I need help ASAP!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello its night time right now for me, and my acid reflux is KILLING ME. I am currently on Protonix (I take it in the morning) for the past 3 days.  I took 2 pills of Zantac 75 (not at the same time) two hours ago and I am still getting acid reflux. I am seriously about to go out and get some Gaviscon would it be a good or bad idea?? My doctor told me if I don't like the PPIs I could try Gaviscon

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, there are many different "types of reflux" and all come with different symptoms. What symptoms are giving you the most issues and preventing you from sleep? (the reason I ask is because there are different ways of relieving different symptoms)
    • Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention, Dry mouth, heartburn, nausea, dry tongue(white stuff on the tongue), neck tightness, lots of mucus back of throat
    • Posted

Sounds exactly like reflux. (my advice is only what helped me overcome this horrible disease, everyone is different) If night time is your biggest problem you need to leave at least 3 hours after eating before going to bed, also avoid caffeine and alcohol.make your last meal light and avoid saturated fat and strong flavours such as onion, garlic, tomatoes. Gaviscon helped me but only the double action stuff. Deep heat helped on my sore neck and shoulder and mouthwash for dry mouth helped my tongue (reflux can also make you prone to oral thrush so it maybe worth trying a treatment for that)

Try to sleep more upright.

I know the lifestyle advice is boring and annoying but it has helped me feel so much better....last summer I was in such a mess with reflux I didn't want to live anymore.

The biggest saviour for me was a drug called omeprazole, you have to get it on prescription, after 3 months of taking it I got my life and my sleep back!!

I hope you find some relief from this advice, this forum helped me through the worst time for me, id like to try to help others suffering now xx

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! Glad to hear someone else has gone through the same thing as me. I am using Protonix (pantoprazole) which is a PPI like omeprazole. Did it take a while for the omeprazole to kick in? I ahve only been on my prescription for a couple days.

Also, I feel like I can't get through the night without medication. Have you ever used gaviscon for sleep for when the omeprazole wasn't working? Zantac doesn't seem to be working anymore.. I still get symtpoms..

• Posted

Yes I did use Gaviscon....ALOT! and it helped. But once the ppi started working I dont use it anymore.

The omeprazole took about 2 months till I started to feel the effects and about 4months till I felt completely better, I had to come off it a month ago for an endoscopy and I started to feel bad again so it shows its working!

Whilst I was bad at first I did get some diazepam from the doc to help me sleep, and relax me a bit, I know its not everyone's choice to take it (including me) but I was desperate at the time and it did its job at helping me to sleep through the pain and discomfort.

Please just bare with the ppi's if they work for you like they did for me you will be feeling better in time x

• Posted

Ps. Zantac never worked for me x
    • Posted

Alright thanks for the tips! Going to go buy some Gaviscon now. God this conversation has made me feel a lot better and relieved me from all my anxiety.. I will post here again soon and let everyone know how I'm doing. Thanks again smile 
    • Posted

Get double action Gaviscon it works so much better!

And my doc told me you cant overdose so take plenty.

There is light at the end of your tunnel!

Take care and yes please let us know how your doing!

The great thing about this forum is the door is always open and people understand....

You are not alone xx

• Posted

I was prescribed ESOmeprazole and after a few months of taking this, the heartburn has gone but my dry mouth, white tongue and the mucus in my throat are just as bad as ever. The corners of my mouth have been splitting for two or three years now and all the candida mess fail to get rid of it permanently.  Some mornings I wake up and my mouth and lips feel as if I have eaten glue. This is one horrible condition! xx
    • Posted

The esomeprazole will have reduced the acid that was causing the heartburn, but not the reflux that is causing the other symptoms.

See www DownWithAcid org uk and find the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux.

• Posted

The sore throat was the hardest for me to get rid of. For me it was more of a burning pain, in the end the only thing that relieved it was paracetamol, but then they don't help the acid in stomach, things like icecream and I also drank alot of hot water with honey and lemon that was always soothing although didn't last.

I'm so pleased the Gaviscon is helping you a bit, just give the ppi time to work xx

• Posted

Alright I guess I just have to deal with him. Have you gotten constant mucus in the throat? I think that is the main thing bothering me now and the gaviscon doesn't seem to help with that.

P.S. I can't get the gaviscon double because it's not available in Canada. I only have the originals, but it does help me a little bit.

• Posted

You have to remember that acid reflux has two elements: acid and reflux.

All the medications will reduce acid but may not help with the reflux.

All the symptoms you describe are of reflux more than acid.

To control reflux, you need to follow lifestyle changes:

Lose weight if necessary, do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often, avoid tight clothing, avoid exercise after food that will compress the stomach, leave at least 3 hours bewteen your last meal and going to bed, raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks...

Visit www DownWithAcid org uk for fuller descriptions of the compnents of acid and reflux and the management thereof.

• Posted

I found taking activated charcoal pills after meals from the health shop also helped when mine was at its worst.

Try cutting out wheat products as this was a key factor with me

Good luck, i know how you feel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.