'm worried about having it. And i guess i can go on that anxiety forum and talk to those people about being worried about having chronic kidney disease. But they will probably say that they don't know anything about kidney disease. 

• Posted

Well when i was researching chronic kidney disease online alot of the websites said that people may have different symptoms because it can effect people differently. So everyone doesn't always have the same symptoms. I could just have different symptoms than most people do. And i know that most people with chronic kidney disease feel tired most of the time and don't feel well. There could still be people who have it but don't feel tired or sick yet. I was also reading older posts from people on this forum and some people were saying that they didn't start feeling sick and tired until they got to stage 5. I know i'm not in stage 5. but its possible that I could be in stage 3 or 4 and just not feel sick and tired yet. 

Also how do you know that only being overweight can cause changes in urine color? I thought the only way that urine color can change is either if someone is dehydrated, they have liver disease, or have kidney disease. That's what i read online at least. Also i read on many different websites that being over weight makes people at a very high risk for getting chronic kidney disease. And the reason for that is because alot of over weight people have high blood pressure or diabetes or both. I know i have high blood pressure already. And who knows i may have diabetes too and not know it. Well i hope you are right when you say you don't think i have kidney disease. Because i don't want to have it. But i just think there is a high chance that I do. I will find out pretty soon if I am worried for nothing or if i actually do have it like i suspect. 

• Posted

Megan

Please leave this forum and come back when you have seen your doctor like you said you would.

In the meantime have fun in one of the other forums try the following forums

Diabetes

High blood pressure

Overweight

Anxiety

Hyperchondriac

Personality disorder

The above should keep you occupied for a while.

• Posted

No one is going to appologise to you for a self induced illness.

YOU can actually prevent ALL of your health issues by loosing weight and exercising!

Yet you choose to whine about it instead of making yourself better!

• Posted

Megan, I truly hesitate to write you, because you simply will not listen anyway.  But I will try to show compassion.  You have angered many here.  No because you have fears the we mostly all think are not valid, but because no matter what we say, write, advise, you just ignore.  You do not consider others opinions.  And to write, day after day, upon theories you have, based upon no facts or medical knowledge or findings, and only on the internet, is simply silly.   You are overweight.  This contributes to your high blood pressure.  Yes high blood pressure is not good for the kidneys.  But it is equally, in fact probably moreso not good for your heart and other bodily functions.  Yet you continue to convince yourself you have CKD, without proof, without valid symptoms, without any real reason except what you perceive based upon what you read on the internet (which is so full of falsehoods it can never be considered reliable).  If you have a hair out of place you seem to relate it to something being wrong with your kidneys.  Totally silly.  It is proper to have concerns for your health but from what you describe, CKD is so far down on the list of things to consider, you are not seeing the forest because of the trees.  Your dangers of heart disease, stroke, heart attack, TIA's, are 1000 times more likely than kidney damage.  You dredge up that you probably have low calcium, caused by CKD, and this is cause of muscle twitches.  The first thing my kidney doctor told me to do was to STOP taking a calcium supplement because too much calcium is harmful to the kidney.  Yet you have found on the internet that low calcium is because of CKD.  And by the way muscle twitches are more likely caused by strained muscles from carrying all the excess weight you say you have.  One last consideration.  you say overweight leads to high blood pressure and this means you have CKD.  How many thousands of people in this world are overweight? MANY  How many have high blood pressure because of being overweight? ALL.  Do they all therefore have CKD?  Of course not.  But they all have heart problems.  go worry about that now.

• Posted

Rick, you are 100% correct!!! By far the most concerning issue for Megan, if what she has told us is true, is her hypertension and her morbid obesity. (She has said she is 300 pounds overweight. If that is accurate she is clearly morbidly obese. That places her cardiovascular system at extreme risk for serious problems.)

She really does, as others have said, need to get to the doctor. She needs immediate treatment for hypertension and long term treatment that includes significant weight loss. But she seems determined to do anything but these things. At some point her heart will malfunction based both on her hypertension and her morbid obesity. Then she'll be in the emergency room at the hospital OR dead.

Megan is the only one who can change her future. I have intentionally stopped responding to her as I don't want to encourage ongoing dysfunctional behavior on her part. The rest of us participating on this forum are juggling some pretty serious medical issues in our own lives. I just hope we will each, individually, refocus our attention on taking care of ourselves and providing support for one another in this forum.

We sometimes have unscrupulous persons who join specifically to solic business for themselves. Of course we ignore them as well as report them to the moderator so they are banned from participating.

Megan is a different situation but seems to be equally upsetting for many participating in this forum. That is certainly concerning for the regular participants. But it is also not good for Megan to keep enabling her dysfunction. 

Consequently, I will continue my "planned ignorance" for her comments until such point in time that she posts with actual lab results indicating that she has CKD.

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.