I might be poisoned for suspected prostatitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I had some issues urinating so I went to my doctor and he ended up doing a rectal exam and said that my prostate was a bit enlarged for a 24 year old, and he suspected a prostate infection. He then prescribed me cipro 500 mg x 2 for 7 days. I started taking the cipro that day itself and felt fine, however the second day at night I felt a strange warm sensation down my leg and it got me curious. I searched up the drug and was horrified at the side effects that the doctor didn't even tell me about, I stopped taking it immediately, in total I had consumed 5 tabs of cipro that were 500mg each. The next day I didn't have any pain, however I felt a bit of weakness in my legs and and night once again felt a warm sensation through my arm and my feet. I'm worried if this means it caused permanent damage to my nerves as, I've always been an active person and had a clean diet, has anyone heard of people that have had no side effects from cipro being on a longer course than me ? Also what should I do now, should I just continue eating healthy and hope that these symptoms don't worsen and progress ?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You have a few things to do.

Are you free of symptoms now? 5 tablets from any course of antibiotics has probably not cured you. Get back to the doctor, the same one or another at your practice and stress what happened to you, ask why routinely put on Cipro and not told of side effects also why sample not tested to see what was going on and if something else might cure it that was more targeted.

Ask for a note to go on medical notes re Flouroquinolenes, fill out a yellow card and get your doctor to tell you where they can be found online.

If you feel okay in yourself try doing what you did day to day pre the Cipro, believe me if your body has been affected it will become obvious. If you are effected there is plenty of tips and advice on here and linked to it.

• Posted

It has been 3 days since I stopped taking cipro, however there are still some symptoms such as burning sensations in the foot, and small aches in the calves and ankles from time to time. I hope taking some rest will slow down the deterioration that this drug is doing to my body, and hopefully my body can recover. Old bob how was your experience with cipro ?, did you have a large or small dose and how did your symptoms progress and how fast did they appear ? 
  • Posted

praj7 you did the right thing by stopping. The odds are on your side that your body will recover. I wish I had been as alert as you, now I am paying the price....health completely ruined and drs who have not got a clue.
    • Posted

I just hope I stopped in time, I'm sorry to hear about your condition. How much cipro were you prescribed and when did your symptoms start to appear? did the symptoms go away or are you still battling with them till this day ? 

• Posted

I was prescribed 750mg twice a day for 7 days. weird sensations began within hours, but because this was the first pill ever from a dr, I assumed it was doing good and I continued the course. Drs know nowt about Cipro and care less. Health went from 95% plus, down to 10%. Its now approx. 20%. Dreadful life. Dr not bovvered.
  • Posted

Hi Praj,

Old Bob is right - and well done to you for researching it so soon!  5  tablets is not too bad when you consider some take two full courses or more.  Did the doc prescribe it for 4 weeks?  This is the usual dose for prostatitis.  Unfortunately the NICE guidelines say to give Cipro without waiting for any culture results.  I think this is because it's hard to actually find out if there is an infection in the prostate so the idea is to zap it - just in case!

As Bob says, there are many discussions on here about the affects of Cipro and the other Quinolones (also called fluoroquinolones) including lists of all the names etc.  A good place to begin is this one started by the Moderator which gives several helpful addresses:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

If you're in the UK please send in a Yellow Card to report your adverse reaction (an address is also there if you're US).  Do tell the doc what happened.  He will probably say it's unlikely to be the Cipro as the side effects are very 'rare' - this is a myth perpetuated by doctors who don't believe the symptoms so never report it so it always looks like no one ever gets them.  Thousands of people get them!

It's very important that you NEVER take another Quinolone - so ask your doctor to put this on your notes.  The packet leaflets actually say you shouldn't be given them if you've had a reaction - which you have - so absolutely insist on this.  You may be lucky and get away with it this time with no other issues but any next time would be much worse as the effects are cumulative.

It's VERY important that you don't take any Ibuprofen or other NSAID for the pain (Paracetamol will be ok if you need something). Also don't take any steroids of any kind as these and NSAIDs can make your existing symptoms worse or even bring on new symptoms. 

The weakness and warm feelings are the Cipro getting to work on creating havoc in your muscles and tendons.  Look into taking antioxidants through your diet and supplements as the worst damage is caused by oxidation - high dose Vit C is a good start.  Also take a supplement of magnesium or even better, a good quality mixed- mineral supplement that also has selenium, zinc and magnesium as all of the essential minerals are leached out by the Cipro.  If your legs get really painful you could try putting a handful of Epsom salts into a bath and soaking for 10 mins. 

Finally, don't try to exercise through the pain - you will make things a lot worse.  The best thing you can do is rest and read up as much as you can about it.  You will find some absolute horror stories but please don't despair as you have hopefully stopped taking them before too much damage is done.  

