I need feed back on hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 10 users are following.

My hemorrhoids got bad 2 months ago to where the doctor recommended the hemorrhoidectomy. He said they are internal prolapse hemorrhoids. I went to the e.r. a month ago because I couldn't push them back in and it was painful. I changed my diet lost 12 pounds and it helped for two weeks and I felt great. These last two weeks I been miserable having to push them back in, using creams and sitz bathes I don't like, it makes it feels like their bulging out and hurt. Its like a bunch of grapes I have to push back in and now I have pain and stinging. I know this isn't nothing compared to the hemorrhoidectomy but I am deathly afraid of the surgery since I been reading alot of the forums on here. I really think I need it done and I would like to hear if anyone was able to make the pain less severe after a week or any opions would help. I'm in Michigan.. nobody ever says where they are from on here. I'm really scared, I dont know how everyone on here did it but I hope it improved your bathroom visits back to normal.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have a shower with a cord and shower head it will be very helpful. When you use the toilet do not bother using the roll to avoid that pain. Just  wash it with warm water for as long as you wish to reduce the pain.

Also when given the antibiotics and pain killers please make sure you take it as prescribed. It works. 

Do not forget to get some pads as well. They are very helpful. 

• Posted

I dont know if my comment showed up but I'll write it again.. how long did it take you to feel somewhat comfortable? I hear the first week is the worse and two weeks is bad also. I know everyone is different, I just want some insight on some people's pain in days or weeks and was it hard to sleep

• Posted

Valerie I had prolapse hemorrhoid stage 4 misfire my first operation was where they stapled them and it was pretty severely painful and 3 months later after that had to get my external ones removed and from there I got an abscess what should I have operation had that dream then I got a fistula was so I had to get a seton.then I just finally got a lift procedure finally hopefully finish it all up I'm not going to lie but the surgeries do hurt especially if the stapling. But everyone is different, good luck if you have any question plz ask

Jaime

• Posted

Thank you for the input.. sorry you have to go thru all that. That's something I don't want to happen is repeated surgeries.

• Posted

Hi Valerie , might be worth trying some of the less invasive surgeries first before the full op , such as THD , Halo or banding . They are slightly less succesful with some people , but you may be lucky and be one of the succesful ones . These surgeries give a small level of discomfort , but nothing at all compared to the full op . Personally I have had 4 banding procedures , 3 THD , and last time was full op . Good luck valerie .
    • Posted

I was thinking about that but I don't wanna have to keep going back for different procedures, which sounds like you had to. I've noticed others on some sights saying they got banding done and it made things worse. Some it works for some it don't, like my husband he got banded and he hasn't had no problems only because his hemorrhoids weren't as bad as mine.

• Posted

I honestly think it really matters on your body and how bad your hemorrhoids are and how good your doctor is so you can never tell what you're going to need surgery wise just have to jump and leave and I'm just glad even though I so many surgeries that I am where I am because before it was horrible

• Posted

Mine prolapse when I use the bathroom I have to put them back in. There's no bleeding just dull hard pain that lasts for hours. Today was the first day in 4 days that I had atleast 5 hrs of a normal day. Its definitely horrible every day having pain but I can tolerate it. It's just interfering with my life to where I can't really go anywhere. Always having the urge to potty but its just pressure most of the time which sucks because it makes the hemorrhoids prolapse and i have to start all over with the pain.

• Posted

Hi Valerie , I dont think the success of banding or THD is directly related to the severity of the haemorrhoids , it's more to do with the success of cutting off the blood supply to the haemorrhoids . All of the bandings I have had , have not been successful , but thats just down to my particular condition . I know others , just like your husband , who have been successful . My first THD did give a degree of success , but due to other factors , the condtion came back after about 6 months . To be honest the THD was simple , very little discomfort at all , and only 2 or 3 days out of my life . In my humble opinion , having had the full haemorrhoidectomy , and all the pain that comes with it , I would choose to try Halo or THD first .

Having read one of your other replies , where you say you prolapse when you go to the toilet . You might want to have your lower bowel checked in case it is 'telescoping' . Thats where the lining comes out with the stool , and totally resembles a haemorrhoid . A telescoping bowel will clear after a few hours , or during an overnight sleep when muscles relax . A pile likely wont . 

At the minute I have two surgeons telling me different things , one has carried out surgeries on me , and says what he has done is right . The other says he want to carry out corrective surgery , as he suspects the other surgeon has made an error of judgement , and done the wrong procedure . ie carried out a haemorrhoidectomy on a telescoping bowel . Just bear that in mind .