How long has it been since your last tablet?  If it's only a matter of days load up on dairy products (the leaflet says to avoid dairy!) as they will help mop up any lingering Cipro and hopefully get rid of it.  Also, the Cipro will have cleared out your gut bacteria - the essential good ones along with any bad, so you will need live yoghurt to start replenishing the good stuff.  Other probiotics will help too - you can buy them in capsules of go for fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir and live yoghurt.  You may find you get feeling of depression, anxiety or maybe insomnia and/or panic attacks.  These are frightening but very normal so try very hard not to let them upset you.  Easy for me to say but they will pass and, hopefully, now you'll know what they are - if you get them.

There are loads of support groups on face book etc.  Some are open and you can read the discussions while others are closed which some people find safer.  The discussions on here will keep you busy for a while as well! 

Welcome to the floxie community!  Sorry you've been forced to join us but I hope you will find a lot of help and support from others who got here before you (like Old Bob there!).

• Posted

thank you so much for all the advice miriam, I just hope I stopped in time. Today I stocked up and calcium rich and magnesium rich foods, only thing that concerns me is the small aches I got in my calves today. The doc had prescribed the cipro for just 7 days, but I'm glad I stopped when I did, because I def do feel some muscle aches I didn't have before. How was your experience with cipro, did you have a large dose or a small one, and did your symptoms get better with time ? 

• Posted

Hi Praj,

I'm not floxed myself but my husband was.  He was in agony but he was bed-bound anyway from an ongoing illness so wasn't able to move about.  I believe this saved him from getting any damage to his muscles and tendons.  Try soaking them with the Epsom salts in the bath.  The salts contain magnesium and soaking get the mag directly into the skin.  There's also a magnesium spray you can buy if soaking isn't an option.

If you have aches you must be very gentle with your movements and rest often so that your legs don't get a chance to feel they're being 'pushed'.  Do you work?  If it's physical you may need to make some changes to what you do.

Don't pay too much attention to how much other people took and how long they had problems for.  Everyone is very different and it depends on their genetic make-up, previous fitness, lifestyle and all that.  No one is the same as anyone else and this isn't an illness that has a normal course like flu or chicken-pox etc.  And notice that 'old' Bob says he's started physio after TWO years.  Physio and exercise of any kind are definitely not a good idea for you at the moment - you need to protect your muscles from any kind of damage while they're busy fighting off attacks on the inside.

Take care - and keep writing here until you find a group.  This isn't any ordinary 'side effect', this is actual damage that may take a few months or more for you to get over.  We'll keep an eye on you!

Check out the support groups as you will probably find a lot of helpful advice as well as benefit from 'chatting' with others who are going through the same thing if you find one to join. 

• Posted

It is important that if you can you move about but dont overdo it with physical exercise especially in your legs until it becomes more obvious what is going on. The issue being your bodies other muscles will take over the role of those possibly damaged/weakened by the Cipro as a compensatory measure and cause pain elsewhere.

It is now just under two years since my injuries occurred and I have been lucky in a way. I could still work in a fashion which for me is practical work but doing that caused the problems I have outlined you need to be careful about above.

I am now having physio, yes now after almost two years, to effectively awaken and strengthen the muscles damaged and undo the compensatory muscles that took over. Cant believe you were only prescribed that stuff for 7 days hardly seems worth inflicting it on someone for that time surely there are alternatives, I was on it for a month.

Listen to Miriams words and read up on the effects, dont get too worried but be concerned.

• Posted

Old Bob,

Thanks for the kind and wise words.

You go steady with that physio!

Take care,

Miriam

• Posted

Hi Praj,

Just wondered how you're getting on?

• Posted

hey miriam. thanks for checking in on me . I have noticed that the burning sensations in my arms and legs have mostly stopped however I do get occasional aches in my ankles, and have started soaking my feet in epsom salt baths. I have not gone to the gym or exercised during this time, and I think it may have greatly minimized any harm I would have experienced. However the main side effects I'm experiencing is insomnia and feeling like I'm not my self, it's hard to explain but just don't feel like myself. Hopefully these symptoms subside, as my urinary issues are still persisting, I will have to go back to the doctor and maybe try an alternative antibiotic for prostatitis.

• Posted

Hi, that's good to hear and I'm pleased the Epsom salts are helping.  They help magnesium get direct into the muscles where it's needed.  You can also buy a magnesium spray to target painful areas.

The insomnia is all part and parcel of the usual symptoms and should pass in time.  The best thing is to 'go with the flow' and not get wound up about it.  Some manage to read until they doze off (TV is not really ideal), while others listen to relaxing music or stories on headphones - find what works best for you. 

Not feeling 'yourself' is also common, and some say they feel as if they're watching themselves in a movie.  This is because the Cipro affects your central nervous system and mucks about with your brain a bit.  It should pass in time as well. 

Check out all the stuff I said before and keep on doing it.  Never, ever, take another Cipro or other Fluoroquinolone antibiotic ever again.  Learn the group name and also the individual names - Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin, Norfloxacin and Ofloxacin (and then there may be others!).  Some people have medi-alert bracelets with it on in case they're unconscious for some reason and given IV Cipro or other Quin.  Don't leave it to chance, another dose dose might be too hard for your poor body to get over.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.