• Posted

Thank you for your input. When I do prolapse its like a bunch of grapes I have to push back in after my second or third bowel movement of the day. Seems I never clean all the way out. The doctor said its because some of my feces is getting trapped above the hemorrhoids and that's why I get pressure and feel like I have to go all the time. Having those bathroom runs throughout the day is what makes my bottom have sharp dull pains half the day. I will, however ask about other options since the nurse is supposed to call me back today. Sorry to hear you have to go thru so much with your problems, I wish one fix would cure us all sad Wishing, praying and hoping for a miracle is all I can do.

• Posted

All sounds oh so familiar Valerie . The fact that you mention grapes makes it more likley that it isnt a telescoping bowel , and just plain and simple piles . It can be a real nightmare trying to get clean after going to the toilet sometimes , and the household bill for loo roll must be double what it should be . I have managed to minimise that somewhat , by doing a few things . It might not work for you , but it does for me , but worth giving it a go . Softer stools are easier but messier to pass . Harder stools are what we are supposed to avoid , but.... by eating loads of salad stuff , avoiding bread , not taking any softeners or laxatives , I can poo like a rabbit biggrin . Harder purls , which are not messy , and by controlling muscles in my back side , can pass them easy . Also , have a look online at the correct position for doing a poo ( squatting , and using a squatting stool ), because most people dont know that our seating position in the western world doesnt allow that lassoo muscle we have in our back side , to loosen off . There are exercises we are supposed to do , which giives us more control of our sphincter . Also by putting my arms straight up and leaning forward as i poo , helps immensely . Hopefully as well as giving you some entertainment , it might actually work for you too .  

• Posted

About everything you mentioned I have been doing. Putting my feet up in a stool in a squatting position and deep breathing. I eat a lot of fiber foods and have no problem going to the bathroom it just comes right out and its formed and not hard. Its just I always go atleast 3 times within 3 hrs in the morning and more I go the more it makes the hemorrhoids swell and I aint straining. This morning however I had a perfect bathroom break.. then 2 more after that and the 3rd one made the hemorrhoids come out a little but not as bad as the other days. It did make it sore though.. I almost felt like today I had recovered but I know I didn't sad .. first decent day I had in a week. I just wish and hope I dont have to get the full surgery.

• Posted

Hi there. Not sure if ur still active.  

You mentioned you go 3 times In the morning. This is exactly what's happening to me. Every time I go I feel like I'm undoing the op 

When did this get better??

I sure hope someone tells me it gets better. I feel like constantly going to the loo.  This can't be good for recovery

I'm not constipated. The stool is soft and easy to pass once i get thru the initial what feels like knife cuts 

• Posted

Hi Valerie, I'm in Australia and I had a hemorrhoidectomy just over 2 weeks ago with that I also had banding of an internal hemorrhoid and they cut a large skin tag off that had prolapse. I would like to say don't read all the stories people have shared as your case is not the same but I think it actually helped me in the end. I freaked out at all the pain people had gone through and it prepared me for the worse.

I was luckily enough to not have a bad recovery, I don't know if my case was not as bad as other or if I heal quicker or if it was down to the surgeon but from my experience it was the best thing I've ever done and after 2 weeks I'm feeling 100%.

My advice would be to always be on top of your pain killers, take them before the pain sets in. Especially the ones to help with inflammatory. If you can (I couldn't) try be on a liquid diet for the first few days and slowly introduce solids. Being constipated was the killer I only went through it for a few days but they were the worse. Eat only high fibre foods and drink lots of water. If you can try get up and walking around the house. I didn't have a bath so after every bm I would sit in the shower or sit on my knees and put my butt up to the water lol. I also got wet wipes to use.

It's 2 weeks since the operation and I am now off the pain killers and liquid laxatives and have been having pain free bm every day. It does get hard some days but you just got to remember it's worth it in the long run.

• Posted

How long was your recovery time? How long before you were up an about?

I'm having this done thursday. I'm hoping to be back on class (I'm a college student) 6 days later. Do you think that's reasonable?

• Posted

I had the surgery on a Thursday and didn't return back to work the following Monday so I had a good 10 days to recover. I had originally plan to go back the Wednesday but I thought the extra few days would be better and it was. Depending on how long your classes go for you could be good to go back. I would recommend bringing a pillow or something the less pressure you put on it when standing up is better.

• Posted

And the pain wasn't too bad? I keep reading it's worse than child birth...having gone through that twice, I am.a bit apprehensive to say the least.

• Posted

For me it wasn't too bad, I kept up with my pain killers. I would 100% go through this again over child birth or in my case labour and c section. Everyone is different and every case is different. Just prepare for the worse and you won't need if it's good you will be happy and if it isn't at least you prepared yourself mentally. The biggest pain is constipation if you can avoid that your good lol

• Posted

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with your surgery. I'm still scared to get it done. The doctor and nurse highly recommended I try eating healthy to see if it would help and it did for awhile but I have more bad days and barely any good days. I have 2 weeks to decide if I want it done sad I don't know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.